Page 338 of 762 FirstFirst ... 238288328336337338339340348388438 ... LastLast
Results 3,371 to 3,380 of 7611

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 338

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    I'm looking into natural pain relieving remedies & sleep aids for Hulky. He's been taking 9 mg of melatonin and no longer has to get up after not being able to fall asleep. I think he could take less, he keeps looking for things that have a knock-out effect for him. Melatonin is not supposed to be like that.

SAM-e is supposed to be good for seratonin, dopamine, and pain relief. Can take a few weeks to build-up.

Turmeric is also supposed to be helpful for inflammation & pain. You can get it in capsules. I think that also takes some time for relief to take effect.

Magnesium might help with his sleep issues, and I know you can get Calcium-Magnesium-D blends. He is deficient in D and needs all the help he can get for bone/joint health. I think we'll start with this, no more than 200mg magnesium at night. The D won't be enough for a deficiency, so I might still try to get him to take that separately in the AM. We'll increase the dose until the magnesium indicates it's enough (loose stools). I don't think this will help with the pain, but it's something.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    scotch. it does both.

though this is probably not recommended nor a 'suppliment' per se.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Alcohol doesn't make him sleepy and scotch is gross =P. The smell always gives me major nostalgia though (my grandfather drank it on the rocks, I can hear the ice clinking in the glass when I smell it).

Man, finding a supplement mix that's mostly magnesium, not mostly calcium, is hard! I don't know how much I believe/trust in the supposed benefits of supplementing calcium. Then again, on a largely SAD diet, maybe it would help him =\.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Man, finding a supplement mix that's mostly magnesium, not mostly calcium, is hard! I don't know how much I believe/trust in the supposed benefits of supplementing calcium. Then again, on a largely SAD diet, maybe it would help him =\.
    Now, this is going to make me sound like a dick, but anyway...

based on what drssgchic said the other day reference food vs. supplimentation would it not make more sense to fix his diet rather than looking for a magic suppliment to make up for the shit he eats?

Also, scotch is awesome :P
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

He is not willing to change his diet. I don't push it. He might come around eventually, but the less I encourage it, the more amenable he is. The fact that he's willing to supplement is a miracle. I don't think I could get him to agree to even a two week trial of paleo and I'd be scared to ask.

I don't know if it would be enough for his pain, anyway. It could be nerve damage. It could be something that reduced inflammation won't help. So anything that can decrease the pain without f*cking with his gut is a good thing (I don't entirely trust NSAIDs, he does).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    He is not willing to change his diet. I don't push it. He might come around eventually, but the less I encourage it, the more amenable he is. The fact that he's willing to supplement is a miracle. I don't think I could get him to agree to even a two week trial of paleo and I'd be scared to ask.

I don't know if it would be enough for his pain, anyway. It could be nerve damage. It could be something that reduced inflammation won't help. So anything that can decrease the pain without f*cking with his gut is a good thing (I don't entirely trust NSAIDs, he does).
    Fair enough. Tumeric seems to be the buzz-word spice of the week. That said, it needs to be taken with black pepper to be of any use (so I have heard). That said, the pills may have this taken care of already. Personally I eat it on eggs, chicken, etc as part of my diet. Stuff tastes good.

You know what, recently he did say that, within reason, he would try my suggestions. I just don't know if he would find a two-week trial of no wheat (& no alcohol( unreasonable. He doesn't like squash or sweet potato, doesn't eat much fruit (not sure if he'd be willing to for the trial). I wonder if wheat-free would be enough, or if we'd have to cut potatoes too. Otherwise he'd be eating a lot of potatoes so he could just try regular primal, not LC. I'm hesitant to allow white rice because ideally, he'd go grain-free. Maybe strictly wheat-free for 2 weeks is a good place to start, however. I wonder if he would lose any of that vanity weight he wants to shed.

I'll think about it. Gotta talk to him more about trying new things and see what he's willing to do.

Maybe I will try turmeric on more of our dinners. I don't really know what it tastes like, though I know it's been in things I've made and that my mom made when I was living at home.

I think it depends on the dude. I can only speak for myself. For example, most men (me) hate when women (wives) suggest I join them on whatever the frack diet they are doing because I do not want to eat shitty cottage cheese and half a grapefruit. That said, give me some ribs, some sauteed kale, and some grilled asparagus and I will happily eat like you do. In other words make him primal food that tastes good and he should have no issues.

Though, on the flip side, if you were to tell me how great your WOE was and then say, "Oh, and take these 6 suppliments" you would lose a ton of credibility. Of course, I am a skeptical sob.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I asked my husband the other day why he won't even consider Primal. "Is it because I do it? I said. He said, "Not at all, I just don't want to live without bread forever."

I see your point. He does eat primal dinners with me most of the time. I think if I make an effort to mix up the dinner menu for those two weeks, it would make it easier and more appealing for a long-term change. He loves bacon, eggs & sausage, so that could be a back-up dinner option. You just reminded me that I've been wanting asparagus for a while. I want to start roasting veggies more, which also means more bacon, because I need that grease (and it's delicious)!

Early on at the apartment, I made primal dinners without major carbs & he complained about not feeling good. I think he was getting carb flu! I want to try and minimize that effect as much as possible for now, so perhaps he can keep his regular potatoes & white rice.

Ideally, he'd do a full month, but I think 2 weeks should be enough time for him to notice any changes in digestion/bloating/weight and maybe congestion & regular aches.