Page 408 of 683 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418458508 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 6822

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 408

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    The Fattest People in Paleo | Paleo Parents
    ...We place way too much emphasis on body fat when the end goal is about fitness and health. Fat people can run, fat people can be beautiful, fat people can be happy. It's all perspective.
    I like this post... a LOT.
    Cause, yeah. I'm still kinda fat. But I'm so much more AMAZINGLY healthier than I was!
    And I keep on truckin' and doing my thing, and adding more little things that I can do to the list to make me stronger and healthier all the time... slowly. But then, those are my limits. And that's OK.
    Been doing accommodated Yoga for aged/infirm people for a while... now starting 666 Fitness at my own pace with my own accommodations.

Yeap, that's what I try to do, but my feet lift off the ground (I cannot keep them there unless someone were to hold them down) before I get close to parallel. I'll just have to work on them in intervals until I can get lower.
    If you have trouble with your heels raising during squats practice squatting stretches for a little while each day to smooth things out. It's good!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    It's not my heels, my feet roll outward? Especially my right. If I face a wall and try to squat, I fall backwards. I can't keep my weight over my feet with my hips going back. Hard to explain, but I'll just keep trying. I imagine it'll work itself out eventually. If I don't face a wall when trying to squat, I know that I lean too far over my toes. I will definitely do more stretching though. My hamstrings are not REALLY tight, but they're tight enough and pull in strange ways.

I am feeling super anxious and want to leave early. It's very cloudy out and Hulky said it was raining at his work when he left (a little while ago). He said it's nice because it's warm, but I don't want to bike in any kind of rain. I'm afraid it's going to get darker out and I don't have any lights for my bike yet (I have one but I forgot it in the car). It's frustrating because it's not COMPLETELY irrational, but my only option is to suck it up because I know Hulky won't come and get me.

I don't like that I can still get so anxious about things. I feel like crying and feel more upset BECAUSE I'm upset.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ezeflier is offline Junior Member
    It's not my heels, my feet roll outward? Especially my right. If I face a wall and try to squat, I fall backwards. I can't keep my weight over my feet with my hips going back. Hard to explain, but I'll just keep trying. I imagine it'll work itself out eventually. If I don't face a wall when trying to squat, I know that I lean too far over my toes. I will definitely do more stretching though. My hamstrings are not REALLY tight, but they're tight enough and pull in strange ways.

snips
    Tight calves/gastronemius? If your calves are tight, the dorsiflexion angle of the ankle won't be great and that will force you backwards - off balance. You may be able to slightly improve things by focusing on flexing the muscles of the shin.. But you can really test this idea by standing with a block or wedge under your heels.

As long as it feels like most of your weight is on your heels, you aren't leaning too far over your toes. And, that all comes from ideas of protecting your knees.

Hip flexion factors in too.

Both of these factors can be easier or harder to work with depending on how far apart your knees and feet are, and whether your toes are pointed inward, neutral or outward. I think most people can squat more deeply with feet about shoulder width apart, and toes pointed slightly outwards. Feet outward allows more hip flexion which allows your upper body to move further forward - balancing you.

Cheers,

Matt-

tomi is online now Senior Member
    wow - I watched the video - and tried it - I can actually do the squat and easily stand back up - I did it several times! That means only one thing........... I'm getting healthier and stronger! Yeah PB! its working
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    wow - I watched the video - and tried it - I can actually do the squat and easily stand back up - I did it several times! That means only one thing........... I'm getting healthier and stronger! Yeah PB! its working
    Hooray for being stretchy and squatty and stronger!
    And hooray for PB/paleo or whatever ya wanna call it, because... hello, healthier!!!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Okay, so being in a squat as shown in the video, my shins hurts and my inner thighs (not the whole length, close to groin but not what I'd call groin) were VERY engaged. I could keep my feet flat on the floor, but all my weight was on my heels. Maybe I should just make my own video so you can critique. Anyway, I CAN stand up from that, but if I do it facing a wall to make sure I don't extend over my toes, I fall backwards. I can't lower into it without leaning over my toes. It feels like my whole pelvis is really tight, plus the pain/stretching in my inner thighs & shins.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    How to Squat: The Ultimate Guide To Proper Form on Squats StrongLifts

This video eludes to the idea that your balance problem is actually a core strength problem.

Additionally, watch his kees. They extend past the toes.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 05-16-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I suspected as much. My core strength is not very good. Isn't squatting supposed to help that?

Hopefully I can spend more time working on this with my chiropractor next month, but that depends on insurance coverage. I just met my deductible, but I'm not sure how much it will cost at 80% covered. I'll call the office and have them find out, I guess.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Start working on planks. Full length pushups help too. Deadlifts also help core strength. Mehdi has a great deadlift video too, just no explaination like with the squat video. I personally think my core has gotten stronger b/c of deadlifts. Before deadlifts, I could barely plank for 30 seconds. Now I can plank for 60x3.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

PrimalCon New York
    Kind of forgot about planks. Haven't been doing push-ups lately either. I will resume my efforts! If I focus on keeping my shoulders back & down while cycling, and supporting my upper-body with my arms and not my shoulders, it engages my core a little (a better seat would probably allow me to do more) and helps keep my shoulders from rounding forward. I can see the difference after just 3 days of cycling to and from work.

I don't think I can practice squats on week days right now! My legs were DEAD last night. They felt fine in the morning and my trip to work went fine. I had good energy. I'm going to modify my route slightly (won't change distance at all) and it might cut down the morning time a little because I'll use another crosswalk instead of trying to sneak across traffic =\. Trying to be safe, yet expediant.

I felt like I was running off adrenaline on my way home last night. I was so anxious at the end of the day and I didn't feel tired at all on the ride home. It wasn't a good feeling. I wonder if it was just all in my head, about riding in the rain (it stopped before I headed out but was still overcast).

Hulky and I are going to the town hall to file our notice of intent after work and then having dinner at his parents' house. I hope there is enough non-wheat stuff for me to eat (usually there's enough) because we had pizza last night and I don't want anymore wheat right now. I really wanted to make a gluten-free pizza crust, but I did not want to go through the effort of going out to get the mix. I just felt wiped, and it wasn't from the cycling.

My new supplements arrive today. Stinging nettle leaf to try in the morning for allergies, 5-HTP to re-stock, Inositol powder to take with 5-HTP in the evening, digestive enzymes to take with every meal, and colostrum powder to take in the morning (just a bit less than a teaspoon, single dose calls for 2/3 teaspoon). I ran out of l-glutamine and decided not to buy more, but I think I'd like to next month because I think it was helping with muscle recovery.