Page 464 of 798 FirstFirst ... 364414454462463464465466474514564 ... LastLast
Results 4,631 to 4,640 of 7971

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 464

tomi is online now Senior Member
    if you're annual includes a pelvic/pap and breast exam........... please done skip it. Bad things can happen really fast and missing a yearly exam can be the difference between preventive maintenance - and things more drastic and invasive. I speak from experience.

In 2000 I was going to skip my annual well woman exam. Something told me I should go ahead and have it done. While doing the vaginal exam the doctor says, "oh wow........ I have never seen anything grow this fast - you're last exam was totally normal!" When I asked her what it was she told me I had white spots all over my cervix. She rushed a biopsy and I had SEVERE cervical dysplasia - had I missed that yearly exam I would most likely not be sitting here cautioning you to not skip yours. She told me had I waited another year for my exam I would probably be at stage 4 cervical cancer. I had to have a cone biopsy to remove all the pre-cancerous cells. I have been fine since.

Don't mess around with that stuff. Teeth cleaning can wait........ in fact buy Rembrandt whitening tooth paste and you won't need cleanings - it takes off all the tartar. But yearly exam and mammograms are not something to poo-poo off. If you haven't had a mammogram yet - you should think about having a baseline done soon.

That's my 2 cents!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member

Gluten-free day 3

Good points, Tomi. My girly exam is separate from my annual, usually, but I'll see if I can get them done together because I don't like working with my gyn that much. She's kind of spacey and has forgotten to take care of things for me on more than one occasion (sending prescriptions & sending in lab orders).

Why do you say Rembrandt is good for removing tartar? Just curious, never heard anyone recommend it before. I'm happy to do anything to avoid the dentist though. They don't scare me or anything, it just feels like a waste of time and I know what to do to keep my gums happy (my only concern, I have no fillings or cavities).

Sleep
    -Went to bed late, woke up too early
    -Feet were itchy when I woke up (2 days in a row now), elevated them on the couch for 20 min and they felt better

Body
    -Ride home yesterday was difficult, but it's downhill, so always feels easier than the ride in. Damn wind makes my ride take longer.
    -My ride in to work this morning was better than yesterday. Still tired, but not as tired.
    -This is my first full work-week of commuting by bicycle!
    -Hulky advised me to do lunges before cycling and stretch afterwards. I did this morning. My hamstrings feel better. Interestingly, my left side was tighter than my right today, which never happens.
    -I'll be getting in an extra mile or so this evening, when I go to the local strip mall right after work to get some eggs, almond butter, and frozen cat food (first two items being for a smoothie & just general enjoyment).
    -I might end up going up to a size 8 in some pants, which is only annoying because I'll have to buy new pants. I know it's all muscle! We'll see if this changes. My thighs may shrink a little [[shrug]]. I'm certainly not getting rid of anything.

Food (yest)
    -peppermint tea w/ hydrolyzed collagen
    -huge burger patty & broc, apple, banana, apricot (pretty good!), Larabar
    -maki rolls (2 rolls, which means about 13 "tires"), Hulky's treat for good news from his doctor
    -2 Larabars (the chocolate chip flavor is being discontinued, they were cheap at the grocery store, but didn't have full boxes for me to buy)

I took 3 peppermint oil capsules yesterday. One was in the morning with no food, and it was the new capsules I got (with peppermint, carraway seed, and oregano oils). I could taste it in some burps later, but I think it helped to take 3 during the day instead of just one at each of my 2 meals. My liquid vitex should arrive today, which is good because I ran out of capsules yesterday!

Gut (this section is always going to be TMI)
    -No back-up, no catch-up, everything is moving pretty well. Usually 1 large (too large, I think) BM per day, sometimes 1 large and another (or 2) smaller after lunch.
    -My cycling shorts fit looser (more comfortably) this morning. Could be from a week of wearing them, or could be some bloat going away. No idea!

This weekend
    -watching Wreck It Ralph in Boston tonight
    -hopefully getting radiator hoses for the Mustang! finally!
    -Sleeeeeeeep
    -Seeing a matinée showing of R.I.P.D. (no popcorn this time! maybe I'll get myself some gummy bears to nibble on)
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 07-19-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Why do you say Rembrandt is good for removing tartar? Just curious, never heard anyone recommend it before. I'm happy to do anything to avoid the dentist though. They don't scare me or anything, it just feels like a waste of time and I know what to do to keep my gums happy (my only concern, I have no fillings or cavities).
    I use it. Without it my teeth get a LOT of tartar on the bottom, but using it keeps them clean and white. I've recently seen something on fb about making your own whitening paste using baking soda and something........ here it is:

HOW TO MAKE YOUR TEETH 'SNOW WHITE'

-Put a tiny bit of toothpaste into a
    small cup,
    mix in one teaspoon baking soda
    plus one
    teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide (3%), and
    half a
    teaspoon water.
    Thoroughly mix then brush your
    teeth for two minutes. Remember to
    do it once a week until you have
    reached the results you want. Once
    your teeth are good and white, limit
    yourself to using the
    whitening treatment once every
    month or two.

I'm going to try this!

Impressive that you have no cavities! I have soft enamel and tons of fillings!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Hulky has very soft enamel (so does his mom) and has a bunch of fillings, a couple crowns, and has had some root canals. I looked into making my own re-mineralizing toothpaste (there are tutorials online), but the ingredients would be really expensive. Not sure what the cost would come out to per container/tube. I've never been able to see the difference before and after a cleaning, so I don't think I'd be able to tell if tartar was coming off. Right now, I'm messing around with oil pulling, baking soda, and the OraWellness brushing blend (oils). The brushing blend makes my teeth feel really smooth & my gums feel good (hard to explain what "good gums" feel like).

If we have kids someday, I hope they get his mouth shape (mine was very narrow until I had a palette expander before braces; his teeth are very straight), his gums, but my tooth strength. Hopefully, my good diet will make a difference .

I've heard pregnant women with exceptionally healthy diets made babies with strong bones and teeth So - stay primal!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

diene is offline Senior Member
    You guys inspired me to schedule my annual. I was supposed to do it in May, but I had my IUD removed in May and didn't want to go back a second time in May. Then I forgot completely in June. I've had cervical dysplasia before so I definitely need to do it.

I don't think teeth cleaning is necessary or beneficial. I never get it. I just floss every day and have had no teeth problems in my adult life. (Had a bunch of cavities as a child--my parents never told me that I wasn't supposed to eat or drink after I brush my teeth so I used to drink soda right before bed and after brushing. When I asked my mom why she didn't educate me properly a few years ago, she said it was common sense! Anyway, they also didn't floss so didn't make me floss. I think flossing is key.)

Mammograms may make it more likely for you to get breast cancer. Not shown to be beneficial for women under 50 who don't have a family history of breast cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    You guys inspired me to schedule my annual. I was supposed to do it in May, but I had my IUD removed in May and didn't want to go back a second time in May. Then I forgot completely in June. I've had cervical dysplasia before so I definitely need to do it.

I don't think teeth cleaning is necessary or beneficial. I never get it. I just floss every day and have had no teeth problems in my adult life. (Had a bunch of cavities as a child--my parents never told me that I wasn't supposed to eat or drink after I brush my teeth so I used to drink soda right before bed and after brushing. When I asked my mom why she didn't educate me properly a few years ago, she said it was common sense! Anyway, they also didn't floss so didn't make me floss. I think flossing is key.)

Mammograms may make it more likely for you to get breast cancer. Not shown to be beneficial for women under 50 who don't have a family history of breast cancer.
    Have you been tested for the HPV virus? If you've have CD you should be tested - you can infect your partner, and if not in a monogamous relationship they can pass it along to someone else. I had it, but tested negative a few years ago. So I don't need to worry so much about getting cervical cancer now. Apparently my ex gave it to me - along with other not so nice things. Nice to know the body can fight it off - too bad other viruses can not.

I don't get my teeth cleaned anymore. Its a waste of $188! I just use stuff that I know will remove the tartar and I floss.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I never floss. Or I rarely do. Now, if I have the floss around the apartment, I'll do it a few times a week, so that's an improvement, but I ran out . I should get back on that. Note: this is likely NOT the reason why my gums receded (and I had grafts...and they've receded since then too), but I'm sure flossing would help to some extent. I think oil pulling is in some ways a reasonable "flossing" mechanism as well. My parents used to bug me all the time to floss and I just never did.

I have no history of breast cancer in my family, or any other kind of cancer that I'm aware of. Not going to get mammograms until a doctor tells me to. Then I'll consider it. Can boobs be too small to get scanned?

I have not been tested. I thought that the only way you could have cervical dysplasia is if you had HPV. If you have HPV, there is pretty much no way to avoid giving it to your partner unless you don't have sex because it is spread through physical contact, not necessarily intercourse so condoms don't necessarily prevent it from spreading. I had cervical dysplasia when I was quite young (21), and, at that point, I had never had unprotected sex with anyone. But, you know, 70% of American adults have HPV so it's almost a given that you're going to get it if you have sex with more than one person.

Hmmm, I just looked it up, and I guess they recommend HPV testing for women over 30. Apparently, the virus could go away even if you've had it before. I thought that once you've contracted it, you had it forever. They don't recommend the test to women younger than 30 because apparently most women under 30 will test positive. But by the time you're over 30, it's likely that your body has "overcome" the virus, whatever that means. I wonder if you become immune to it, if it's like chickenpox or something. Probably not, since there are multiple strains. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll ask for the test when I go in for my annual. I'm 31 so I suppose it's a good time to get tested.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nameless--I've read good things about oil pulling. I just think it's kinda a waste of coconut oil to rinse your mouth with it. Coconut oil is so expensive.