Page 412 of 783 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422462512 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 7822

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 412

Primal Fuel
    WRT eating seasonally, I am always excited this time of year, as the veggie CSA deliveries start rolling out, my herb garden is filled in, the local orchard and farmers' markets start humming again, and I get an email from my one farm source saying they have too many eggs so they need to have a sale. So from spring-fall I feel like I do eat in connection with local and seasonal, and in winter it's just get what you can even if it's from Chile or whatever.

I often wonder how things would change if I went from 60-75% local/seasonal to, say, 95%? Asparagus would be eaten only right about now, except perhaps a few bags frozen or canned. Winter would not feature salads, it would be root vegetables and fermented kraut. No bananas, there are no flippin' bananas in Pennsylvania! Now of course, this would be somewhat restrictive, but it would be interesting to correlate foods available to the changes in weather and changes in activity: in the winter, we tend to crave comfort foods more, so maybe it makes sense to ditch the salads and roast up a tray of parsnips. And I wonder if there aren't deeper repercussions: might our gut flora have a sort of seasonality to them as well? Do the bacteria work with our cravings for comfort food in cold months to pad us out a bit and help us sleep? Does the lighter spring fare (greens, asparagus, some berries) kick-start our metabolism and flush out some of the loagy gut bacteria?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... FL has a lot of seasonal loopholes. Double seasons, odd seasons, etc.

Melons are ripe right now!
    As is sweet corn... and pretty much every other summer veggie.
    Green beans grow somewhere in FL sort of all through winter to early summer.
    Can I include GA as local.
    Is that "close enough".
    I do practice the southeast seasons.
    And unfortunately apple season isn't a southern thing. But I don't eat a lot of them, and it's only a few months in the fall for honey crisps for me when they are FRESH.
    And neither is sweet black cherry season, and I usually glut myself for a few weeks then as well.

I make exceptions for plantains... some things one MUST make exceptions for.
    I eat them year round and without fail they are imported.
    Oh well... imperfection is beauty or some-such.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Well, there would have to be some exceptions: fish, coffee, tea, olive oil, avocados... We eat a lot of fish, drink coffee daily, use olive oil daily, and I do love me some avocado.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Well, there would have to be some exceptions: fish, coffee, tea, olive oil, avocados... We eat a lot of fish, drink coffee daily, use olive oil daily, and I do love me some avocado.
    Heh... I forgot coffee. Always coffee.
    But I do at least support a family owned local roaster for that. Local being 70 miles away, but they are the closest that I know of making great cuban espresso beans.

I try to do "better" on the majority of things.
    Local fish, meaning caught on the coast... sometimes that means I catch it.
    Florida produce will always get my dollar first if that's an option too.
    I do berry (strawberry/blueberry) season from FL and GA, but past that I tend to skip it because I've already been eating them for a couple/few months and I'm ready to move on. Blackberries will come at the u-pick farm in maybe June. That's the only way I do blackberries.
    I buy California EVOO. It's supports an American organic farmer, and is not an imported and unknown if adulterated with soy oil product.
    I think doing "better" is part of that "Zen" Primal, and Mark's "don't let perfect get in the way of good" thing.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    In West Texas, in order to eat seasonally, locally, and in respect to our climate, what I'd be eating wouldn't be much. Cacti, peppers, tomatoes, corn, and maybe okra, throughout the year, with a heavy dose of cow and egg. If I leave the climate out of the equation, I still wouldn't see greens except for a brief 2 week window and I might get a slightly larger veggie selection, but not by much. The sun kills a lot of stuff.
    I expand local to include all of Texas, because you can get almost anything produced instate to here within 24 hours on truck. That may be cheating, but dammit, I like variety.
    In reality, I eat in season, mostly, but maybe not locally.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Ride home was difficult, it was breezy out. Thunderstorms in the forecast so I probably can't ride tomorrow.

Got home, bad case of the mopes set in. Just want to eat ice cream and cry. Hulky is trying to be sweet, but I think he's tired of me today.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Ride home was difficult, it was breezy out. Thunderstorms in the forecast so I probably can't ride tomorrow.

Got home, bad case of the mopes set in. Just want to eat ice cream and cry. Hulky is trying to be sweet, but I think he's tired of me today.
    I had an ice cream craving one day & made some with frozen bananas, coco milk & almond butter in a blender. It was really good. Sorry you're having a bad day.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My day was great until I got home! I wonder if I'm stressed about something so the bike ride does more than wear me out physically. Your ice cream solution sounds awesome. I need to freeze some of the ripe bananas we have (which is a lot)! I've done the frozen banana ice cream thing once before and it was so good. I had some regular ice cream last night and my gassy response was delayed till this morning, oddly enough.

I felt really tired this morning. I can't remember how much 5-HTP I took last night. I took L-Tyrosine with my allergy meds and perked up a bit. I think I'll bring some to work so I can take another dose mid-day or early afternoon.

I need to remember to take my B-complex tonight.

Tomorrow after work, Hulky and I will go pick up our marriage license

Oh, he drove me in today. Threat of thunderstorms for the rest of the week .
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 Guest
    Hopefully it is a good day for you, crappy weather aside. Yay on the marriage license!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I had some regular ice cream last night and my gassy response was delayed till this morning, oddly enough.
    You give Hulky the Dutch Oven?