Page 283 of 738 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 7379

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 283

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    May I ask, which character? I'm guessing Luna, because she should be everyone's favorite.

I have to say I really like Tonks, though I think the reason is obvious (see hair).
    Got to respect a woman fighting big battles right after giving birth. That said Luna is my favorite with Neville coming in a close second.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I love Luna! She adorable - and very straight forward!

As for names............ sweetie!!!!! Try being born in 1960 and given the name Tomi Roberta Baker. OY! Yes, it is pronounced "tommy" like the boy version. Do you know how many times I've answered the question, "did your parents want a boy?" and I can't tell you how many times I've have to correct when people call me Toni, Tammi, Tori, Bobby, Toby or Connie! And no, its NOT short for anything. Its just Tomi. I was named after my dad - who died in a car accident when my mother was 3 months pregnant with me. Thomas Robert Baker = Tomi Roberta Baker. Now, lets talk about the Baker, Baker, Bake me a cake jokes!!! I was at least 35 before coming to terms with my name. So............. choose wisely and carefully!!! Don't choose a name that can be rhymed with anything that sounds like a bodily function or can be shortened or lengthened to make another word.

Your name is beautiful! Purhaps consider it as a middle name if you should be blessed with a daughter. As for Junior -- thats sorta a "guy thing". I don't get it either.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Jr.'s... My husband is a Jr.

His father left when he was about 3 and is ever the most irresponsible and absentee person...

At one point a lack of the Jr/Sr moniker on some paperwork caused my husband to be confused for his father who has absolutely DREADFUL credit ratings.
    It took a good bit of sorting out. It was his fathers doing... possibly intentionally, but we couldn't really prove it.

Husband has perfectly normal but not too common first and middle names.

Me... well, I've lamented my name before over in GP's journal.
    My first name isn't used at all. I do't really respond to it of feel any connection to it. But it's normal. Melissa.
    My middle name, not so much. Coriander. Of which I have always been called, and use only half, thus the Cori.
    I used to HATE it. It was weird. I grew to really like it over the years. I feel it's comfortable and fit's me, it's kind of a gender-less name and that makes me happy... it's spelled wrong, it's a little bit odd, it's just kind of right for me.
    I still have not found another person on earth named Coriander yet. But at least these days, since the advent of the Cooking Channel, lots of people actually know that it's a spice instead of looking at me like an alien.

The last name... the Married one anyway.
    Now you would THINK that Pitcher would be easy. No. It's not.
    How people get Pritchard out of that I have NO CLUE, but that do... or Picture...
    No... Pitcher... like a baseball pitcher, or a pitcher or beer. Really, it's so simple.
    *sigh*

Husband and I only name dogs. It's much easier. Though they do tend to end up with 'human' names.
    Although I was given porcelain baby that my grandmother handmade...
    We named him Randall.
    Yes that is a true story.
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-07-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You would think Jennifer wouldn't be hard to fuck up. It's the name of every 3rd girl in my generation (Jessica is every second.) Nope. I've gotten 1 n, 3 'n's, 2 'f's, 2 'r's, no 'e's, no 'i', a 'g', 'y's... you name it. How that barista got Giniphyrre out of Jennifer remains a mystery (I know the phonetics, don't ruin my story.) Don't call me Jenny, either. I haven't been Jenny since middle school. Then people discovered a jenny is a female mule and decided it fit my personality. After reacting like my namesake, they got the message.
    Kathleen. I've met few people that don't insist on "Kathaleen." NO! Do you see a second 'A'?! I've thought about lying and saying Krista or something less butcherable.
    My last name sounds like slang for marijuana. Nope, that doesn't draw attention.
    Geek has two very common names and is a junior. I point blank refuse to have a third, especially [common name, REALLY common name, marijuana] III.
    My sister was Cassandra Laquita. Don't do that to your child. I don't care if she's a namesake. Just don't.
    My mother was Karon. No, not Kayron, not Carone. Karon, like Sharon. Don't do that to your kid.
    Then again, we're talking about Eris Lenore and Nikolai Julius, so... yeah, I've got no room to talk.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    On the ring thing- you can wear a non-set together. Mom does. Her diamond is in it's second setting (after the first died), and their wedding bands were unique works of art that were wedding presents. 'Course, we also had a dining room table with six chairs in three styles, so that might not work for everyone

Highschool Biology was me (Elizabeth), Liz, and Beth. My major in college? Say "Liz" or "Jess" and you got half the major's attention. Someone asked where "Elizabeth" sat. Which one? She has brown hair. Which one? Yeah, that was Liz, Liz, and I. When I was little, I was Lilly because Mom always wanted one, so my middle name was Lillian. Around 5th or 6th grade, I decided that I was Elizabeth (my first name). I've been fighting Liz ever since. I have nothing against the name, it's just not an apt descriptor for me. (Lizzy, however, does make me cringe- a diminutive of a diminutive is just wrong!) However, it has made me more inclined to pronounce other people's names as they spoke it during the introduction.

According to my cousin (who grew up around old East Coast families), never, ever, ever date a Third. The two I've known I was/am good friends with, but could never date.

Cori- I refuse to believe that anyone tried to apply Melissa to you.

Naiad- I so need to use Giniphyrre in something now!
    Last edited by drssgchic; 01-07-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I know I shouldn't say this because I'm sure to offend someone, but what is up with this thing that parents are doing to their poor kids - giving them normal names with weird spellings? Like Jaxson instead of Jackson and Jaiyson instead of Jason and Mykall instead of Michael. Why would someone do that to a poor defenseless infant? Why is this considered desirable? And why do people give their children names that sound like they should belong to the family pet? Okay, I'm officially a curmudgeon now, and my rant is over.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I know I shouldn't say this because I'm sure to offend someone, but what is up with this thing that parents are doing to their poor kids - giving them normal names with weird spellings? Like Jaxson instead of Jackson and Jaiyson instead of Jason and Mykall instead of Michael. Why would someone do that to a poor defenseless infant? Why is this considered desirable? And why do people give their children names that sound like they should belong to the family pet? Okay, I'm officially a curmudgeon now, and my rant is over.
    ^ exactly. A name should not bring pain and frustration for ones entire life!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    I know a family with a set of three girls...

Tootsie, Barbie, and Candie.
    Not a JOKE. Those are first names.

You're welcome.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    My wife worked on a Labor & Delivery floor at one point in her nursing career and recalls a story of a woman that gave birth to twins and named them Lemonjello (pronounced Le-MON-gel-o) and his brother Orangejello (pronounced o-RAN-gello), and the source of the names? The hospital dietary menu sheet...... yup kids named after jiggly desserts.... DON'T do THAT to your kids!