Page 324 of 740 FirstFirst ... 224274314322323324325326334374424 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 7394

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 324

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Love it!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Actually... $70 for that dress, in color of choice, made to custom measurements... is a steal!
    Just sayn.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    True. But I figure, if I could do it for $25-30, who knows what that extra money could go towards?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    True. But I figure, if I could do it for $25-30, who knows what that extra money could go towards?
    Yeah, true.

If I was doing it... as I see there are some good tutorials now that I've Googled for the pattern... I'd seriously consider getting some super cheap jersey/poly knit in a fun print pattern from the discount isle bin for like a buck a yard and whipping up the first one.
    It can be a fun going out dress or whatever.
    The Convertible “Infinity” Dress: How it almost defeated me, and what you need to make one

Even if you are familiar with a fabric it helps to be familiar with a pattern when doing a special occasion dress.
    Stress free sewing!

This coming from someone who used both velvet AND sheer for the first time, together, on a PROM dress. (nightmares)
    It came out fine... but there were some really dicey moments that I had to work out, and I already had many years of sewing experience. My "city" grandmother was TINY and could have practically been a professional seamstress for the quality of her work... she made her clothing because stylish women's clothes simply weren't made as small as she was and she was all about the Style.

My other grandmother sewed clothing before I was around... but once I was there it was quilts and doll clothes I learned from her. So another facet of sewing.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

That's one of the tutorials I was looking at. I want one of those dresses for myself anyway, so I will probably try it out in the summer time. Having small boobs will probably be a problem for me, but my sister doesn't. She thought they looked nice, though I think it might be too casual for her (in terms of taste/wearing again). We'll see! Even if she doesn't wear it again, she'll look nice to me .

But yeah, stretch fabrics are very forgiving when there's supposed to be ruching anyway. Don't have to worry about little folds here and there. Maybe I'll use some old bed sheets for my test dress (I have some jersey sheets that I want to replace, grey heather, some spots here and there, would look good dyed)!

Looks like, for the whole thing in a jersey/stretch fabric, it'd need about 5 yards.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    My "city" grandmother was TINY and could have practically been a professional seamstress for the quality of her work... she made her clothing because stylish women's clothes simply weren't made as small as she was and she was all about the Style.

My other grandmother sewed clothing before I was around... but once I was there it was quilts and doll clothes I learned from her. So another facet of sewing.
    My great-grandmother used to make us all underwear... they were white "satin" without a crotch liner, see through and the elastic was much too tight. I didn't like them. My mom loved them.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Seriously consider watching the $dollar bins...
    You can get some really cool prints in there and make one of those two tone dresses like is in that tut for nearly nothing.

Read closer on the tut for the skirt yardage she used vs the strap yardage...
    "- A square for the skirt (so if you’re using 60″-wide material, you need 60″ length), plus
    - 1.5 times your height (if you’re five feet tall, that’s seven and a half feet, or two and a half yards… but you can round down if you’re five and a half feet, no problem), plus
    - about 20″ for the waistband.
    So for me, using a 60″-wide knit and being 5’5″, my dress takes almost five yards."
    Basically 2 yds of a color/pattern for the skirt section and band section... and 3 yds of another color for the straps.
    But you'll have enough for two full sets of straps from that 3 yard piece... LOL
    So consider picking a second fun fabric that matches the strap color at a later date and making another dress!

And don't worry about teh boobs size!
    The way you style the top will have a lot to do with how the dress looks with what size boobs you have.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

OMG I would hate those, Jenn!

I would love to conquer underwear making someday. I feel like it would be much more practical to make undies out of old t-shirts and elastic than hunt for properly fitting pairs.

So Hulky and I have been emailing back & forth since we realized that's the only internet access he has at work. More verbose than text . I heard back from our back-up venue, which is in town, closer to my grandma's than the beach location, and basically right across the street from the hotel at which we'd probably block rooms. It's a former church hall that you can rent out. Looks nice, fairly simple. They're getting a dance floor installed soon, have a kitchen, would provide tables & chairs. price is very cheap for the time blocks (4, 8, or 12 hrs). That means the majority of the cost would go to catering, sound system rental, and the little things (linens, tableware, if those aren't included w/ catering, some decoration).

I also found that a marine museum in town close to the ship yard that my grandfather worked at (he was a drafter, I think, not a laborer) has a hall you can rent out. I'm going to show the site to Hulky tonight to see if he thinks we should inquire about the space. It looks cool and I think it overlooks the river, which would be nice. They also have an outdoors space so we could just get a tent there, but then we'd need to rent stuff like a dance floor. Not sure if our first choice by the beach has that kind of stuff, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Basically 2 yds of a color/pattern for the skirt section and band section... and 3 yds of another color for the straps.
    But you'll have enough for two full sets of straps from that 3 yard piece... LOL
    So consider picking a second fun fabric that matches the strap color at a later date and making another dress!

And don't worry about teh boobs size!
    The way you style the top will have a lot to do with how the dress looks with what size boobs you have.
    Thanks for the tips . I think I'll use what we've got, or whatever junk my mom has for a test dress first, but I will check the $ bins for the makings of a dress for me to keep. And then we'll see, in the September - December range of this year, if I'm still loving this idea for the MoH dress. I figure I'll keep my eyes out for styles I like of dresses for me now, but I don't want to buy anything until we're 6-9 months away, in case my mind changes. I also really want to try dresses on so I can see what styles I like *on* me. I am liking some of the more Grecian styles that J.Crew has in their bridesmaid collection. No idea if I want white or something with color at this point. I just know I don't like pastels.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I am so excited listening to you plan your wedding. So fun! I can't wait to see it all put together (in pictures, of course).
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)