Page 410 of 798 FirstFirst ... 310360400408409410411412420460510 ... LastLast
Results 4,091 to 4,100 of 7977

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 410

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi NW! Just checking in. I hope you find the source of your anxiety and that the Brazil Nuts help with the fungal infection.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Did your mom question the signing of your notice of intent since it's supposed to be done within 60 days of the marriage or didn't she think about it? Or does she know what you have planned for the party?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Did your mom question the signing of your notice of intent since it's supposed to be done within 60 days of the marriage or didn't she think about it? Or does she know what you have planned for the party?
    She doesn't know about the signing or what we're doing at the engagement party.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    wondering what the anxiety can be attached to? Remember that gluten free doesn't = grain free. You might try not having any grains at all for a bit - maybe a couple weeks and see if the anxiety is related to eating grains. Or, is there sugar in the mix or in the toppings for the pancakes? Chocolate chips, if the normal ones, have sugar. Sugar is known to cause anxiety in some people.

I really think you can find the source of your anxiety in your diet. Don't mean to be pushy - just throwing it out there.
    While I think that diet can definitely have an effect on anxiety/depression, I think that sometimes it's also related to external cues in our environment ie certain social situations, events, etc. I know for me that certain types of parties will trigger anxiety. Certain life events will send me spiraling down into the black hole of depression. My thing is how to not necessarily avoid these things that cue the anxiety/depression but how to control your emotions when they do, in fact, happen as a part of life. I think that this could definitely compound with a poor diet, but if the diet has been changed & it's still there then it might not entirely be related to diet alone.
    Aren't we all just works in progress?

Using primal as a tool to heal depression/anxiety & promote overall well-being:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84615.html

A new focus

I guess I'm breaking up with Primal.

I don't know where I am headed at this point, but a strict diet (even keeping any percentage in mind, like 80/20) only causes me stress. A strict low-carb diet is what likely lead to the constipation I experienced for 8+ months. Stressing my body stressed my mind and led to more instances of anxiety and depression. I need to just know WHAT I can eat and EAT IT. My body doesn't seem to mind how much, right now, though I think I may be eating too much protein. The only things I am very certain of at this point are that I know saturated fats are best, I am gluten intolerant, and refined sugars do not sit well with me.

In the past couple of months, I have found that high doses of probiotics (Threelac) and increasing my consumption of wheat-free starches (sticking to tubers, mostly, but also white rice) has helped with the constipation. The starches really go against most tenants of primal, which advocates for an overall reduction. If it works and I am healthier than I have been for a while, how can it be bad? At least, for me? I am also eating more fruit and it makes me feel really good. I don't know if I'm a "fat burner" and that's okay. I haven't figured out the answer to the anxiety and depression yet, but 5-HTP still helps, even if lowering the dose seems to take a long time. I'm starting to incorporate L-Tyrosine into my morning supplements again, as I was reminded recently that it should be taken with 5-HTP to balance dopamine and serotonin. I have some more reading to do.
    Safe Use of 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine

I'm very frustrated by a number of aspects of the "primal community" presence online. Personally, I feel that it's very important to frame facts with disclaimers. These are my opinions, this is my n=1. To state something as some kind of "primal fact" really pisses me off. I have learned over the past nearly 2 years here than there is no one right answer, for any single person or community. In the end, Mark Sisson is not advocating a "Diet" necessarily, but a lot of his followers treat it like one, while still calling it a lifestyle change. I love the primal concept, of living closer to nature and listening to one's body for cues (to me, it is NOT "living like a caveman"), but it's completely lost on a huge number of people here. I also get really pissed off at how exclusive people act about being primal. There have been posters here who are NOT primal and no matter how polite they are (some have not been), they are completely shot down. Their opinions are their own, there is no way they can be INVALID.

The truth is: most people here DO believe primal is low carb, even if they say it is not. "Low" carb is relative, sure, but it is my opinion that a lot of people go too low carb for their needs and end up suffering for it. In my mind, "toughing it out" through carb flu is not always the answer. If a user comes in and complains of problems beyond minor fatigue and headaches, why on earth would you tell them to suck it up when they could just eat a little fruit to ease the transition away from refined foods? That's negligent and I am glad these people aren't medical professionals.

While I figure out my optimal diet and routine, I won't stop posting. I still need a space to sift through my head & figure out correlations. I don't want to do it on my blog and I don't want to keep it all to myself in a written journal. I hope anyone who comes here will still find some content of interest.

canio6 Guest
    Eh, personally, I think you are embracing primal more than breaking up with it. You look to be eating real food, trying to be free of stress (as much as possible), and working on what makes you well. Sounds primal to me. As for the BS that is MDA/Primal/Paleo/WTFever, well, people are people and people are generally morons. Try not to let them discourage you.

As for the low carb thing, I look at primal as 'lower' carb. Not lower as in "It must be below Xg or carbs" but as in "some potatoes/root veg, etc" not 2 bags of chips, a box of cookies, half a loaf of bread, and some pie...aka...the sh*t I used to eat.

Either way, keep rocking what works for you and don't be a stranger (at least no stranger than the rest of us )

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    As for the low carb thing, I look at primal as 'lower' carb. Not lower as in "It must be below Xg or carbs" but as in "some potatoes/root veg, etc" not 2 bags of chips, a box of cookies, half a loaf of bread, and some pie...aka...the sh*t I used to eat.

Either way, keep rocking what works for you and don't be a stranger (at least no stranger than the rest of us )
    That's generally how I see it as well, it's just obnoxious when people keeping retaliating with, "It's NOT low CARB." Do you really hear the words coming out of your internet-mouth? Clearly not. Yes, people are morons and I need to breathe that off a bit more. I'm not lurking around the other subforums that much anymore and trying to get off MDA more in general. I should, you know, work at work.

I guess I am tired of trying to label stuff. I don't ascribe to the number system, I don't fit into these names, I am just trying to do right by me.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    That's generally how I see it as well, it's just obnoxious when people keeping retaliating with, "It's NOT low CARB." Do you really hear the words coming out of your internet-mouth? Clearly not. Yes, people are morons and I need to breathe that off a bit more. I'm not lurking around the other subforums that much anymore and trying to get off MDA more in general. I should, you know, work at work.

I guess I am tired of trying to label stuff. I don't ascribe to the number system, I don't fit into these names, I am just trying to do right by me.
    I agree completely. I didn't drop off MDA for a month (or three) because I was tired of you, Pebbles, Geo, Naiad, Jenn, doc...good lord, a lot of you all are cool as hell...and everyone else (I do not want to list 100 names but you cool folks know who you are)..but because of the idiots that congregate on the other forums.

Stick to what works for you, to hell with everyone else, and just hang out here with us cool kids

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    After I ran screaming from VLC, I realized that carb counts are not the answer. Eating what my body seems to know it needs is. I've reached the point of "that bread smells good, oh, hey, is that a STEAK!?" Some days I'm eating every starch and fruit in the house, others are meatastic. Some days all I want is seafood, others have me craving peaches like a pregnant woman. The way I figure it, if I want it, and it's not a grain or sugar, there's a reason. Percentages and numbers can be awesome, but when I apply them to food, things just go haywire. So, I don't. The way I figure, eating what my body wants and my native calorie schedule (one day of "eat all the things," one day of "something small," one day of eating like a "Normal" person, repeat) takes care of everything.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm glad that you are letting go a bit. Following your own plan that is best for your body and mind is very Primal. But, please don't disappear.

I wish I were in a position to say that eating anything is okay for me and that I could choose to eat whatever once in a while. I think Paleolithic eating is the only thing standing between me and physical ruin, but I am twice your age and metabolically damaged. Even though I binge, at least I am healthy part of the time instead of none of the time.

I am actually leaning more towards Paleo just to avoid the Grey areas of Primal. Paleo / Primal do end up being lower carb for me because when I am not following the plan, I am eating ridiculous amounts of carb (@ 500g). On Plan I max at about 150 if I try really hard.

We all get into these moments where we've had enough of the noise and confusion of MDA. When it happens to me, I remember all the wonderful friends that I would miss.