Page 276 of 739 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286326376 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 7388

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 276

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    What did you think of Django?
    Loved it! I found the gore tolerable, and I generally don't have a stomach for QT levels of gore. Jamie Foxx was awesome. I would love to see Christopher Waltz in more (just saw on IMDB that he was in a terrible adaptation of The Three Musketeers in 2011, must see this). I think I liked it better than Inglourious Basterds. Leonardo DiCaprio was brilliant in it, completely new kind of role for him, I felt. I was never bored, every moment, even the slow dialogue, felt well planned.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Loved it! I found the gore tolerable, and I generally don't have a stomach for QT levels of gore. Jamie Foxx was awesome. I would love to see Christopher Waltz in more (just saw on IMDB that he was in a terrible adaptation of The Three Musketeers in 2011, must see this). I think I liked it better than Inglourious Basterds. Leonardo DiCaprio was brilliant in it, completely new kind of role for him, I felt. I was never bored, every moment, even the slow dialogue, felt well planned.
    Just saw it yesterday and agree with all that, except I don't mind QT's cartoonish gore. There were some parts that were just laugh out loud funny, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    So, I definitely think you're being smart. And there's really no hurry. Gone are the days when we have to have kids in our early 20's. I was 27 before I had Brady, and 30 before Makenna was born.
    I reminded Boyfriend that we want to travel and I think that helped quell any trouble he was having with our decision! I think we could manage it, if we really wanted to. We're just that kind of people. I hope we can get to Europe at least once before having kids (though I think I'd rather do something warm/tropical for a honeymoon).

Sometimes I think, "This is my last chance to have a baby at [insert age]." Really silly way to think about it. I have many years yet until I wouldn't want to risk it (for the baby's health). As it is, I plan on being incredibly healthy for as long as I can stand it, so my chances are good . Fixing my hormonal issues now will probably help later on, too! It's pretty common for women to have kids in their late 20s or early 30s in this area of the country, apparently. My mom had my sister and me at 31 and 33, and my brother at 42! Growing up, my friends' parents were similarly aged. My first encounter with a younger mother was Boyfriend's sister (the middle child), who is a mother of 3 at the age of 26 (first baby at 21). I certainly don't regret taking this path, and I definitely want Boyfriend to finish his education before we take steps towards settling down.

Boyfriend really wants to be a stay-at-home person (he asks me from time to time when he can be a "stay-at-home [name]"). I think he'd be an excellent SAH dad. I hate that maternity leave isn't a given in this country. How messed up is it that you have to plan ahead and sign up for short-term disability in order to get paid for a few months to take care of your new baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Just saw it yesterday and agree with all that, except I don't mind QT's cartoonish gore. There were some parts that were just laugh out loud funny, too.
    Absolutely. Sometimes the cartoonish level of gore is just too graphic to me, but this was good (and funny). It kind of made me think of a comic that became a film, and wasn't supposed to be funny originally.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Absolutely. Sometimes the cartoonish level of gore is just too graphic to me, but this was good (and funny). It kind of made me think of a comic that became a film, and wasn't supposed to be funny originally.
    Yeah, Mrs. FW was (mostly) OK with the gore. The shoot-em-up stuff was OK with her, the dogs scene and the guys wrestling less so. She surprises me. She hated Reservoir Dogs, but started watching Kill Bill one day and loved it. Kill Bill has to have the highest body count of any of QT's flix. We both laughed when Django killed off QT in his cameo...

The cameo was good, didn't feel forced, which I think is important (on the flip side, Stan Lee's cameos in the super hero flicks always make me laugh just because he is who he is, even if they're obvious). I have problems with obvious bone-breaking & gut shots (from the camera), but exploding shot bodies from a distance isn't so bad, and lots of blood splatter (splatter doesn't sound heavy enough) doesn't bother me, it's the stuff. Guts and brains and stuff. Ugh. Yeah, the dogs and wrestling bothered me most. I looked away!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Like your brother, my parents were older when they had me. Mom was 40 and dad was about to turn 42. I had decided when I was much younger that if we ever did have kids (and we did), that I wanted to be a younger mother rather than an older one. I hated having older parents and siblings. I never felt really connected to my family at all and really only have an active relationship with 1.5 of my 3 siblings. I say 1.5 because I don't really talk much with the one that gets the half. My siblings are a full decade to almost 2 decades older than I am. I was pretty much left to my own devices and have learned to rely more on myself than have a support system. I remember being 5, taking a blanket, my teddy bear and a book and laid under a tree in the front yard around noon and fell asleep in front of it and the rest of my family left without looking for me and locked me out of the house. I ended up going to my neighbor's house in tears and she yelled at my mom when they came back. This is why I never wanted to be a parent for the first time in my 40's. My youngest will be graduating from high school when I am 44!!
    Georgette

I don't want to be any older than my parents were when they have kids (would like to be around to see grandkids and in good physical ability to interact with them, if I don't live to be ancient), but I'm okay with the idea of waiting till mid-30s if it's just not working out for whatever reason. I don't want to wait any later than that (for a first child, wouldn't have anymore at that point) because my brother has Down Syndrome and I do not think I could handle having a child with Down's. I wouldn't want to have kids that many years apart, for their sake, but for my brother, I think he has liked having two older sisters. We coddled the crap out of him. My sister wonders if that's why he's such a hugger now, but I think that just comes with the territory of his disability.

It's kind of weird thinking about this so seriously. I've never discussed plans about having children with anyone before because it never seemed like it would happen. It's still all hypothetical, but now there's a partner in crime that is on board with me and it really COULD happen. Exciting.

And if we never have kids for any reason, we'll spoil the crap out of Boyfriend's nieces and nephews (and my sister's kids if she has any), and travels lots, and be an awesome aunt & uncle. I want to be an awesome aunt anyway, the one that gives you the cool wacky gifts you didn't know you wanted.

I dunno, I'm 48 and still think about it. I feel pretty zippy and think I would have good stuff to impart. Of course, I'm not that much younger than my grandparents were when I popped into the world, but then again, I don't remember them listening to Black Keys, clomping around in camo shorts and boots on the weekends, running 5Ks, or shit like that there. On the flip side, I do enjoy naps more than I used to, I don't play video games, and if any more hair starts growing out of my fucking ears I'm turning that shit into rasta braids. I'm gonna do it AND wear sandals with black socks.

You wouldn't be the one growing the kid for 9 months! No matter how healthy, bouncing back after a kid as you get older must be difficult. I worry more about the integrity of my genetic material as I get older, and the risk for Down Syndrome increases, than keeping up with the kid (I mean, I will worry, since I don't really have till until 35+). I think it'd be nice to have that option, you know? I guess it's not essential. I have time to decide all that. I'm not getting tubes tied anytime soon. And there are probably tests that can be done to insure that I don't have a genetic predisposition for trisomy 21. That's pretty rare, it's usually just an anomaly.