Page 426 of 761 FirstFirst ... 326376416424425426427428436476526 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,260 of 7604

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 426

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Do you think Hulky could be convinced to do a whole30 as a way to make sure he gets well and stays well recovering from the bronchitis? If he can do that (I'm sure you could find some scientific-y explanation on why that's a good diet for recuperating) and he feels healthy, maybe he'll stay with it? I'd want to grab at anything that kept me from being so sick my job is jeopardized. Though, obviously getting bronchitis isn't necessarily something he could have warded off with diet. You could loop the Whole30 thing in as a "we're both getting healthy to enjoy wedding" kind of thing, too.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    He's a bio major and I am not well versed in science-y stuff, so I would have a hard time explaining to him how a Whole30 (or a Primal30, in this case) would be really beneficial. I mean, I think he knows that pasta is generally not healthy. I hear it more and more in everyday conversations. People know that it makes you fat, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how to approach him with it. He very much doesn't like being told what to do and writes things off if I don't approach it properly. He has told me that he is making an effort not to write off my suggestions. Actually, I think what he said is that if he DOES write my suggestions off without discussing it, he has to do it . I forget what suggestion I made that prompted this one.

I think I'll start just by asking him what he wants to do exactly in those 30 days. Just cut out "junk"? What is "junk"? Will he drink at all (I don't drink often, so I'm fine foregoing)? Will he bake at all (homemade baked goods are his vice)? Will we avoid ordering/eating out completely? That would be pretty strict for both of us. I think I'd like to keep the weekend (gluten-free) pancakes we've been having, as that's a nice little treat to look forward to for me. I don't know if it would be enough for him.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I would definitely get his definition of "junk" and proceed from there. I think you have a good plan. Keep us posted. I hope he agrees to more "primal" food choices.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Yes, get his definition of 'junk' - that's a great place to start. Good luck!

Okay, friends, time for some wedding nonsense for your amusement.

The reading I picked for my godfather to open the ceremony with. I can't find when de Maupassant said it, or what he wrote it in.

To love very much is to love inadequately: We love That is all. Love cannot be modified without being nullified. Love is a short word but it contains everything. Love means the body, the soul, the life, the entire being. We feel love as we feel the warmth of our blood, we breathe love as we breathe the air, we hold it in ourselves as we hold our thoughts. Nothing more exists for us. Love is not a word. It is a wordless state indicated by four letters.
    -Guy de Maupassant

Only other thing worth mentioning right now is that I'm on the hunt for a bathing suit. I'm pretty sure none of the bottoms in my drawer will fit me right now. I took in the black bottoms I have last year, which is unfortunate because they probably would have fit me perfectly now, unaltered. I will probably just visit Target and Old Navy and try to piece something together.

I kind of like the retro look of the high-waist bottoms, like the ones that modcloth.com carries (but they are waaaayy too expensive). American Apparel has some for cheaper, and they have a storefront in Havard Square, so I could possibly try some on. It's funny, I don't like retro styles (1940's or 1950's specifically) very much on me, but this is definitely an exception. My sister LOVES dress styles from that era, but I don't like how they are structured.

Ultimately, I hope I can find something, otherwise I'll just wear one of the one-piece suits I have, which I don't like nearly as much. We shall see! No shopping until later in the month, gotta make sure I can pay mah bills.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Lots happening in your world right now! I agree with the others about hulky and whole30 --- try to convince him that it will help boost his immune system and give you peace of mind that he won't get sick again before the big day. Its also just a good way to take off that mid-section bloat for nice swim wear bods!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

The phrase "boosts immune system" makes him laugh. In short, it does not sound like it is based on any science. I will find a way to word it. "Eating this way will reduce chances of exposure to anything you might not tolerate, which will insure that your body has all the energy and nutrients it needs to keep you as healthy as possible, " might work better. Since he can't really prevent stress at work (stress mostly from hating his job and being bored at it), taking care of his body with food is going to be the next best way for him to feel good.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Those are good words!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Or maybe just read the book to him (unless he'd be willing to read - and judging by the mental picture I have of Hulky, he's much like Brad and won't humor you long enough to read a book about it)... someone else already worded it perfectly, you just have to relay it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

We went out for ice cream last night at a local place. It was a fun little date. I made some observations on account of this trip, however.
    -I felt like I slept well, but woke up exhausted. Since I don't eat before leaving work now, I have more time in the AM, so I snoozed for another 30 min.
    -I had PLENTY of energy on my ride in this morning. I pushed myself a bit on different stretches and hills along the route. Didn't get in any faster, but that's okay. I am able to keep the gears higher and wait longer before down-shifting when I get to inclines.
    -My thoughts were all over the place on the ride. Poor focus until I burned off the energy over halfway through the ride.

So dessert has a definite scientific basis. I guess I refueled my liver for the morning ride, but the fatigue upon waking was probably from the non-ideal carb source. The racing thoughts were probably from the sugar excess. I had PB & fudge ice cream with hot fudge on top. Might've been okay without the hot fudge, or if I'd just had vanilla ice cream, or maybe just a smaller amount. The ice cream is made locally, but I don't know what's in it. Anyway, I'm not going to implement dessert as part of my diet "for science", but I certainly won't feel guilty for having something carb-heavy before bed.

I'm going to have to start wearing skirts to work. My jeans are getting too tight. I wonder if they'll slim down at all when we do our Wedding30 (because it's not Whole- and it's not entirely Primal- ). We talked a little about that last night. Hulky said no drinking (but we'll make an exception for a friend's birthday outing the weekend prior to the party), no movie snacks (we usually get the combo, which is large popcorn & soda with free refills), but then got silly when I asked about his baking. I dropped it for the time being. No matter what he/we does/do, I want to make sure that he does not feel too restricted. Maybe that will mean that he can get movie snacks, but only a small popcorn & soda. I find my usual primal thing pretty comfortable, but he is used to being able to fall back on ordering a sub for lunch or grab a pizza on a lazy night. It would probably save us a bit of money to do this together too, so I'll definitely bring up that aspect. Maybe we can make smoothies on the weekend or something as "healthy" treats.

To order this month
    -Threelac (going to run out within the next 2 weeks)
    -Wedding notices
    -Incredible Hulk t-shirt for Hulky

I have wedding surprise for you guuyyysssss. Picture later today or tomorrow.

Today, I need to call two hospitals to see about getting on a payment plan =\