Page 435 of 678 FirstFirst ... 335385425433434435436437445485535 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,350 of 6779

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 435

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    No such thing as TMI in this journal, honestly. I just add warn labels for the more sensitive men-folk . I haven't tried gelatin, but that seems like a good idea. Brand recommendations? I think there's a grass-fed based gelatin available on Amazon, perhaps I'll squeeze that into next month's budget.

My nails are in great shape right now (were peeling a few weeks ago), but my skin is still a bit dry, especially my legs. Exfoliating doesn't seem to help for long. Colostrum has helped everything else (including digestion) quite a bit. If it makes my fine hair any thicker or glossier and my joints less inclined to random tweaks of pain and inflammation, I'm all for it.

Ooo guys! I have the best surprise waiting for me! Today or tomorrow, a bright red Kitchenaid mixer should be arriving at my apartment . Hulky doesn't know about it. It's a birthday/engagement present from my aunt and grandmother. We are going to have to clear a home for it somewhere in the apartment. I'll probably write a blog post about it, complete with cheesy photos if Hulky will comply.

Bleegghhh want to get my hair trimmed so I can bleach and dye it noowwwww, but I gotta wait until closer to July. I'll get it trimmed the last weekend in June or first week of July and bleach it sometime after that. Still have to decide on a color.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Before anyone suggests it, yes, good bone broth would have gelatin in it, I'm sure, but I'm not that into it right now. I have a few jars in the freezer, but the thought of drinking it right now makes me feel a bit nauseated. I can easily imagine doing that in the winter, and I have/did, but not now that it's warm out. I'm all about teh fruitz.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I use the Great Lakes grass-fed stuff from Amazon, but yeah - it's expensive. On Derp's thread, they were talking about Knox being a cheap alternative, though now grass-fed. I drink bone broth but mine doesn't gel so I don't know what gelatin is in there.

You could make fruity gelatin dishes!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    If I don't feel like eating bone broth, I'll use it to cook with! It's a great base for sauces, or you can even use it instead of water to cook rice in!

NW, I've been meaning to ask you: I read that you take 5-HTP... Is there a specific reason you're trying to raise your seretonin levels? (ie. Have you had them checked and know that they have bottomed out?) Have you read about the link between anxiety and high levels of seretonin? In Europe it's not recommended that your levels are above 300 or something.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    If I don't feel like eating bone broth, I'll use it to cook with! It's a great base for sauces, or you can even use it instead of water to cook rice with!
    I do the same. It makes a great soup or chili base as well as being a cooking medium for rice, potatoes, or veggies.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I don't really make sauces (very lazy cook), but using it for rice is a great idea. I have some ham broth too!

YB, to my knowledge, serum serotonin levels don't help indicate depression or anything like that. Levels of serotonin or misfiring of synapses or whatever is all theory. I have never had my serotonin levels checked and don't intend to. I have read about links between anxiety and high levels of serotonin and IMO it's complete BS (maybe it's true for some people) and does not make sense for my situation. Supplementing 5-HTP and other amino acids has helped my anxiety and depression immensely and I have been able to reduce the dose over time, so I remain optimistic that I will ultimately be able to eliminate those supplements altogether. Focusing on my gut health is the key.

I know, WebMD is not the most reliable source, but it's a good overview of how most modern doctors view serotonin and depression.
    Serotonin and Depression: 9 Questions and Answers
    "Antidepressant medications that work on serotonin levels -- SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) -- are believed to reduce symptoms of depression, but exactly how they work is not yet fully understood."

Aka. they know serotonin plays a roll, but don't know how.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I do the same. It makes a great soup or chili base as well as being a cooking medium for rice, potatoes, or veggies.
    And one of the reasons why my freezer is plagued by the curse of "save all the bones!"
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I should clarify my response on high sertonin: they can measure serum levels, but that does not indicate how much your body is taking in. That, I believe, is my problem, so I am giving my body extra with supplements and it helps.

Okay, YB, I'm going to have to revisit this topic later (doing some refresher reading). I'm not as okay today as I thought so I'm feeling very defensive and easily upset. A little "manic", thanks to my PMS kind of flipping around.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Big soothing ~HUGS~ all over.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.