Page 457 of 776 FirstFirst ... 357407447455456457458459467507557 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,570 of 7759

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 457

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Ugh, bad anxiety this afternoon. What did I ddoooooooo????

Off to set up a work station for a new employee that starts Monday.

[edit] I figured out the source of the anxiety. At the quarterly meeting, some news was revealed about company growth that might mean extra responsibilities for me. I'm not afraid of doing more or learning more, I'm excited about that! I'm afraid that someone will think I'm not doing a sufficient job.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 07-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Love the invite! You look great Tash

And, you may be amused to know that I actually thought Finnegan's Wake was your fiancÚ...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

BWAHAHAHA

No offense, Finny.

He's like an uncle to me

On an unrelated note: holy BALLS my knees hurt a lot today. It's like someone is drawing a knife around in there.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    We all love FW...just not that way. His wife is one lucky lady. He's a great cook.

Getting close Tasha...So excited.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Love the poster. Hulky's one lucky bast... gentleman.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about your knees! Have you ever related your joint pain to gluten? You had a pizza a few days ago, no? I had a chronic pain in my knee that disappeared when I gave up gluten...

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That definitely happened to me last year, but I'm having different symptoms now, very indicative of bacterial problems. I would seek my doc's help, but I'd need the money for another SIBO breath test and that just ain't happening. I think starches are not my friend anymore (though they DID help for a while, I think the probiotic supplement was overkill). Perhaps I'll keep the fruit and ditch the taters :'(.
    What are your symptoms? Just thinking, maybe instead of hacking your diet, you could just try being really strict with no-gluten for two weeks? THough I'm pretty sure I feel better not eating starch
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    I agree with Scotty, add Fish Oil to your diet. And I'd repeat add Vitamin D as well. Both come in gelcaps and can be found in your local CVS or Walgreens. Fish Oil should be clearly listed as Omega-3 and get a capsule of about 1000mg. Vitamin D capsules should be 1000iu. Take them 1x - 3x daily with meals. This should start to help with your energy levels.

In terms of learning how to cook, there are a lot of books out there to show you how to cook. As basic cookbook, such as Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything or his streamlined The Basics. If you buy only one cookbook, look for this one or something similar and you can learn from it now but will refer to it forever.

I'd also recommend checking out Jamie Oliver - he's a good cookbook writer and has committed the last several years to teaching the average person how to cook for themselves. The techniques and ingredients to cooking can be easy and I think Oliver does a great job of providing the tools so that you can do it for yourself. Of course, he is not primal so you will come across plenty of recipes for grains - just ignore these. I think you'll find his videos useful as they show you exactly how to cut, chop and mix - making the whole process a lot less scary. He's pretty low key and generally looks like he just climbed out of bed so you should find his approach not so scary. (warning: cooking videos can become addictive and are not a substitute for actually cooking for yourself)

Check out Oliver's video for making a green salad and a chopped salad. I'd skip the cheese in his chopped salad and replace with leftover chicken or steak or a drained can of tuna for a pretty perfect primal meal. (fyi in England sprouts are called cress)

In the end, cooking is essentially an experiment. You try it out and see if it works and if you like it. When you get something wrong, you learn from it. The best thing to do is start cooking. Learn a couple basics that will feed you for the week. Not exactly knowing what you like, I would recommend, for starters, you learn how to cook a couple basics. For example, you might want to know how to cook a steak (start with a skirt or flank steak), how to make a salad with the leftover steak, how to make a frittatta (easier than an omlete and good to use up leftovers), shepard's pie (an easy inexpensive comfort food that can easily be reheated for four meals), roast a chicken (so darn easy and delicious), and make chicken fajitas (without the cheese or tortilla - this is a good intro to quick cooking chicken - faster than waiting in the drive aisle at taco bell and much better tasting), and ... as a bonus as you mentioned them, how to cook meatballs (about 30 minutes of chopping, mixing and cooking on Sunday and you'll have four servings that can be reheated)

How to Hardboil Eggs - the ice water bath is key to getting the shell off later

For primal/paleo specific recipes, check out the 100+ recipes on this site. There are a ton of primal/paleo food sites out there. I recommend Everyday Paleo, The Food Lovers, and Cave Girl Eats for well thought out recipes to get you started.

Hope that helps.
    I'm only quoting because this is an great post and want to make sure I can find it again. Thanks a ton. And I adore Jamie. :3

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    -My joints have been hurting a lot recently. It's not just my knees, so I know I'm not over-working my joints. I'm not taking any eleuthero root today to see if that makes a difference. So far, so good, but it's early. I'll be sad if I can't take it because it was really nice for the energy boost. The same thing happened to me with Maca root.
    As for the peppermint oil capsules, have you looked at buying peppermint essential oil or is there something else with the capsule like vitamins or different oils? Might be cheaper and more customizable that capsules, you can mix it with the baking soda for toothpaste too. Makes it taste bearable.

I gotta chip in with the gluten and joint pain too, just because I recently have been experimenting with adding wheat back into my diet just to see what happens. Ouch. That's what happened. Actually I felt really bloated immediately following too, but not for the whole day, so I guess only a minor possibility there. If you have trouble giving up bread you can sub out the gluten free kind and halve your intake of that and just see what happens. It's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Sorry to hear about your knees! Have you ever related your joint pain to gluten? You had a pizza a few days ago, no? I had a chronic pain in my knee that disappeared when I gave up gluten...

What are your symptoms? Just thinking, maybe instead of hacking your diet, you could just try being really strict with no-gluten for two weeks? THough I'm pretty sure I feel better not eating starch
    It's been a while since I was strict about no gluten, to be honest. It's time to do that again. For a while, I was just focusing on stress-free eating, but I think I'm in a good place now to crack down on this. I can do two weeks...but it's not going to start until after this weekend because of dinner with Hulky's co-worker tonight and then the engagement party. I'll work on cutting back on starches, but I really need to expand my fruit repertoire.

Last year, my gut issues were just straight up constipation. No gas, no bloating, just...not going. I tweaked with supplements for a while, with some help from a doctor, and settled on colostrum, Inositol, and Threelac. I think I overdid it with the probiotics & eating more starches and that I'm dealing with some kind of bacterial overgrowth now. Now, I still don't poop regularly/without difficult w/o intervention, and I have a lot of gas after meals. The peppermint oil capsules eliminate that about 90%, and have also cut back on the minor bloating I was experiencing (over my entire stomach area, not just lower abdomen, and it wasn't body fat b/c it would change day to day). My shit stinks, too, whereas before, it didn't really smell at all. Last year, I was pretty low carb.

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    As for the peppermint oil capsules, have you looked at buying peppermint essential oil or is there something else with the capsule like vitamins or different oils? Might be cheaper and more customizable that capsules, you can mix it with the baking soda for toothpaste too. Makes it taste bearable.

I gotta chip in with the gluten and joint pain too, just because I recently have been experimenting with adding wheat back into my diet just to see what happens. Ouch. That's what happened. Actually I felt really bloated immediately following too, but not for the whole day, so I guess only a minor possibility there. If you have trouble giving up bread you can sub out the gluten free kind and halve your intake of that and just see what happens. It's worth a shot.
    Thanks for swinging by! Peppermint is actually a digestive bitter, like ginger. It's really helping to cut down & nearly eliminate the gas I've been experiencing, as well as help reduce bloat. I'm not sure if there's anything else that would help like it has (and peppermint essential oil is a good idea, esp. for teeth cleaning, but can I consume it?). I haven't been taking it for even a month yet, so I'd like to stick with it for longer. I did find a peppermint-oregano oil capsule blend that is intriguing, especially if this is some kind of bacterial overgrowth. Oregano oil worked very well for me earlier last year when I was dealing with recurrent yeast infections.

The occasional pizza is probably the only source of gluten in my life now. I will sometimes have a bun with a burger, but that hasn't been too often lately. It is very possible this was a delayed response to the pizza or something. I don't remember eating wheat last weekend, but that's what I'm starting to track my food again. I don't think it'll be too hard to stay on track, since eating gluten-free saves me money (not eating/ordering out as much).

Scroll up for responses to YB and RR.

Thoughts/disclaimer on food tracking: I'm embarrassed by my meals and hesitate sharing them. We eat really simply because of our budget. It's easier to deal with frozen veggies than to plan to use fresh veggies during the week. We've had too many go bad before we were ready to use them. A meal plan would probably help, but I'm honestly not ready to deal with that. It's definitely something I want to expand on (food variety) before we ever have kids! I've done it before, we're just not in a place to do it now. I am going to try to switch up my lunch veg periodically.

Food (yest.)
    -peppermint tea w/ gelatin & sugar
    -pork chop/steak w/ bro, Larabar, apple, 2 brazil nuts
    -big burger patty w/ oven fries (forgot to get more veggies the other night!)
    -Klondike bar
    -Sam Adam's Porch Rocker (lemonade-y beer)

Just looking at that, I can tell I'm not eating enough...

Supplements
    -I found a site called Puritan's Pride. They have amazing deals for some supplements. For example, $11.99, buy one get TWO free, for 90 gelcaps of peppermint oil. I think I'm just going to pick some up (and liquid Vitex) at a local VitaminShoppe this weekend, but I want to place an order on this site maybe next month. They don't have 5-HTP in 50 mg capsules, unfortunately. I like to split up the dose because I get a bit anxious at the end of the day and the first dose helps me feel better until bedtime.

Body
    -The pain in my knees also occurred in my hands & elbows (the area identified as tendinitis by my doctor a few months ago). It was obvious inflammation, but I didn't have any aspirin to bring it down (hence the alcohol...for my pride, not the pain). Ibuprofen doesn't really do it for me. I wonder if the pain in my knees & hands is actually arthritis that I otherwise keep at bay with a reasonable diet.
    -I really struggled on my ride in this morning. My knee hurt, my body felt dead, but I knew I had to go so I just did it. The accomplishment felt good, at least.
    -A former classmate convinced me to try the 100 burpee challenge. Day 1 = 1 burpee, Day 2 = 2 burpees, and so on. You end you doing over 5000 by the end. You can split the burpees up into sets throughout the day, but apparently on days 25, 50, 75, and 100, you should do them all at once & time it. I'll just go as far as I can. Should be great for my cardiovascular health! I hate cardio. I started yesterday.

Sleep
    -I'm trying to embrace the shitty sleep as something less negative. I'm clearly excited about the party tomorrow (and nervous)! That is probably a big part of why I haven't been sleeping well lately, but I'm frustrated at the toll it's taking on my overall health.

I'll probably post a bit more today, since I usually do, but am going to stay off MDA all weekend.