Page 326 of 750 FirstFirst ... 226276316324325326327328336376426 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,260 of 7492

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 326

Shop Now
    Funny story about moving a washer and dryer. Then-BiL and I were moving his W&D to a new condo, and it's no big deal with two guys and a hand truck. Silly me, I trusted him to strap the dryer to the hand truck, and I was the guy guiding the dryer from below as he was going to take the hand truck from above - I'm there strictly to brace the dryer as it's lowered each step and bumps down. Couple of steps in the thing comes loose and everything goes slo-mo, me literally falling backward down the steps to the basement, this farkin white cube o' metal bouncing down after me. It was so weird, like a sequence from Hitchcock. Somehow I kept backpedalling as I went backwards and stayed ahead of the dryer, and it just missed me. It was a little dented was all.

I strapped the washer onto the hand truck.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I've done some kraut in the past, no big deal. Check out yard sales and such for people parting ways with large earthenware crocks. New ones are $$$, but if you can't find an earthenware crock you can use large wide-mouth jars or other food-safe containers. I put juniper berries in mine for some extra flavor, and Mrs. FW likes the German-style use of caraway seeds.
    Can you link me to the kind of container you are referring to? I can't really envision it. "Earthenware" does not sound like something my mom has ever had. I wonder if my grandma has some in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Can't you just see these two handsome guys with tux shirts thrown wide open to reveal their true characters? What an amazing wedding photo!
    That's exactly what I want

Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    We didn't have any tom foolery at our wedding. At my brother's first wedding all the groomsmen gave him a condom when we walked down the aisle and shook hands with him. There were like 10 groomsmen or something. It was a huge wedding/waste of money. So he had a pocket full of condoms through the ceremony. I've heard of people giving the groom golf balls as well. Anything to make them uncomfortable.
    I heard of a guy that wrote SAVE on the bottom of one shoe and ME on the other. When they took Communion knelt at the altar with their backs to everyone you could read his message.
    I might just tell our friends to bring condoms to slip him throughout the day. That would be hilarious. I'm pretty sure he'd start playing with them at the reception. My family would be mortified .

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Most of the photos of Geek at our wedding were of him in sunglasses and suit (green shirt) and looking every bit the James Bond hunk I see him as.
    <3
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

FW, I'm glad you survived to share your wit with us.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Can't you just see these two handsome guys with tux shirts thrown wide open to reveal their true characters? What an amazing wedding photo!
    THIS!!! Definitely!

Earthenware is the same as ceramic crocks. Here's one at Amazon: Amazon.com: Ohio Stoneware 1GC Crock 7-34/"x8-1/4" - 1 Gallon: Home & Kitchen

This one is one gallon, so probably bigger than you'd need. In Practical Paleo she uses Mason jars, but the important thing is to make sure it remains completely covered with water all at times while brewing or it'll turn moldy.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Guess I need Practical Paleo haha. From what I read, you have to put a plate over the sauerkraut while it's brewing (and weigh it down with something)...so not sure how you would do that with a mason jar (of which I have MANY)? Guess I need to do more reading.

She used a full size cabbage leaf to hold it all in the jar... I will look tonight and see what she suggests.

This is what you'll find at Amazon, etc., that runs big bucks.

These are the kind of old-timey "earthenware crocks" you can find at yard sales.

Only difference, besides spending $100 less, is that you might need to use a plate to weigh down the kraut and then cover w/ cheesecloth with the old timey crocks.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    From those descriptions- I bet the ceramic liner to a crock pot would also work- assuming you had/made a cover.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

I think the basement is the only place sauerkraut could sit undisturbed for a couple of weeks, but I don't know how much the temperature varies down there. I drop the thermostat to 50 at night because we're sleeping and bundled up, but it's 62-65F during the day upstairs. No idea how cold it actually gets.

[edit] I don't think I could find a plate to fit in my oval crock pot liner, that's the only reason why I wouldn't want to use that. Seems like it's supposed to be a pretty tight fit.