Page 389 of 738 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391399439489 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 7379

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 389

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Our news has been entierly about Boston. Federal Jury Duty - that's impressive. I didn't even know you could be called for that.

Thinking about:
    -yoga and/or pilates - improving posture and hopefully reducing the need to go to the chiropractor (my back is very poppy and crackly and it always goes away after an adjustment). Will spend some time btwn making dinner & doing laundry tonight looking for videos. This would be a good thing to incorporate on days when I'm not biking (while I'm "training") or on weekends once I'm biking 5/7 days of the week. Hell, maybe I'll be able to come up with a good morning routine.
    -Wondering how useful this stool test could really be. What if it shows nothing? Part of me just wants to continue plowing through with colostrum and probiotics, but I don't want to risk something being seriously wrong that we're missing.
    -Toes are nearly all better, at last. I even missed a couple days of treatment and they are still better. I think the new shoes made a big difference (larger toe box, made with antimicrobial materials).
    -Hulky and I jogged back and forth from his parents' house on Sunday (just two streets over). The way there, I was able to speak (with difficulty) the whole time. The way back, my shins hurt a lot. Hulky told me to take longer strides and that helped a little. It was easier than the way there, despite the pain. That is encouraging for my goal to run a mile without too much effort. That is something that I should be trying to do. I need to constuct an iPod arm-band so I can run with music and feel less self-conscious.
    -Before heading home on Sunday, we stopped at the local playground. Hulky has lost a lot of shoulder strength after tearing his shoulder two winters ago and could only do about 4 pull-ups. I could not even hang on the bar, it hurt my biceps too much. Disappointing and I don't know what to do to change that.

I am not sure if I'll have time to bike tonight, though it should be nice enough. I will probably try to find something to do indoors since I need to do laundry and I don't want to be up really late folding.

Hulky did not go to school today. I don't blame him and in fact feel a bit relieved that he will not be going into the city.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    To improve arm strength, work on your arms. If you want to be able to do a pull up, start trying to do them. If hanging is all you can do now, do that and work your way up to hanging with your arms bent. I believe Mark's fitness book highlights some stuff you can do to build your pull-up strength, just like squat strength and push up strength.

If it's difficult to talk and your shins are hurting, slow down. Another thing they say causes shin pain is the wrong shoes. Try running in your moccasins instead. Finally, take quick strides. As soon as your foot hits, pick it right back up again. Spending too much time on the ground can also cause shin pain. These are all things I was told by my PT when I had shin pain. I was told to aim for 180 strides per minute. Good luck and I hope you reach your goals.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I can't even hang, it hurts too much. I think I had the PBF, but I'm not finding it now, so I'm downloading it again. Looks like my next goal is 20 regular push-ups. I will need Hulky's help to be able to progress with pull-ups because I'd need assistance trying to hold myself up (can't install a pull-up bar in the apartment). Still can't get past neutral with the squats, but maybe I'll try that wall-leaning one. Not sure where I am with planks, will have to try that out tonight!

I was running in my new Merrells. I'll try quicker strides.

What if you used a door or something to help you with your squats? Maybe hang onto the door knob while doing down with the door between your legs to give you something to catch yourself with?

This is what my chiropractor told me about squats. She told me that while trying to get your form right, use a ball and do ball squats (with the ball between the wall and your back). Keep your feet shoulder width apart with toes pointing slightly outward. Make sure when you go down your knees are moving out to the sides and not moving in toward each other. Make sure you're situated in a what that you can "grip" the floor with your toes (stay on the midfoot, don't go onto the heel or clear up onto the toes). it sounds really complicated but it feels really right.

I don't use the ball anymore for body weight squats, but I do have to have my hands laced behind my neck to keep my chest up and out or I bend over too far. Getting squat form right is what my chiropractor says is the hardest thing about squats. She's a crossfit instructor and said that it took her an entire year to get her form right, so don't sweat it if you're not doing deep squats in a week.

Doing wall squats (back on wall, feet about 1' out from wall, slide down past neutral and then back up) is a lot easier for me. The sound and sensation of sliding my back on the wall is kind of unpleasant to me. I will have to see if I can find a shirt that makes this less uncomfortable. It's a sensory thing. The paint is too matte in the bathrooms at work for me to complete these. If the bathroom is empty, I'll try leaning against the stall wall. I did try a door squat today (door between my knees) and was able to complete a squat, but I wasn't positive that I wasn't overextending over my knees. I'll stay with the wall squats and use PBF as my progression guide.

Only 4 push-ups this morning! I need to start doing those again so I can get up to 20! I sent the PBF e-book to Hulky and he LOVED it. He said that's the idea of progression that he's been using and was happy to see how to expand in different ways. I told him to skip to the page where it lists the progressions for each exercise, but I'm hoping he might read the whole thing.

After reading about Tomi's plan of attack, my interest in barre and ballet was renewed yesterday. I downloaded some yoga videos and did a hip opening routine (maybe 20 minutes? not sure exactly how long). It was challenging, but not too tiring. My hips felt good afterwards. I couldn't find any barre videos to download and am checking out Amazon reviews to see what DVD might be the best for me. I'm not interested in the cardio ones. I tried the Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown video and turned it off within the first few minutes. It's too challenging to hold a pose while my heart is racing and seems very counter intuitive to the whole building-strength-slowly with yoga.

I want to get 3 or 5 lb hand weights to use for the videos. I think I'd rather get 5 lbs and do fewer reps, if I can't keep up.
    I'm looking at these three right now:
    Amazon.com: Ballet Beautiful: Total Body Workout: Mary Helen Bowers, Kate Elson: Movies & TV
    Amazon.com: Element: Ballet Conditioning: Elise Gulan, n/a: Movies & TV
    Amazon.com: Tracey Mallett-The Booty Barre-Total New Body: Tracey Mallett, ATP Fitness Productions: Movies & TV

The weather is great today and I will go biking tonight. Unfortunately, I also need to go grocery shopping. I am SO TIRED of rice. Need moar potatoes!

Things to remember to tell the doctor on Monday:
    -Gas & bloating gets worse as the day goes on, worst in the evening
    -Improvement w/ taking colostrum (having a BM at least 1x daily, after lunch, though it's a bit hard)
    -Acne & dry skin
    -Still dealing with sensation of mild yeast infections on and off, no apparent correlation with food (for example, nothing over the weekend when I ate wheat & sugar, but now I feel it?)
    -Persistent infection on toes (a little itchy today, friggin' go away already!)
    -Weight gain (up to 130 lbs now, all in hips, thighs, & upper arms??? stomach is still relatively flat when not bloated...wonder if this is hormones or from the starches)

Things for me to remember
    -TAKE PROBIOTIC
    -EAT SAUERKRAUT
    -Sit up straight

Forgot to add: my appetite was completely absent this morning. I am now hungry. I felt disgusted with the thought of food so all I have for lunch is an orange (the last one) and two gluten and dairy-free chocolate chip cookies I made. I will likely go to Shaw's to get apples, almond butter, and Larabars, at least to get me through today.

I feel so unhappy with being inside right now. I feel anxious sitting here. I wish I could go biking now. I wish I could get groceries now. I wish I could be at home today.

I have been sleeping better this week. I wonder why I'm suddenly so unhappy.

I'm feeling the funk today too. Lack of sleep, rainy weather and muscle soreness are what I'm blaming it on - although my sugar consumption could also have something to do with it.

Measuring my response to reading about any headway with information on the Boston Marathon bombing... I'm not dealing with this as well as I would hope. Even avoiding the news on it and not thinking on it directly, I still feel out of sorts. Recovery from an emotional incident has always been difficult for me, most likely due to low serotonin. I thought that with 5-HTP, it'd be easier.

I'm looking at my PTO and feeling guilty. I don't even have enough for 5 full days off right now. I am not going to need it until later in the summer, maybe (and I still have my floating holidays), but this seems like a stupid reason to try and leave work. I can't think of anything that would be a good excuse except the truth, that I'm not handling this well, but I have no doubt I would start crying when talking to my supervisor.