Page 437 of 777 FirstFirst ... 337387427435436437438439447487537 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 7761

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 437

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    Can we get pictures??? I love these kinds of DIY projects! That reminds me, I finished Hulky's b-day present a few weeks ago and never took pictures. His flour jar has a blue kitty and a heart painted on it, to go with the sugar jar I put a robot & heart on for Christmas. Now we just need a better (larger mouth) container for the brown sugar.

For you guys, because I found it while looking through my photobucket account. I know I took this for MDA because it's in the "for blog" folder. I have no idea WHY. I guess I wanted to reflect my grumpy feels. Is it weird that photos from this angle make me love my ears?

Loving the discussions about "weight loss & sanity" over in Nutrition. No matter how my body is and where I am with my strength progression (I want a stronger upper body and core for FUNCTIONAL reasons, not just vanity!), I do want to do an "annual" check-in photo this summer.

But damn, hunting through my photobucket account made me miss having longer pink/purple hair. Also, surprisingly, my navel piercing, but I'm not sure I'm willing to live through the healing process again when it might end in failure, again. The piercer said, when I showed him when I got my eyebrow re-done in January, that it looks healed enough to try again and that I would just need to check in with him periodically to see if the bar needs to be shorter and such.

I have some thoughts about tattoo plans, but they are idle thoughts and I am trying not to dwell on them until I can act on them. I feel woefully unadorned. Time to start bringing some jewelry with me to work?
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 06-13-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Thanks lady

So here's the short of it (probably not very short, we'll see how this comes out). The idea behind SSRI's is that they block the receptors for serotonin. This is supposed to force the body to produce more. Now, we know that SSRI's are tricky beasts and don't work well for everyone, not to mention the host of side effects. They're not a great example, but the idea is to boost serotonin levels. I think it makes sense that one thinks depression as a lack of happiness, thus it must be low serotonin as opposed to high (too little, not too much). Doesn't mean it's true, but that's how I imagine scientists would have first thought of it and started their efforts in treating depression w/ chemicals & drugs.

Following that, if I think my issue is with absorption, giving my body more serotonin and dopamine while I am unable to absorb what I produce/ingest for production, it makes sense that these amino acid supplements work for me. What doesn't make sense to me is how they could possibly work if I had high serotonin levels. Having excessive serotonin levels supposedly results in depression/anxiety, but introducing more serotonin? Wouldn't that make me overload or something, not make me feel better?

I think the idea of high serotonin being the more common cause for depression/anxiety is interesting, but I don't see how it could hold true for me (I will do some reading about it, though). One thing is for sure, I don't know how I would ever be able to test this. It would take time, possibly months, of just eating well and not taking these supplements. In the midst of that, I would very likely be struggling with my mood, and that is not something I could handle.

I first tried 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine in the fall of 2011. I was just coming off of Lexapro. I'd been on and off SSRI's quite a bit in the 7 years prior to that. Lexapro was relatively new for me, and as usual, I didn't feel like it was helping adequately. I read "The Mood Cure" and thought I'd try it out. Better sleep was the first thing I noticed. Over a few weeks, I definitely saw an improvement in mood, though I still went through the awful withdrawal period from Lexapro (plummeting depression for a few days 2-3 weeks after not taking it). I stayed on the amino acids for at least a few months, then stopped taking them at some point because I didn't feel like I noticed a difference anymore. Overall, I felt good. Spring of 2012 was rough for me and Hulky. He was depressed. I went back to therapy. I don't remember if I started taking the amino acids again at that point. At the end of the summer, I know I went back on amino acids because the constipation started and within a month, my moods were awful. I've been on them since then, have made some reductions in 5-HTP and changes with L-Tyrosine. They continue to work well for me.

When I first tried them, I think my gut was in better shape. If it wasn't for the emotional stress and whatever happened to my gut, I might not have needed to go back on them. I try not to play with what ifs. In the end, I am learning more about my body's needs now than I think I would have before, and that can only be to my benefit.

Okay, that wasn't short at all. I'm titling this entry so I can search for it and maybe refer other people to my thoughts. This was a good thought exercise, at least
    I aim to challenge No seriously, I find it all very interesting so I do enjoy questioning, but it's not in a "you're doing it wrong" manner. The reason I asked if you'd had your seretonin level checked was cos' if your level were low, you would probably benefit from the supplementation. IF it was high, they may increase your anxiety.

The reason I've looked into this is cos' I've been a long-time sufferer of depression and bulimia. I heard 5-HTP was a miracle for some people so I tried it last year, but it didn't help at all. Then I read an article on how some EDs - more so ana, are linked with high levels of serotonin. Got my serotonin checked and it's definitely not low. A friend of mine here, who is a recovering anorexic, experimented with 5_HTP and literally overnight I saw her turn into a frantic mess (through her journal). So in her case, her serotonin may have already been high, and an extra whack of it threw her off. In my case, too. But for other people, with low levels, it may be helpful. (If you ever did want to check your levels it's a really simple blood test).

You're amazing to be figuring all this out - believe me, I know how difficult and dark mental health can be. None of us really knw what's going on, and that you can see progress in your journey is a huge feat. Big props <3
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Thanks nameless. I will have to go and get some red spray paint!
    FLAMES... like Alton Brown's!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    FLAMES... like Alton Brown's!
    Oh, I could never be as cool as Alton.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    What about one flame? I do love me some Alton Brown.
    Georgette

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    One can always aspire... through a flaming stand mixer.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    If you're gonna throw a flame down the side, why not give that baby some hydraulics, a boomin' sound system, and some fuzzy dice?
    +1

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Hulky has a pair of fuzzy dice. They were given to him by his ex. He never wanted them. Early in our relationship, we played "tag" with them. He would visit me at school and hide them in my room without me seeing. I would find them, bring them back to his place when I visited, and hide them without him seeing. Sometimes, it went too long before he knew they were in his room, so I'd have to let him know to start looking (a good hiding spot is not encountered too frequently). Usually, they ended up in a backpack so he'd find them at class .

They now hang, retired, inside his closet door.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I don't even have any damned hair and I want to try that, Cori!
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hulky has a pair of fuzzy dice. They were given to him by his ex. He never wanted them. Early in our relationship, we played "tag" with them. He would visit me at school and hide them in my room without me seeing. I would find them, bring them back to his place when I visited, and hide them without him seeing. Sometimes, it went too long before he knew they were in his room, so I'd have to let him know to start looking (a good hiding spot is not encountered too frequently). Usually, they ended up in a backpack so he'd find them at class .

They now hang, retired, inside his closet door.
    What a fun game.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm kinda jealous. We never really did a anything like that. Well, unless you count me squirrelling random things into his luggage when he travels for work. Usually something goofy, like my stuffed bird or a piece of my jewelry.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome