Page 436 of 794 FirstFirst ... 336386426434435436437438446486536 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,360 of 7934

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 436

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I really need to bring my damn L-Tyrosine to work. It might've helped this afternoon. Anxiety built as the day went on and is now starting to dissipate. Weird timing.

I've been taking quizzes and stuff on e-Rewards.com for a while. I'm not eligible for a bunch, but I have finally earned enough "money" to trade in for something. I can trade in for a $100 gift certificate through Restaurant.com! The other options are all $25 gift cards to various places, but that wouldn't get much in the ways of clothes, so this sounds like the best option for me and Hulky to share. Not a great selection of eligible restaurants at a glance, unfortunately.

You have to use it all at once, so it might be a better idea to just trade in for one $50 certificate and wait a little longer to earn enough for another. I think I'll just wait to redeem anything for now.... Apparently the dinner cruise is an option through Restaurant.com and if we had more cash to spare, we could do that for a vastly reduced price . Could be a fun fancy date!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't really make sauces (very lazy cook), but using it for rice is a great idea. I have some ham broth too!

YB, to my knowledge, serum serotonin levels don't help indicate depression or anything like that. Levels of serotonin or misfiring of synapses or whatever is all theory. I have never had my serotonin levels checked and don't intend to. I have read about links between anxiety and high levels of serotonin and IMO it's complete BS (maybe it's true for some people) and does not make sense for my situation. Supplementing 5-HTP and other amino acids has helped my anxiety and depression immensely and I have been able to reduce the dose over time, so I remain optimistic that I will ultimately be able to eliminate those supplements altogether. Focusing on my gut health is the key.

I know, WebMD is not the most reliable source, but it's a good overview of how most modern doctors view serotonin and depression.
    Serotonin and Depression: 9 Questions and Answers
    "Antidepressant medications that work on serotonin levels -- SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) -- are believed to reduce symptoms of depression, but exactly how they work is not yet fully understood."

Aka. they know serotonin plays a roll, but don't know how.
    Okay, YB, I'm going to have to revisit this topic later (doing some refresher reading). I'm not as okay today as I thought so I'm feeling very defensive and easily upset. A little "manic", thanks to my PMS kind of flipping around.
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you! I understand how unsettling it can be when you are steady on one course of action and then someone says something against it. Many people get defensive about it, PMS or not If it's working for you that's great - you know yourself best. It's interesting research, but there's no substitute for how something personally makes you feel (imho )

<3
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

SSRI & amino acid manifesto

Thanks lady

So here's the short of it (probably not very short, we'll see how this comes out). The idea behind SSRI's is that they block the receptors for serotonin. This is supposed to force the body to produce more. Now, we know that SSRI's are tricky beasts and don't work well for everyone, not to mention the host of side effects. They're not a great example, but the idea is to boost serotonin levels. I think it makes sense that one thinks depression as a lack of happiness, thus it must be low serotonin as opposed to high (too little, not too much). Doesn't mean it's true, but that's how I imagine scientists would have first thought of it and started their efforts in treating depression w/ chemicals & drugs.

Following that, if I think my issue is with absorption, giving my body more serotonin and dopamine while I am unable to absorb what I produce/ingest for production, it makes sense that these amino acid supplements work for me. What doesn't make sense to me is how they could possibly work if I had high serotonin levels. Having excessive serotonin levels supposedly results in depression/anxiety, but introducing more serotonin? Wouldn't that make me overload or something, not make me feel better?

I think the idea of high serotonin being the more common cause for depression/anxiety is interesting, but I don't see how it could hold true for me (I will do some reading about it, though). One thing is for sure, I don't know how I would ever be able to test this. It would take time, possibly months, of just eating well and not taking these supplements. In the midst of that, I would very likely be struggling with my mood, and that is not something I could handle.

I first tried 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine in the fall of 2011. I was just coming off of Lexapro. I'd been on and off SSRI's quite a bit in the 7 years prior to that. Lexapro was relatively new for me, and as usual, I didn't feel like it was helping adequately. I read "The Mood Cure" and thought I'd try it out. Better sleep was the first thing I noticed. Over a few weeks, I definitely saw an improvement in mood, though I still went through the awful withdrawal period from Lexapro (plummeting depression for a few days 2-3 weeks after not taking it). I stayed on the amino acids for at least a few months, then stopped taking them at some point because I didn't feel like I noticed a difference anymore. Overall, I felt good. Spring of 2012 was rough for me and Hulky. He was depressed. I went back to therapy. I don't remember if I started taking the amino acids again at that point. At the end of the summer, I know I went back on amino acids because the constipation started and within a month, my moods were awful. I've been on them since then, have made some reductions in 5-HTP and changes with L-Tyrosine. They continue to work well for me.

When I first tried them, I think my gut was in better shape. If it wasn't for the emotional stress and whatever happened to my gut, I might not have needed to go back on them. I try not to play with what ifs. In the end, I am learning more about my body's needs now than I think I would have before, and that can only be to my benefit.

Okay, that wasn't short at all. I'm titling this entry so I can search for it and maybe refer other people to my thoughts. This was a good thought exercise, at least

Okay, daily post time.

I begged and pleaded and faux-whined at Hulky this morning and he gave me a ride to work. Chances are it won't rain, but I just woke up and DID NOT want to cycle. Chance of rain is lower tomorrow and I am going to have to tough it out.

I'm having a hard time not being hard on myself today. I feel guilty. I know some of these feelings are a direct result of eating gnocchi last night. I know it was not kind on my system. I know PMS is still getting the best of me. Hulky is getting the rest of the gnocchi, so I should feel better tomorrow.

There's no use spending anymore time explaining why I feel guilty. There are a lot of reasons and it's done. I just have to let it happen and move on.

Not much scheduled to do at work today, I am likely to be bored (which is far too common).

One month till the party!

Oh yes, and the Kitchenaid mixer arrived. It's sooo purrrrrtty. Hulky was psyched. I'm going to call Baba tonight and thank her (should probably call my aunt too, though we did exchange emails). I guess I might as well send Thank You notes too. Getting mail is always nice!

Expected deliveries
    -Radiator for Mustang today
    -Threelac and "dog" shampoo oil tomorrow
    -New battery for Hulky's phone in 3-5 business days (HTC Thunderbolts have battery issues, they tend to go bad and make the phone reboot randomly/frequently, got a battery for $9)

I am nearly out of L-tyrosine =\ Better check the 5-HTP to see if I need more of that soon too.

I have been taking 400mg of Stinging Nettle Leaf extract (in a capsule) for over a month now, I'm pretty sure. I have no idea if it's helping with allergies. I still sneeze at home and at work. Seems like my allergies are better outdoors though.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I am jealous of the Kitchen Aid - I love the candy-colored, lacquered domesticity of it!

It's supposed to pour buckets here in NH starting at 4-ish, you might have a reason to have whined for a ride to work

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I am jealous of the Kitchen Aid - I love the candy-colored, lacquered domesticity of it!

It's supposed to pour buckets here in NH starting at 4-ish, you might have a reason to have whined for a ride to work
    Haha, yes. It's just one of those things. Canio raised a good point in his journal - the meat grinder attachment would be pretty badass. It would simplify things if I wanted to make my own raw cat food, that's for sure! I think there are also attachments that are good for making applesauce (separates the skin and pits or something like that). Hulky insisted on Empire Red, which seems very classic to me, though I would have preferred the Cobalt Blue version.

The forecast has been SO off lately. Maybe I just never paid attention to it much before, but it seems like it never rains when they think it will. I also make the mistake of thinking that it WILL rain if the estimate is over 50%, but that's not how these things work. I got caught in a fairly light downpour for the last 1/8 of a mile on my way home yesterday and it SUCKED. Blinking a lot makes me a bit unsteady and I couldn't help myself from blinking on account of the rain hitting my face. Contact lenses + goggles would be great haha.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Haha, yes. It's just one of those things. Canio raised a good point in his journal - the meat grinder attachment would be pretty badass. It would simplify things if I wanted to make my own raw cat food, that's for sure! I think there are also attachments that are good for making applesauce (separates the skin and pits or something like that). Hulky insisted on red, which seems very classic to me, though I would have preferred the super blue version.

The forecast has been SO off lately. Maybe I just never paid attention to it much before, but it seems like it never rains when they think it will. I also make the mistake of thinking that it WILL rain if the estimate is over 50%, but that's not how these things work. I got caught in a fairly light downpour for the last 1/8 of a mile on my way home yesterday and it SUCKED. Blinking a lot makes me a bit unsteady and I couldn't help myself from blinking on account of the rain hitting my face. Contact lenses + goggles would be great haha.
    Yes, WHT is going on with the forecast? I may be paying closer attention cause of the kids' baseball games, but it has been pretty off. And they wait til the last minute to make game decisions, so I'm updating the hourly forecasts all the time.

A meat grinder attachment would be awesome! I think the colder the meat/fat, the better it works. Will your cat eat a raw meat diet? My cat turns his nose up at it. He used to like his dried food better than anything else, but I started giving him these dried salmon treats and he now thinks that's all a kitty needs to eat. Ha, he's probably right.

canio6 Guest
    Hulky insisted on Empire Red, which seems very classic to me, though I would have preferred the Cobalt Blue version.
    Hulky is a smart man. I want the Empire Red one so badly. That said, I have a white/beat up colored one as I got it for free when the college upgraded their mixers. As such, I can't complain but damn the red one is sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    A meat grinder attachment would be awesome! I think the colder the meat/fat, the better it works.
    That has been my experience. You even want to chill the grinder and such before hand - works best with a metal grinder obviously as it chills better than plastic.

The red has such a nice candy apple color, so I can't complain. Plus, he's the baker.

But if you're desperate, I found this post yesterday: How to Paint a Kitchen Aid Mixer | Little Bits of...
    Definitely something I would do if I interhited a device that was the "wrong" color. If things don't pan out with Hulky, I'm keeping the mixer (I figure I get more stock in it since it was engagement/birthday present) and will paint it COBALT BLUE AKA. THE BEST COLOR IN THE UNIVERSE. If it didn't fade to green, that would be my hair color for the engagement party. Maybe that's a little dark for summer, though.

As to my cat eating raw: I did feed her raw for at least a month earlier this year. Had to stop because shit kept going wrong and she was puking pretty frequently after eating. Whole Foods sells frozen packs of semi-ground chicken necks and backs. Right now, I'm mixing about 1.25 oz of that with 1/2 can (5.5 oz can) of grain-free wet cat food for each meal (going well so far, but it's only been a few days). Late last year, I got her interested in raw food by drizzling meat juice (from the packages or defrosted meat that I'd previously separated into freezer bags) over her kibble. Then I put in small pieces of trimmings with evening meals while I was prepping dinner. I started putting in larger pieces and more pieces, until she was eating sliced up chicken thighs. Then I switched to the Whole Foods "pet food" (that's actually what it was labelled for a little while, not sure if it still is) and gave her 1 meal a week of chicken liver. Ideally, the liver would be distributed in each meal, but that's too much hassle for me. Ideally, she'd be gnawing at larger pieces on her own, but I have not yet had success getting her to tackle them. She will happily gnaw on raw chicken thigh bones, however. That's the next thing I'm going to introduce. Not sure if I'm going to go entirely raw or stick with the can food mix. I figure this way, she's definitely not missing any nutrients.

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks nameless. I will have to go and get some red spray paint!