Page 471 of 765 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521571 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 7648

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 471

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Gut issues = serotonin = cause of most of those issues, if you really think about it. However, it's not the only, as I have a pretty iron stomach and digestive system, and still have mild insomnia and anxiety. I think there are too many neurotransmitors to really narrow down a lot of symptoms, just some are pretty self-explanatory when related to the gut and where most serotonin is located.
    Yeah, I hear you. There's too much of a physiological dance going on to ever really know what's causing what. I'm pretty sure now that my depression was mostly due to high oestrogen, but my gut has been really inflamed for the last two days, UGH. Getting sick of it.

I'm quite ignorant about the serotonin-gut link tbh. I don't really understand it. Has Peat written anything on it? Actually, I have loads of questions for you! maybe I'll take it over to my journal instead of clogging up Tashas
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Inflammation is a huge thing with my gut, I'm realizing. I think serotonin gets affected as a result or as part of it all. Activated charcoal is part of a recent "gut issue" recommended supplement protocol I've been looking into, but I haven't used it since constipation was my primary symptom. Now...it might be helpful in low doses, but unsure. May be able to afford some new things next month.

I haven't taken any 5-HTP or Tyrosine for the past two days and I feel good mood-wise, but this was an unusual weekend. A GOOD weekend. I had a blast and got pretty sunburned (poor Hulky is much worse off). We are taking turns slathering each other in chilled aloe vera gel.

I slept really well this weekend with just the Theanine Serene. Vivid dreams, but not scary.

Maybe I'll do more of a recap of the weekend tomorrow, when I'm inevitably bored at work. Hulky is encouraging me to browse around for something new, which is scary, but exciting. I'd like to not be bored.

Gut: my gut is switching around between C and D lately. Travel on Friday REALLY messed me up. We were in the car for at least 5 hours. By the time we got to the lake house, I had really bad lower abdominal cramps. It took a while for anything to come of that. My BM has moved to the evening and has been loose.

No idea what we're eating tonight. I think we're ordering out. I need to get some more unscented lotion but I'm tired of driving!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Back to gluten-free, again, Day 2

Last night, I had the worst migraine I have ever had. It was behind the left side of my forehead and radiated down into my nose. Two years ago, when I had frequent migraines around the time that I went primal, I found that my allergies and level of congestion were closely linked to the severity and frequency of headaches & migraines. My allergies were bad in the morning & evening up at the lake house (pine trees, I think), but in general not bad. I was taking nettle leaf extract & Allegra. I didn't feel that congested last night, but if I'd been able to use my neti pot over the weekend, I wonder if I'd gotten the migraine.

It was so bad that I felt nauseous and was pretty close to vomiting. Hulky made me take a swig of Nyquil & a lot of Ibuprofen and I managed to fall asleep. There was no way I could go in today if it had still been there in the AM, but I feel okay now. Slight threat of a headache that I'm hoping to drown out with lots of water. I'm pretty sure I got dehydrated more than once over the weekend.

Sleep
    -I'm almost out of Theanine Serene. I guess I'll find out this week how I do without any sleep aid whatsoever. This means I need to take more mag citrate during the day to make up for what I won't be getting from the Theanine Serene.
    -I woke up to pee early this morning because I drank a lot of water last night while I was trying to drown out the migraine. A bit groggy today, but not awful.

Body
    -My knee hurt really badly Friday night before I'd had any gluten. It was mostly okay the rest of the weekend.
    -Hulky showed me how to do lunges. I had just been doing stretching lunges. They work my knees very well and that will be great for cycling.

Food
    -Over the weekend, I had a few skittles, marshmallows, a brownie, some empanizzas (empanada with pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni inside) and I did end up drinking Corona & a few margaritas (Jose Cuervo's mix). My gums were irritated most of the weekend. Otherwise, I stuck to shots & stayed pretty primal. I got to have pancakes both Saturday and Sunday morning.
    -We went to Cracker Barrel on the way to and from the lakehouse. We used to go there whenever my family would visit my mom's family out in Illinois. Their low-carb menu is pretty good for primal options, though the sides are quite sad. I think all the veggies come from cans.
    -I'm thinking of doing at least a few days of an all-egg diet to see if it helps get my gut on track. I might wait and do this while Hulky is gone.
    -I had my first plum last night. It was very watery. It was similar to an apricot. Not sure I liked it that much, but it wasn't bad.

We're going up to Maine this weekend. It's a bit more travelling than I'd like to do in such a short period of time, but I really do want to go up and Baba wants us up there before Labor Day. This is our only chance, since Hulky leaves for his class in northern ME on the 11th. I hope the weather is good because I really want to have breakfast & lunch at the diner up there and walk on the beach. Maybe I should invest in that UPF shirt now...

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Name, my mom gets migraines from gluten, so that could have been aftermath from the weekend? Anyway, I hope you feel better :]
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Maybe, but I've never had that response to gluten before. Who knows. Bodies are weird. I just don't want that to happen again.

After Hulky's awful sunburn this weekend (we did not let the sunscreen sit long enough and then were in the water quite a while; my burn is practically gone and will not peel but it was fairly bad the first day), I decided to go ahead and get us rash guards. They have UPF 50 rating, so we should be good to swim & sun in them for quite a while. Both are long-sleeved. They should arrive Wednesday, so we can wear them up at the beach this weekend! We'll only have to worry about putting sunscreen on our faces, ears, necks, legs, and feet. Of course, if we go in the water, legs & feet will need reapplication. Hats will help with some of that coverage too! Assuming he doesn't get too jacked or fat & I don't get all that muscular, we should be able to wear these for several seasons.

I am thinking about getting a personal trainer at some point though. I don't know when I could afford it, but I'd love to have someone show me how to lift weights properly. For vanity purposes, I'm practically at my muscle goal with just bodyweight exercises. For strength purposes, I want to be able to do a pull-up!

Gluten-free day 3

Body
    -It seems that natural sugars (for lack of a better expression) from fruit bother my gums just as much as refined sugar. I had a kiwi this morning and now much gums are slightly irritated (almost like an itch, makes me want to floss). WTF is with this sensitivity?! Am I just genetically screwed? My aunt has messed gums as well, I think, but everyone else in my family has pretty good oral health (aside from Baba, but she's old and has dentures and was impoverished as a child in Belarus etc.).
    -My ride in this morning was pretty good. I didn't feel too tired. I'm fairly congested so breathing was not awesome. I could only get the neti pot to flush one side, the other was too blocked. I hope it's better tomorrow since it will be drier out.

Food (yest.)
    -Peppermint tea w/ hydrolyzed collagen (not sure if this works as well as the gelatin, my toe nails are still growing faster, but not as fast as before)
    -leftover steak & fresh fries, banana
    -pork chop, oven fries, broccoli
    -a bit of dark chocolate (gave me a slight headache)

Not enough food, as usual. I'm probably never going to fix my gut without more sustenance!

Sleep
    -I took the last of the Theanine Serene last night. I don't remember my dreams. I woke a little early needing to pee because I keep drinking water late, but otherwise slept well. I had good energy this morning.

Mood
    -I got really anxious last night (see below for why). I was able to calm down with a prompt from Hulky. I watched some Bones before bed. I'm still working through the most recent season. I was worried that the sudden anxiety was a bad sign for my mental health, but I'm on day 5 of no amino acids and feeling pretty good still.
    -Being unable to deal with sudden stress is usually a bad sign, but I recovered quickly, so I wonder if it was kind of out of habit, or just from being tired.

My parents' washing machine got fixed, but now their dryer is broken. It smelled like gas last night and wasn't drying anything. We air-dried a few things at the apartment and the rest should be dry by now, since I had the dehumidifier running in their basement with the clothes hanging up. Looks like we're sneaking back over to the in-laws to use their secondary washer & drier (technically they're for the downstairs tenants, but rarely used). Gaahhh I want our own so badly!

I buzzed my head before the lake house. The roots weren't quite long enough so I have frosted pink tips. It faded a lot over the weekend and is kind of pale sherbet orange/pink where it isn't straight-up yellow/blonde.

I just did something I normally never do: I read some old pages in my journal here. My hand-written journals are entirely off-limits. I set a rule for myself many years ago that once written, it was not to be re-read. This time, it wasn't a bad idea. I'm impressed with how I've changed in the past two years. It was interesting to see where I started from on my primal journey, too. I was so tired back then, so inactive, so pessimistic, and really struggling with "how to eat" and "how to cook". My living situation wasn't great, being stuck in a room in the attic of Hulky's parents' house. I experienced a lot of bloating back then and while I didn't detail it, I think I had some BM issues too (may have alternated between -D and -C, indicating that the IBS issue goes back further than this past year). I know I remember experiencing constipation as a child pretty regularly, though I wouldn't say frequently.

It's been almost a year since the chronic constipation started, just shy of a few weeks. I'm sad that I'm continuing to struggle with this, but feel encouraged by how much progress I've made overall, recently and since I started this journey. I have energy, I have much more stable moods, I sleep better, I feel motivated to be active, I AM active, and I feel a hell of a lot better about my body. The thought of biking to work probably would have made me laugh two years ago! I feel proud.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I also think you're doing well. Glad that reading through the journal was a good experience for you.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ombat is offline Senior Member
    It's great you've realized how much you've progressed. It's easy to lose sight of how far we've come when we feel we're still struggling.

Re: kiwi and your gums, I'd venture a guess that (enough) kiwi would irritate anyone's gums. Have you tried a fruit that's a little less harsh? Mango? Peach?
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?