Page 446 of 794 FirstFirst ... 346396436444445446447448456496546 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,460 of 7934

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 446

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Um, if he can't use his big boy words, then he doesn't get big boy snacks
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

canio6 Guest
    So if he says he wants chips and pretzels is that okay? I ask because you said things you can both eat. Given that you seem to have far more dietary restrictions than he does it seems like you need to get what you can eat or just buy him the snacks you know he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Um, if he can't use his big boy words, then he doesn't get big boy snacks
    the problem with this is if/when you have to listen to the big b*tch nag. "What snacks do you want?" (Oh shit, I want ice cream and chips but then I will have to hear about unhealthy this and gluten that and blah blah. F*ck it...'uh...whatever you like.') Not that Nameless would do that but I do have an exwife for a reason.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    How to cure lactose intolerance
    I think I want to try this. Up until last year, I could eat dairy just fine. If I start having a few spoonfuls of homemade yogurt with each meal... Who knows? It'll be delicious, anyway. Two quarts of yogurt would last me quite a while that way . I need to make sure I get the bifidobacterium longum strain ingested somehow. I will have to see what Threelac has and maybe switch to the recommended Jarro-Dophilus.

I don't think I really need dairy in my life, but dammit, it would be really nice to be able to eat some yogurt at least.
    I'll have to read up on that when I get home. Caitlyn gets some severe issues with lactose intolerance. Upset stomach, gas, bloating and sometimes diarrhea. She won't give it up ( I wonder where she gets that attitude from lol) .
    Georgette

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Geo, the basic idea is small amounts of yogurt & a probiotic with bifidobacterium longum in particular. You build up a tolerance and increase amounts, trying small amounts of hard cheeses next, and then cow's milk. Ice cream would be the ultimate goal for me, but if I could only handle yogurt in reasonable amounts (hard for me to limit), that would still be awesome.

Canio, I think you're right in that we can't have it both ways right now. I suggest primal stuff if he says he wants snacks, but if he'll specifically state that he wants pretzels, I'll buy them (begrudgingly, but he does not hear me gripe about it anymore). Right now, he's not being specific so I think he is interested in something more healthy, he's just not sure what he wants. I'll just hold off on snacks for now and we'll talk about it later. If he has a tendency to want to snack at certain times (ie. the weekend), I might suggest we wait on getting snack stuff and just focus on having him eat regular meals, since that's historically been an issue. If I get him chips, he'll eat 1/2 the bag in one sitting, which is not really a snack. I am not sure if he would eat Larabars, but they've been on sale lately and I'm planning on getting some anyway. I wonder which flavor might go over best with him.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 Guest
    Canio, I think you're right in that we can't have it both ways right now. I suggest primal stuff if he says he wants snacks, but if he'll specifically state that he wants pretzels, I'll buy them (begrudgingly, but he does not hear me gripe about it anymore). Right now, he's not being specific so I think he is interested in something more healthy, he's just not sure what he wants. I'll just hold off on snacks for now and we'll talk about it later. If he has a tendency to want to snack at certain times (ie. the weekend), I might suggest we wait on getting snack stuff and just focus on having him eat regular meals, since that's historically been an issue. If I get him chips, he'll eat 1/2 the bag in one sitting, which is not really a snack. I am not sure if he would eat Larabars, but they've been on sale lately and I'm planning on getting some anyway. I wonder which flavor might go over best with him.
    Well, obviously, I do not know Hulky, but is he really that indecisive? Does he really not know what he wants or does he want to eat half a bag of chips? You're not his mother so why do you care if he eats a meal or eats half a bag of chips? I understand your concern if he is saying "Sorry honey, I have no interest in eating dinner with you or what you cook. I'm off to eat some chips." but if he is snacking on weekends or eating chips for lunch while you are at work, what is the big deal? I don't recall him having weight issues. Is his health going down hill because of his food choices? Larabars are awful (at least in this man's opinion). No flavors will go over well, especially if he wants chips.

Again, maybe he does want healthy snacks and really doesn't know what he wants. Perhaps he wants 1/2 a bag of chips but knows you want him to eat something healthy. Sometimes it is easier to say "I don't know" than it is to say "Honey, I want to eat some trash and I want you to shut up about it."

(and my memory is sh*t so if you already talked about how Hulky wants to be healthy etc etc. just ignore me as my brain is half dead and undercaffienated.)

I gotta get off my high horse about this. I don't want to bitch about Hulky, I just need to learn how to communicate this stuff with him.

He doesn't have any health issues...really... Eh, I don't really want to get into his issues. Seems like a breach of privacy (hah, I've probably said plenty about him here that he wouldn't appreciate, but I'm working on that).

canio6 Guest
    I gotta get off my high horse about this. I don't want to bitch about Hulky, I just need to learn how to communicate this stuff with him.

He doesn't have any health issues...really... Eh, I don't really want to get into his issues. Seems like a breach of privacy (hah, I've probably said plenty about him here that he wouldn't appreciate, but I'm working on that).
    I understand where you are coming from (I think). You care about Hulky. You care about his health. It is easy to eat crap as a young dude with no (or relatively few) issues. It is the unfairness of life - 20 something dude eating absolute sh*t and being 'just fine' It happens. You are looking at your own health, at his - or where his might be down the road, and you want the best for him. That is a wonderful sentiment. I am just cautioning you to take it carefully. It is far too easy to go from loving partner to nagging shrew (and you may not even notice - it will be more his perception than yours or even more perception than reality). It could go from "Wow, nameless really cares about what I eat" to "OMFG shut up about what I eat already."

Edit: I am really not trying to be a d!ck. I was in the same boat with K. She is only going to do what she does. I have come to accept that. Stressing over it just pissed me off and made her unhappy. As Regina George might say "Stop trying to make Primal happen. It's not going to happen." (at least for K)
    Last edited by canio6; 06-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.

I gotcha, dude. Thanks. Stressing over it is pissing both of us off, I think, but probably making me more unhappy .

Edit: Though in this particular case, he is stressing about snacks in general for some reason I do not understand. I think he feels bad about wasting money on food that isn't a real meal, which means we just need to plan better and make sure he has meals!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey NW, that's so weird - I got a nose bleed last week too, which is really unusual for me (I've had like 3 in my life). I attributed it to MSG in food. Do you know what triggered yours?

Also, I just bought Vitex! I've been reading about progesterone creams though, and how they help wrinkles - have you ever heard of people using Vitex topically?

It is far too easy to go from loving partner to nagging shrew (and you may not even notice - it will be more his perception than yours or even more perception than reality). It could go from "Wow, nameless really cares about what I eat" to "OMFG shut up about what I eat already."
    just jumping in on this I totally agree. I think with any person in your life who you want to help - when it comes to diet you can only really sow seeds, and then do your thing. If it works for you, the example might encourage people to change. Since I got diagnosed with Estrogen dominance lots of my friends are starting to get more proactive about their own health, whereas when I talked about different health approaches in the past they were resigned to their own fate.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-24-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think it was the added irritation of congestion and gunk from getting sick, plus using the neti pot. The neti pot is usually fine, but I noticed all last week that one area was really irritated (the salt burned that spot) and that is where the bleeding occurred. In the past, it's been from dry winters. I used the neti pot all winter and I didn't get any, as far as I remember.

I haven't heard of Vitex being used topically, but a quick Google says it may help with things like acne. I wonder how that works exactly! Not many studies on it, unfortunately.