Page 387 of 767 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397437487 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 7662

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 387

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    For concealed carry (open carry only for officers of the law) it requires an application, criminal background check, mental background check, $140, and the concealed carry course.
    (Well, you can open carry under the pretense of carrying it in/ out of a building, in a vehicle, or hunting.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I don't actually know if I could get concealed carry, but I don't want that anyway. Just want to be able to legally own a gun and move it if I need to. Just starting my research, anyway.

I was in a day program at a mental hospital for two weeks as a teen and have been in therapy plenty. I don't know if that would be enough for them to deny me a license. It's okay if they did, I'd still want to take the safety course if Hulky was going to have a gun.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sorry if I am seeming bitchy, not sure if that is coming across through text. Still having a rough time mentally. Hulky was very endearingly protective when I called him, bawling, after therapy. He told me I would have to find a new therapist with hours after work and not on a Friday if this ever happened again! Not likely to happen, I like her too much.

He also sent me the text from his fortune cookie: love is what makes you smile when you are tired.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    We did conceal carry. The fee was the same for conceal carry / permit to purchase, except now we can hunt with our handgun b/c we're legal to carry it. The only difference was that Brad had to take a course to "conceal carry" and we wouldn't have had to for the permit to purchase.

I guess, I have always been around guns - literally, my whole life as my dad is an avid gun guy and my mom/stepdad had guns in the house. And of course, I had the military training, so I'm relatively comfortable with guns - even have one loaded in my house, but it's under coded lock (gun safe has a digital combo). I guess if you've never fired a gun or been around them much, a course wouldn't be a bad idea... but if you know someone close to you who you trust to teach you general gun safety, you could go that route too and save the money. I'd be willing to teach you how to handle/shoot a gun if we lived closer to each other. Hulky should be able to teach you. I don't know that it's worth the $200 for them to say "This is how you hold a gun. This is the trigger. Don't touch it unless you're ready to shoot". Shoot, Hulky can teach you all that. There's honestly NOTHING in that class that they'll teach you that Hulky can't teach you - except maybe Mass state gun laws, which you can read for yourself online. If you don't want to have the license and Hulky is capable of getting a license, then don't bother with the class. Find a shooting range somewhere in Mass and spend a day learning how to handle it and fire it. It's really about respect more than classroom taught skill. Even the Army only gives an hour long brief on how to handle, fire and secure a weapon before they teach you how to shoot.

If it were me, I'd save my money.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Hulky could teach me, but you HAVE to have a certificate from a certified firearms instructor in order to get a permit. That's the requirement for the permit.

I don't want to be taught by someone I know, I want a professional. I am not comfortable with guns nor have I been around them. I did not grow up when them being discussed, let alone being around me. Even guns on police officers made me nervous, but I understand the occasional necessity of them for personal safety. In order for me to not be afraid of a thing, I need to understand it.

Hulky could show me how to operate it and everything, but I would rather be legally certified to do so. If it came down to it, I'm not going to let my legal standing be a problem in the case of self defense (though if someone broke into my home and I felt my life was in danger, in Mass, I can kill them in self defense).

Words cannot describe how pissed I am this morning. I am on my phone so I don't want to try to get into why. Please send me patience and good thoughts today. I am not sure if I got any sleep last night and I feel entirely trapped because the rest of the apartment smells like cigarettes.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Sending hugs and hope for a peaceful day.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    *HUGS* Plenty of love and happiness headed your way.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hulky could teach me, but you HAVE to have a certificate from a certified firearms instructor in order to get a permit. That's the requirement for the permit.

I don't want to be taught by someone I know, I want a professional. I am not comfortable with guns nor have I been around them. I did not grow up when them being discussed, let alone being around me. Even guns on police officers made me nervous, but I understand the occasional necessity of them for personal safety. In order for me to not be afraid of a thing, I need to understand it.

Hulky could show me how to operate it and everything, but I would rather be legally certified to do so. If it came down to it, I'm not going to let my legal standing be a problem in the case of self defense (though if someone broke into my home and I felt my life was in danger, in Mass, I can kill them in self defense).
    Have you considered looking in to one of the NRA gun safety courses? Yeah, I know.... but the NRA is much more in to gun safety classes than most folks know. Everyone thinks of them a just a lobbyist group. They are much more than that. They have several different courses, and they are nation wide. Another consideration is going to a gun store, they may have classes. There are gun shops here that have shooting ranges on site, and you can rent one of their guns to shoot. That way you can try several different guns and calibers and find one that you feel comfortable with.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Hugs to you this morning. And patience and good thoughts...

I admit I might not be handling such smells so nicely.
    I have literally sprayed PEOPLE with febreeze before while opening windows.
    "Oh, was that rude of me... ? or was it you stinking up MY house!"
    RAWRRRRRRRRR.

LOL.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.