Page 4 of 750 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 4

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I thought you might be interested in following this thread as it does cover the what to eat out and fast issue which is one we all struggle with for lunch hour particularly. If it's not useful, just ignore it.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    The swimming is going okay. I'm mostly just moving, but I do sprints sometimes. My body overall feels better recently, despite still being quite tired in general and in moving myself about (mostly measured by the stairs heading up to work and to my room at home). I've going about 3x a week, though last week was only twice because I tweaked my right arm pretty badly and it hurt for a couple of days. I plan to start up again tomorrow, probably dragging the boyfriend with me, since we are seeing an apartment tonight.

Hike: I always take a walk (usually about 20 min) after I eat at work. I sit at my computer for most of the day. My first week was awful; my legs felt dead and like there was no blood flow. It was terribly painful to walk on after, and I had to elevate my legs in the evening. I then got a better chair and that feeling went away, but I remember it. It's not much, but it's a start, I suppose.

Sprint: I "sprint" in the pool. Free style is very hard for me so that kind of ends up being sprinting. My boyfriend and I race each other, giving head starts for our weak strokes (he is bad at breakstroke).

Lift heavy things: Nope. Intrigued by kettle-bell workouts. Would definitely like some more definition in my arms & abs, and I imagine any kind of strength training would do that.

Ditch grains & sugars: An ongoing struggle, but doing fairly well 1-2 weeks in. I had a little rice the other day but could only manage a couple of bites: it just wasn't satisfying. I haven't had any sweets aside from some cookies the other night and a brownie during my first week. I have avoided substituting anything for pasta-based dishes, which was a huge staple for me, but am going to see if I can find spaghetti squash soon.

Eat meat & fish: Oddly enough, struggling with this. Meat is a pretty central part of my diet, but figuring out the proper balance of meat to plant has been difficult. I've never cooked fish, only really dealt with tuna in a can, so that will be another challenge. Mostly, I am an uncreative cook and rely heavily on recipes. I am bookmarking a TON from this site and others. I actually started a grocery list with some lunch things, as well as dinner, to see if my boyfriend and I can mix and match a bit.

Eat Berries, Nuts, & Veggies: Again, struggling. I think I could eat a ton of berries in a heartbeat, because they're a natural sweet. I like almonds but haven't tried many other nuts (I know to avoid peanuts). I'm a picky veggie eater. Period. Texture, taste...I just have a hard time finding things I like. I know I don't like eggplant or zucchini, because of the mooshy texture.

Drink water: my doctor said 10-12 glasses a day. I bought a Klean Kanteen water bottle with a sports spout on the top that has helped me hydrate much better. I usually drink 60-90oz a day before I feel bloated (really depends on the day).

Sleep smart: I don't usually watch TV or movies, or am on my computer that soon before bedtime. In the past, it's taken me up to 3 hours to fall asleep, but that cut down to an hour or less in recent years. Over the past few weeks, I've felt so run down by 10pm that I'm usually in bed around 11 and fall asleep quickly (before my boyfriend comes to bed, which could be within 30min or 2 hrs). I wake up before my alarm, usually after about 7hrs, but always feel groggy and listless in the morning. I'm too nervous to try just getting up naturally, without an alarm, and too groggy to get out of bed when I first wake up.

Relax: I'm afraid of being too lazy, as that's something I'm trying to change. Reading is usually my form of relaxation, as is walking.

Today's lunch: I went to the local Shaw's (supermarket) which is very close to work. I will probably buy my nuts there as they had some pretty big bags. I bought a small container of 2% greek yogurt (plain) and a package of Babybel cheese (nostalgic snack, my Babushka used to give them to us). I ate about half the yogurt and 4/6 of the little cheese circles! I have some heartburn now, which tells me that I'm probably more sensitive to dairy than I used to be. Poo. I definitely don't feel as hungry as I did last week with my little veggie lunches. Even when I brought chicken, I was so hungry afterwards!

I also bought some Vitamin D 2000 IU capsules. My doctor recommended 1000 but I know from taking 8000 weekly for a couple of months (prescription from my old primary when my VitD was very low 3 years ago) that I probably need something a bit more. I'm going to do some research before I go for the fish oil capsules. I want to make sure I'm getting them from a good quality source.

Oh my gosh - you are doing so many good things and all you've been posting is the bad!! In contrast, I tend to celebrate what I do well and ignore or downplay what I'm struggling with.

For lunch, I know you were eating raw veggies and leftover meat, but maybe you were hungry because you needed a bit more fat in the meal. The reason I like a huge salad is in part the added olive oil in the dressing -- good fat that helps me feel full. Maybe you toss your veggies in a vinegrette. I know you like peppers, if you also like cabbage you might like this recipe for coleslaw. It's one of my favorites and I typically make a quarter recipe every Sunday as a go to veg for the week. Or maybe you make a dipping sauce for the veggies. Aioli is delicious and might be worth a try (if you like garlic).

I've also found that I need to eat more meat at lunch than I had originally thought - 5-6 ounces instead of 3 ounces. I don't know how much meat you brought to lunch last week, but that might also be contributing to your hunger. The can of tuna is an ideal size for me - and find that cans of tuna and salmon really are nice lazy toss ins. I'm not certain if you like fish at all but if you do you might find them useful. I typically buy tuna canned in water but you could also buy in canned in oil - which contributes towards the dressing.

Ooo - and I love Babybel cheese too. So cute. I too am finding I can't eat much dairy as it is upsetting my stomach now. I started added a bit last week and it's just not pleasant. Stomach pains are simply not acceptable in my world. It does seem that I can have a bit of cheese (just about the size of a babybel or less), a touch of cream in recipes and butter is no problem. I'm a bit sad about the yogurt. Maybe I need to find yogurt made with whole milk instead of 2% - I wonder if Whole Foods carries some or maybe the cheese counter at Eastern Market.

And reading isn't lazy - I refuse to accept that! You need to work your body and your mind to be a whole person. How boring we would all be if we didn't explore through the written word.

You're such a sweetheart, thank you for all this. My pieces of chicken were usually 2-3 smallish (not sure how they'd convert to ounces, but no bigger than palm sized [for medium-large female hands] each). Maybe some yogurt or cheese on the side with what I had before will still work. I'll try some tuna, but I'll probably bring some gum for the breath afterward haha. I do enjoy fish, just don't have it often for whatever reason. I can't wait till I have a backyard to grill in (and a grill).

Oh my gosh, I love garlic! Aioli scares me a little, but I think I will try it (1 egg, easy enough, right?). I think I will get some peppers this week, but I never remember what the flavors are like/which I like best fresh. At least a cream cheese dip would be tasty, if I can't make Aioli right. I do miss hummus.

This reminds me: I don't like mustard, but I LOVE my grandmother's spicy mustard. I need to get her to recreate the recipe for me. She likes to ask people if they like mustard/spicy mustard, and they are always shocked by how good/spicy hers is! Such a crafty old bird.

Yeah, it's usually a good idea to have a toothbrush and paste at work if you're going to eat fish. (and your dentist will love you!)

^Good thing I get spares from them!

I cheated tonight and had some fries and a chicken sandwich at a local brewery (and a beer, but I drink so minimally that I'm not really counting it). My BM told me that this was a bad idea, as did the stomach ache after.

I had a bit of an argument with my boyfriend, trying to explain to him about why cutting back on grains is good, but I couldn't explain it and he is a bio major so he had a lot of effective defenses about how the body processes different things. He said that genetically modified plants are just "unnaturally selected" for certain traits, not that they've been affected in a lab or had genes spliced and whatnot. I looked it up and he was wrong, and he got mad when I tried to explain it. Sigh. Maybe when I get this sorted out and am less tired all the time, he'll be willing to give it a shot for his insomnia (he, being a college student on summer vacation, is living a very sedentary life at the moment).

Regarding the boyfriend, he has access to the say info that you do but he's also allowed to form his own opinion about what those facts are. Send him the links to MDS, Rob Wolf, Weston Price, ect and let him follow the science on his own. It is not your job to convince him of the science. Let the scientists and the studies do that work.

What exactly is going on here? Is he trying to convince you to not eat primally? Are you trying to convince him to eat primally? Is it something else. I would get that the fight isn't about the science of primal living but about something else.
    He seems to be supporting you to the extend that he does try to discourage you from cheating. I remember he did it at the company picnic too. And I think that is great, particularly if he doesn't buy into a primal diet but is supporting your goals. That's nice if that is what is happening.

Damn, had something written up and had to close it.

I guess I just want to educate him, for my sake and his. It's helpful for me to have him know what I'm doing so he can support me (he does discourage cheating), and also I hope that I might encourage him to eat better. Not necessarily primal, but less grains and more fruits & veggies. We don't communicate well when neither of us quite understand what we're talking about, so we argue and then eventually give up when we realize that neither person is going to give and neither person makes sense to the other.

Eggs for breakfast are boring me, I should get some steaks and learn how to prepare them I'm tired of chicken too.

I have been absolutely drained recently and am really worrying about getting all these food ratios right. Yesterday, I took a nap after work for about 1/2 hr and could've just gone to bed then because I was so tired (this was before I cheated). Last night, I slept poorly, being woken up by my boyfriend's activity due to insomnia. He didn't come to bed until 4:30am but was in the room the whole time. I'm going to have to move back to my parents house it this keeps up, which would be very stressful for me. The dark rings under my eyes are getting pretty bad. I'm not sure how to bring this up to him without being too accusatory or critical, but he could've done everything he was doing on the laptop downstairs instead of his desktop in our room.

Man, I'm 4 pages in and I've done squat. Now I understand why people have journals here that are 100s of pages long

Thinking of going to the grocery store to browse. I don't have room to really bring anything home today (took the scooter to work, no storage space except for an expandable camera bag, under-seat is filled with rain cover), but I want to see what the local Shaw's has for deli meat (maybe I'll get 1/2 lb of turkey to munch on, still hungry after minimal lunch) and "milk" (really want to try almond milk, but I know I should get plain and I don't think that would be as tasty).

unsweetened plainlmond milk is actually not bad - and I've been drinking Vanilla Soy for years so that surprised me.

Page 4 of 750 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast