Page 475 of 797 FirstFirst ... 375425465473474475476477485525575 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,750 of 7970

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 475

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member

Gluten-free day 9

My moods are still stable so I'm not tracking how long it's been off the amino acids anymore. The ultimate test is the few days surrounding my period, but with the vitex, I think I should be fine anyway. It's just helpful to get a baseline.

My weekend was very relaxing. Friday night, we ate, packed up, and I drove us up to Portsmouth & we stopped at a Barnes & Noble for books. Hulky drove from there and we got to the beach house around 11 PM. The stars were amazing and the Milky Way was incredibly clear. We went straight to bed and slept like an adorable pair of logs. It was a little drizzly in the morning, so we didn't do any beach walking, but it felt great to be there anyway. After breakfast at the diner (eggs, sausage, bacon), a snack (banana & almond butter), we grabbed our stuff and headed into town. We picked Hulky up some things at Reny's for his trip, including a pair of water shoes. They are nice and wide, great for his extra-wide feet. I found a pair of jeans that would have gone to Old Navy if not for the scraped waist button, for $13. I picked up an iced chai at the local coffee shop & we headed to Baba's.

My dad had his bicycle and my brother's on the back of their car, so we all took turns riding around on the grass & long gravelly driveway (pictures forthcoming in a blog post, probably tonight). When my dad and Hulky went riding off on "Didushka's road", a path that used to be kept clear that leads from the pond down to the swamp behind the house, I ran back and forth to see if I could spot them, to get my camera, and then to get pictures as they came back out. I took my shoes off and it felt great to prance around barefoot in the wet grass. I felt like I had tons of energy. I didn't mind being a little breathless. I snacked on some kielbasa. We relaxed for a bit, my sister and her beau arrived, we read & chilled & chatted. Then we did the gold coin ceremony (more in the blog post), and cracked open a bottle of mead that my grandfather had corked in '95. It was a bit bitter.

My sister and her beau had to leave, but we went to dinner shortly after. I had broiled scallops, a squash medley (the "vegetable side"), and a roasted potato, including butter & sour cream. A couple of martinis (cherry, which tasted like cough medicine, and chocolate, which tasted like vodka and Hershey's syrup, which it basically was, and it was delicious) and then crème brûlée. Hulky and I fortunately did not have to drive. We had a bit more booze (something my grandfather bottled in '83, forget what it was, but it was very good) when we got back & spent the rest of the evening reading. I read this book, which my aunt had had signed by the chef, and it was really fun. Do not read it if you are in danger of consuming a mountain of pastries by reading about them. I had cravings for chocolate croissants the whole time. We slept like logs, again, this time joined by my parents' dog.

In the morning, I made eggs (local ones from free-range chickens) and heated up some Canadian bacon. We stopped for lunch in town at an Irish bar and I got Shepard's pie. It was okay, a little bland, and must have had flour in the sauce because I got a stomach ache and heartburn later. We had a terrifying dinner later of "loaded nachos", with corn chips, ground beef with custom taco seasoning, and cheese. I could've gone for some fresh Trader Joe's salsa, but didn't want to make another trip out. We also went and got some groceries, then relaxed to some Warehouse 13 & a glass of (awful) wine. My toes were a bit unhappy this morning. I'll try sulfite-free wine next time I bother with it, but this was a free bottle from ages ago.

Something I finally pieced together: I've always had excellent poops at Baba's! I think it must be something in the (well) water, or just feeling relaxed there. I can remember noticing this even as a kid, but now it's more apparent to me given my troubles with constipation. It would be nice to stay up there for longer to see how it affects my regularity.

Anywho, I'll get the link to my blog up this evening. I took some pictures and overall it was an excellent weekend.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Everyone seems to like those things... And after hearing all this bad news about tampons, I wonder if I should try it. I'm about to get a copper IUD which supposedly makes you periods heavier for a while (yippity fucking doo) so this might be a good time to switch?

Funny because it's true.
    I have had a copper IUD for 9 years. I love that I do not have to think about birth control and it is my only option because I cannot use hormonal products. Yes it does make your period significantly heavier. Sometimes so heavy that I was changing protection hourly for a day or two. Some advice...I supplement iron and during my period for the extra blood loss. Also, supplementing 1g of iodine/ day really helped normalize my flow volume. Unfortunately, I only learned about iodine on MDA about 2 years ago. Things have been fairly normal since.

I hope I haven't scared you.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I have had a copper IUD for 9 years. I love that I do not have to think about birth control and it is my only option because I cannot use hormonal products. Yes it does make your period significantly heavier. Sometimes so heavy that I was changing protection hourly for a day or two. Some advice...I supplement iron and during my period for the extra blood loss. Also, supplementing 1g of iodine/ day really helped normalize my flow volume. Unfortunately, I only learned about iodine on MDA about 2 years ago. Things have been fairly normal since.

Paula, I have heavy heavy periods without any form of birth control. I take iron daily to keep my hemoglobin up (otherwise I feel winded and tired after a run). Would iodine help me with the high flow too? And do you take it daily or only during your period?

Tasha, it sounds like you had an amazing weekend! I'm glad you had fun.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post

Thanks so much for the advice. I will keep it in mind in case I experience something similar. And trust me, there are much scarier stories out there. Yours has got nothing! I'm not really worried though tbh since I have always had light periods and my mother has had 2 copper IUDs without negative side effects.

Name, that sounded like such a fun and relaxing weekend. So glad that you enjoyed yourself. I too have noticed that my digestive issues change depending on where I am and I would bet if is consequence of both diet and mentality.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Other thoughts for today: I've got this SCD book arriving in the mail today. I intend on reading through it this week and hopefully starting a SCD protocol next week while Hulky is away. It will be interesting to see if I can save anything on groceries, or not, because I might be buying more fresh food. I hope there are dairy-alternative entries because I can't have more than about a Babybel piece of cheese without triggering my IBS (and foul, foul gasses). The intro diet on the website describes an awesome cheesecake...which I almost definitely cannot eat.

I have most of a bottle of red wine. What should I make? I was thinking of making an Italian chili, I could probably dump some into that. I'll need to go out for sauce-makings (will probably just get a jar, honestly) & ground turkey and whatever else I want in it. The recipe recommends frozen spinach, but I'm sure a bit of fresh would taste nicer and not be any more expensive.

If I can convince Hulky, I want to get us a room at a b&b in town by the grandma's for an extended weekend sometime (probably distant future). We could hike, wander, eat out, sleep in... I could spend some time browsing the local health food market (because I checked online and OMG RAW MILK!!!!). If we have the cash to spare on the weekend in general, I could probably do some clothes shopping too . Some of the boutiques there have a great selection and even great prices.

I'm thinking of not journalling for the rest of the week. We'll see.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 08-05-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Paula, I have heavy heavy periods without any form of birth control. I take iron daily to keep my hemoglobin up (otherwise I feel winded and tired after a run). Would iodine help me with the high flow too? And do you take it daily or only during your period?

Tasha, it sounds like you had an amazing weekend! I'm glad you had fun.
    I take the iodine every other day because of the type I use...see below. It is worth a try. I was a member of the crazy iodine thread for a while. I tried the super high doses and experienced side effects, so I cut down to the avg. level of 1g./day. This amt. is recommended by several paleo experts. You should start slow. One week on 250mg / day, then add 250 a week until you get to a gram. This would be additional to any iodine you get from salt. I use lugol's solution @ 2 g per drop every other day. It is easy just to put it in my coffee.

My doc had me take Amazon.com: Iosol Formula Ii 1 fl oz Liquid: Health & Personal Care which is only 1.83 mg per drop, if you want/need to take a lower dose. I'll find out next month if it's been sufficient for my deficiency.

A few other thoughts for today!

-I'm going to wait to order anymore supplements for gut stuff until after I check out Breaking the Vicious Cycle (added link in other post, forgot to put it in earlier). I'm currently interested in molybdenum, L-Glutamine, and NAC.
    -My grandmother wants to buy Hulky and me our wedding rings. I guess this means I can go talk to a jeweler soon about an estimate for a custom contour band. Baba had originally wanted to give me my grandfather's ring, but there's no way I could have it melted down or resized (too sentimental for me). I would rather wear it on a chain (I also don't like wearing yellow gold). She also told me that their antique tractor is going to be mine when she dies. It's awesome, but what am I going to do with an antique tractor with crumbling tires?! Sell it, obviously.
    March_0070 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Hey, that sounds like an awesome weekend! I'm so jealous!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Make sure you talk to experts before you sell or someone could likely screw you out of a lot of money.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)