Page 458 of 779 FirstFirst ... 358408448456457458459460468508558 ... LastLast
Results 4,571 to 4,580 of 7782

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 458

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Nameless Wonders: Thanks for unusual little things
    A weird little experience in the grocery store.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Brisket, pulled pork, rice, and gummy bears. All thanks to what's left of that 5 lb gummy bear (the red on the cutting board).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    It's been a while since I was strict about no gluten, to be honest. It's time to do that again. For a while, I was just focusing on stress-free eating, but I think I'm in a good place now to crack down on this. I can do two weeks...but it's not going to start until after this weekend because of dinner with Hulky's co-worker tonight and then the engagement party. I'll work on cutting back on starches, but I really need to expand my fruit repertoire.

Last year, my gut issues were just straight up constipation. No gas, no bloating, just...not going. I tweaked with supplements for a while, with some help from a doctor, and settled on colostrum, Inositol, and Threelac. I think I overdid it with the probiotics & eating more starches and that I'm dealing with some kind of bacterial overgrowth now. Now, I still don't poop regularly/without difficult w/o intervention, and I have a lot of gas after meals. The peppermint oil capsules eliminate that about 90%, and have also cut back on the minor bloating I was experiencing (over my entire stomach area, not just lower abdomen, and it wasn't body fat b/c it would change day to day). My shit stinks, too, whereas before, it didn't really smell at all. Last year, I was pretty low carb.
    Okay, so this is what I'm getting:

- you were low carb -> became constipated
    - took all manner of pills -> didn't help.
    - Reintroduced starch -> got things moving
    - Developed a fuck it attitude and began eating gluten every now and again.
    - Now have (what sounds like) indigestion quite a lot.

Is that close?

My gut instinct (harhar ) is that you'd probably notice an improvement just giving up gluten. If you give up too many things at once it's going to be too hard to maintain, and I'd suspect that gluten is your main culprit. Just try it for two weeks and see how you feel. I honestly notice such an different if I start having gluten in my diet: chest feels tight, knee pain comes back...

If that doesn't help, try reducing starch, but I wouldn't bother doing that yet. And I definitely would not go low carb.

Also, please don't do that burpee challenge if you've got pains in your knees!!! Unless you've got perfect positioning, burpees are murder on your knee joints.

And, to finish my stint as the bearer of bad news: peppermint tea isn't good if you've got low progesterone! It's my favourite kind of herbal tea, but when I got diagnosed I had to give all mine away and start drinking raspberry!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Things got moving w/ the supplements before I added starch, but the starch did seem to help as well. I don't remember in the midst of all this when I got lazy about letting gluten into my diet.

Yeap, step 1 is gluten-free (slash getting the joint aches to cease). Step 2 is lowering starches. I'm trying not to push myself so I don't go crazy about restrictions =\. At least mag citrate seems to be working well enough to keep me from getting constipated for now. I hope the dose can be lowered once I'm farther away from having eaten gluten.

Undecided on the burpees, but good point. My right side is wonky (hip issues, seen chiro for it, but really just need to exercise with good form to help realign since it's a life-long issue) so this probably would make things worse in that regard. It's awkward enough cycling. Squats help a lot, I don't do those nearly enough. Maybe I should do a 100-day squat challenge =P.

I'm not finding a lot of info on the link between peppermint (just picked it because I love it and I figured it'd be soothing to my tummy) and progesterone. Raspberry leaf is good for progesterone, right? So maybe I'll look for some raspberry leaf tea. I don't know if I should not drink it during certain points of my cycle, however. My gyn told me I could take Vitex all month long, and in fact, should take it every day.

I am hoping that aspirin will help alleviate some of these aches and pains in the meantime. I could technically avoid gluten, but I'm not willing to this weekend and I just need to get through it!

Dudes, my company's summer outing is a baseball game! How cool is that? I've never been to a ball game before. I'm not really a sports person, but it should be fun. Whoever sits next to me is probably going to be irritated when I have no reaction to anything going on down on the field. This'll be the end of next month (obviously, we're seeing the Red Sox play).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I should do a 100-day squat challenge =P.

I'm not finding a lot of info on the link between peppermint (just picked it because I love it and I figured it'd be soothing to my tummy) and progesterone. Raspberry leaf is good for progesterone, right? So maybe I'll look for some raspberry leaf tea. I don't know if I should not drink it during certain points of my cycle, however. My gyn told me I could take Vitex all month long, and in fact, should take it every day.
    Do the squats!

You know, I'm googling peppermint tea now, and I'm finding articles from both sides of the spectrum. My sister did research on it in the past and told me it was a big no-no. Raspberry leaf is meant to be brilliant though. I've been making raspberry tea jello

Ray Peat is a big fan of aspirin...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

At the very least, aspirin is more powerful than ibuprofen. I think ibuprofen is more likely to do damage to my gut, but there's a lot of conflicting info out there.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Blessings on you both for your Wedding Day tomorrow! I hope it is a smashing success!

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Last year, my gut issues were just straight up constipation. No gas, no bloating, just...not going. I tweaked with supplements for a while, with some help from a doctor, and settled on colostrum, Inositol, and Threelac. I think I overdid it with the probiotics & eating more starches and that I'm dealing with some kind of bacterial overgrowth now. Now, I still don't poop regularly/without difficult w/o intervention, and I have a lot of gas after meals. The peppermint oil capsules eliminate that about 90%, and have also cut back on the minor bloating I was experiencing (over my entire stomach area, not just lower abdomen, and it wasn't body fat b/c it would change day to day). My shit stinks, too, whereas before, it didn't really smell at all. Last year, I was pretty low carb.

Thanks for swinging by! Peppermint is actually a digestive bitter, like ginger. It's really helping to cut down & nearly eliminate the gas I've been experiencing, as well as help reduce bloat. I'm not sure if there's anything else that would help like it has (and peppermint essential oil is a good idea, esp. for teeth cleaning, but can I consume it?). I haven't been taking it for even a month yet, so I'd like to stick with it for longer. I did find a peppermint-oregano oil capsule blend that is intriguing, especially if this is some kind of bacterial overgrowth. Oregano oil worked very well for me earlier last year when I was dealing with recurrent yeast infections.
    Thanks! :3. That's a lot of the same issues I have been having actually. Before I only had bloating when eating wheat, but now it throws a wrench in my entire digestive system. And it can be something as small as one handful of crackers or one piece of pizza for me.

I looked into the peppermint capsules and I guess it's a littler different than I thought. I just put a few drops of oil in hot water or tea and take it when my stomach gets upset. Like you said, it cuts the bloating. But it you're taking it daily I can totally see how the capsule is way more convenient.

Good luck with the gluten free diet, I have noticed a lot of improvements when I stay away from it.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thinking of you and sending happy thoughts for a wonderfully fun and exciting day tomorrow. Looking forward to some pics!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.