Page 477 of 782 FirstFirst ... 377427467475476477478479487527577 ... LastLast
Results 4,761 to 4,770 of 7813

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 477

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm so glad that you're having revelations about your gut! I'm still nowhere near figuring out mine...

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Speaking of which, I had ice cream last night and slept poorly. I'm very tired today.
    It always amazes me how different we all are. After sugar I sleep like the dead! Particularly ice cream
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member

Gluten-free day 11

I think I'll stop tracking the days once I hit two weeks. I should be gluten-free for at least the rest of the month, since Hulky will be gone & I'll be trying the SCD or something like it. The strict adherence scares me...

Another rough night of sleep. I finished the ice cream last night (Ben & Jerry's vanilla w/ Heath bar, don't know what it's called) and had an episode of anxiety around bedtime. I talked myself through it, took a GABA Calm, put in ear plugs (Hulky was playing video games online w/ friends in the other room), and started dozing off before the GABA Calm had totally melted under my tongue. Since I swapped beds (to the pillow-top, we've been sleeping on my Ikea bed in the computer room all summer, it's much firmer) last night, I expected not to sleep as well, but I slept basically fine. I used to always sleep badly on the first night of a new "location" (travelling or just any different bed), but I guess that's changing now that I sleep more...efficiently? I did snooze with Hulky this morning, so no time for the neti pot. I think I'll get one of those little saline bottles so I can do the quickie version to loosen things up on lazy mornings.

Sleepiness combined with congestion = rough ride this morning. I felt like I had no air, like it was very humid out (hint: it's not).

I read all of Breaking the Vicious Cycle last night. I marked a ton of passages with little post-it tabs. I'll post some of the marked stuff later this week. Tomi, a lot of it made me think of you. It starts off with a history of celiac disease and various scientists' studies on poor digestion & health. It explains how carbohydrates get processed by the stomach & intestines (enzymes & absorption), as well as the different kinds of carbs (poly-, mono-, and di-sacchirides). There's a lot of testimonial information in it, which is reassuring, but none of the examples really fit my own issue. It's focused primarily on celiac disease, which is only an official diagnosis with certain criteria, such as certain stool types, damage to the microvilli in the intestines, & extreme weight loss/evidence of malnutrition. It also focuses mostly on diarrhea. When my gut isn't super inflamed & I avoid dairy, non-compliant ("non-paleo") can give me diarrhea, but I'm mostly usually constipated. Maybe this will still help.

I'm checking out the SCDLifestyle website today. I signed up for some free info and it sent a different intro diet than the BTVC book describes. It's dairy-free and seems easier to follow, though rather boring. In the beginning, it's just chicken soup (with veggies removed after cooking), pureed carrots, and watered down juice. Not sure at this point what I'll do, but I want to do all my shopping & cooking on Sunday.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    You are such a scientist!!!! Keep digging and you will find what works for you!

I am trying to ease restrictions, eat real food, be calm, and take just a few supplements. I figure one day I'll fall into the right thing for me. My diet is sooooo much better than 2 years ago when I did the Whole 30, but I still have adjustments to make.

Onward and upward!

Easing restrictions led me a bit astray this year, but I think it was good for my brain. I feel ready to get back to the science & experimenting now.

I felt pretty anxious about this whole new diet thing this morning, but then I had about 1/3 of a mug of coffee (such precise estimates here) and I feel optimistic. Maybe it's just me, maybe it was the coffee. I've got a meal plan that's getting fleshed out as a guide, a grocery list that is getting frighteningly long, and a belly that's actually really looking forward to chicken soup! I want to thaw the stuff in the freezer to figure out which is the ham stock, but it'd be good to have extra on top of whatever I make this weekend.

Neckhammer reminded me to look into comprehensive stool testing. I emailed my insurance with CPT codes to see if it'll be covered if ordered through a physician. Hopefully I don't have to beg the doctor too much to get this done.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    From the experiences you've shared about your doctor's appointments, I don't think you'll have to beg too much. He seems pretty interested in letting you fix things holistically.

Good luck with your experiments. Long grocery lists suck.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

True, Jenn. I did ask about stool testing once and he said he preferred to use urine/blood (forget which). I think if I ask particularly, he'll put the order through. The test is free to pick up, just have to pay when I submit it. I hope insurance comes back with a good answer.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I love that you never give up! Always digging and willing to try a new avenue Good for you -- you'll get to the bottom of it!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

We might be moving?

Cheaper rent, includes washer & dryer, friends with the landlord, Hulky might be able to do maintenance work to reduce rent even more. Only problem is this is our last month here and while we SAID we wanted to stay on another year, no lease has been signed. The last day here would be August 31st. We need to figure this out ASAP so we can notify our land lady. Then it's up to me, my family, and my in-laws to get us moved, since Hulky will be gone. The last month's rent here and there might be an issue too, but we'll see. Should find out more tomorrow afternoon...

Gluten-free day 12

I had another episode of anxiety at bedtime last night and took a GABA Calm. I feel like I slept okay, but am still tired today. I had to drag myself up the stairs this morning and my thighs were really burning (unusual for me lately), but I feel alert otherwise. I've been having a mixture of bad and very weird dreams this week. It may be PMS. It may be not looking forward to being without Hulky for 3 weeks. I'm inquiring with my boss & local supervisor about taking tomorrow off, last minute, since we'll be driving up to Portland on Saturday to get the van for their trip to northern Maine on Sunday (phew, run-on). Hulky got volunteered to drive one of the vans since a professor got sick. Hulky is a good candidate because he is the oldest student in the class and 25, so there are less insurance issues. He's also kind of buddies with the professors.

Anyway, since at least 4 hours will be spent driving to and from Portland on Saturday, we won't have as much time to spend together. I thought about calling in sick, but calling in "sick" on a Friday makes me feel very skeevy. Maybe his professor will treat us to lunch in Portland. They should reimburse us for gas & tolls, which is good, because we can't really afford this trip. My grocery money is dwindling.

Looks like my boss just approved, now waiting for local supervisor...

My stomach was a mess yesterday. Well, my gut, not my stomach. Maybe it was delayed/continued response from the dairy & sugar the two nights prior. Maybe that's what the anxiety was too. I wonder how long it takes for me to recover enough not to have diarrhea after "ice cream episodes". I wonder how long it will take for me to have noticeable improvement in motility on the SCD.

I'm going to a local bank to see what I need to do about transferring funds & setting up new accounts after work today. I'm nervous. Not sure how all this will work. I'll need to transfer the funds only partially to start with so I can make sure I have enough to cover any pending payments and until I get a debit card for the new account. Or I will be paying with cash & money orders =\.

I made some jelly snacks from gelatin & grape juice last night! Sorry the picture is all blurry. I haven't had grape juice in years and I have to say that it smells & tastes great. I used to hate it, but now it makes me think of birthday parties when I was a kid. That's a 13x9" pyrex dish. I brought 3 squares to have with lunch today.

Time for tea.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ack, okay, my gut still hates me today. No magnesium today.