Page 235 of 783 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335735 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 7829

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 235

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, maybe you can give them a gift card to Jo-Ann Fabrics so they have more choices.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Well, maybe you can give them a gift card to Jo-Ann Fabrics so they have more choices.
    I can't claim credit for that. I was on some news MB around the 2008 elections and someone accused Obama of being "muslin." And it wasn't a typo because he kept reiterating it in various replies. Still cracks me up though.

Jotting it down for posterity: I feel really good right now/today. It's been kind of a slow day. The Facebook discussion ended up making me feel empowered, intelligent, and loved (for the support I got from other people). I don't know if this will last throughout the evening, since I have no idea what I'll do, but I'm glad I feel this way right now, at least. Time to go home!

Word of the day: blop, thanks to Finnegans Wake.
    Ex. A blop of cream in my tea would do me nicely.

Dammit, now I really want some chai.

Off to therapy in a few minutes. It's been several weeks since I last went! There will be a lot to catch up on.

It occurred to me this morning that I might want to take a break from this journal for a week sometime soon. I'm curious what it would feel like I stop writing here. I'd still be on the boards, reading and commenting elsewhere. I just feel like I don't really need the accountability right now for food, therapy and my blog have been a good outlet for the brain stuff, and I'm not exercising anyway (plus that would go up on Fitocracy). Maybe I'll vanish for Thanksgiving week.

Last night, I ate one of the bone-in pork chops that I made two nights ago with some broc. I had another glass of wine (poured the rest out this morning) and 4 servings of pie filling until I finally felt full. I also cooked some rice (too much water, have to remember under-measure, I ended up having to drain it). I cooked up two chicken breasts, so one is chopped up for my lunch today, along with some buttered rice. Boyfriend will probably take the other for lunch. He seems to be eating the regular food/leftovers for dinner/lunch at work, and having ramen late at night. I might talk to him this weekend about maybe getting him some frozen things that he can heat up at work, like chicken tenders or something, so he can eat something other than ramen at night, but we don't end up spending a ton by adding in a full extra meal. Or I'll just convince him that we can afford it and I'll just have to start cooking more. It's not a big deal to make multiple meals worth of food at once, I just generally don't. Of course, now it's the weekend, so I don't need to cook a lot unless I'm going to try to freeze things. I think at some point, I want to put together frozen meals that just need to be dumped in the crock pot. I might start with 4, so we have one a week, and prep them at the same time every month. If that seems to work well, I'll start prepping more. I might not try this until December, things just feel too busy right now, even if they aren't.

It's apparent to me that I'm still not eating enough. I often forget that people around here and mostly trying to lose body fat. I am not, so my maintenance-level eating will look a bit different than the daily eats I see on the board. It's kind of obnoxious, needing to eat 3x a day, or at least a certain amount every day. I feel like eating is a hassle, which is probably not a good way to feel about it.

I bought the car parts yesterday. Once they arrive, I'll talk to Boyfriend's dad again about making time to work on the car. I think we might be able to rent garage space from my sister's ex, though I don't know how much $$ he'll want for it. I really hope we can take care of the work that needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time. I also hope that we can get the car towed for free.

I emailed my tattoo artist yesterday on a whim. I picked out a sketch that she had available. It's going to be of my cat (a stylized version of her...holding a stylized mouse-phone). I'll probably wait till January (or until after the car is under my name/done) to get it done, but I'm excited. Nervous, but the same way I felt about my owl & eagle tattoo. I just don't know where I want this one to go.

I logged into my bank account this morning for the first time all month. We can afford to see Skyfall this weekend (hoping it comes out at the local theater, which is cheaper), but otherwise, I don't think I'll be spending money on anything extra. We're doing fine, though, things are on track. I'll buy Boyfriend's Christmas gift(s) later in the month, when I'm sure I have enough and/or I can see if I need to wait till next month. I owe Boyfriend some money for his car and my mom some money for my part of the phone bill, so I don't think I'll make any savings this month. That's fine.

I might ask my mom to get me a stainless steel 14-piece kitchen set for Christmas. It's $80 on BJ's website. She could use my member ID. I'm still undecided on whether we should stick with BJ's or switch to Costco. I haven't been able to get any good feedback on which is better in my area. I know Costco has some better things, like Kerrygold Butter, and almond butter, as well as grass-fed beef. It will take just as long to get to Costco as it does to BJ's, but it will be on the highway instead of through towns.

Shopping list for the weekend
    -pork roast or beef roast of some kind, for the crock pot
    -asparagus
    -white potatoes & sweet poatoes
    -coconut milk
    -pumpkin puree ($7.99 for 3 29oz cans at BJ's Wholesale)
    -bacon? (haven't been eating it lately, but it's nice to have)
    -APPLES (BECAUSE I ABSOLUTELY MUST TRY MAKING APPLESAUCE SOON BEFORE I LOSE ALL MOTIVATION)
    -butter? (have to check the freezer)
    -chicken stock ($1.99 at Whole Foods for a larger carton, for potential crock pot creations)
    -onion
    -carrots (for crock pot creation? probably not needed for a roast)
    -garlic powder
    -garlic

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I always put carrots in my roast...

I'll miss you while you take your week sabatical.

Hope the car thing works out for you. If we lived closer to each other, we'd let you use our garage and our tools for free... and I'd ask Brad to load the car on the trailer and haul it for you. Hell... Brad and his dad would probably do the work for you so you wouldn't have to worry about it. They love tinkering - hence the reason behind the race car... makes me wish you lived closer. I'd be thrilled to have you as a guest!

I submitted an order to Vitacost. Hopefully it's not too late for you to earn the rewards. It was too late for me to use my "new member $10 coupon"... it expired on the 3rd and I didn't realize it...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I like to defrost my meaty goodness and make stuff over the weekend that I can eat during the week. Last weekend took a very small pork butt, probably just 2-3 pounds, and seasoned all over with S&P. Took a bunch of garlic and sliced the cloves into little spears, then pricked the butt all over and jammed them in. Browned on all sides in bacon fat, then into a 300F oven with lid on and a scatter of rosemary beneath and on top, and one bottle of beer (used a Sam Adams Octoberfest, but white wine would work splendidly too). Low and slow for ~3 hours, until that bish is flaking. For the last 45 minutes or so, I tossed in shreds of cabbage for an impromptu kraut, it sucked in all the porkfat goodness and sweetness from the booze.

Man, that shit was tasty. In general, pork butt (actually the shoulder) is economical, delicious comfort food, and you can dial up a ton of different spice combos.

Back when I ate bread, I made a similar pork and kraut number, then whonked a pile on a piece of buttered pumpernickel, hit the mess with more butter on top, then baked it for about 20 minutes at 350F. This doesn't sound like much, but let me tell you, it's a toe-curler. If I do another pork roast, I may just cheat and buy some dark bread and go for it.

Also love chuck roasts and short ribs. Have some ribs defrosting as we speak, usually just go no-huddle and skip the recipe. Brown the fat, saute some aromatics/mirepoux, low and slow with booze and herbs, Capt. Fatty does all the work. Any root veggies (turnips, parsnips, taters, carrots) work with roasts.

Jenn, I'll let you know if I ever get to Iowa Man, I'd love for someone else to do this work for me. I think Boyfriend and his dad will do the work once we get the car and parts to a garage. Boyfriend's dad tends to take over when he knows what he's doing. I'll...take pictures? haha

FW, that pork butt is exactly what I want to make, but in the crock pot. Is there an alternative to alcohol I could use? Would water or broth be okay? I don't want to go out and buy booze just for this. I started to feel like my evening was really dull without wine this week, even though it was just 3 nights, so that's why I threw it out this morning. I tend to act like an addict about sugar and booze pretty easily.

I think I'll do my slow cooker meal on Mondays so I have one day a week where I don't have to worry about dinner at all when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    FW, that pork butt is exactly what I want to make, but in the crock pot. Is there an alternative to alcohol I could use? Would water or broth be okay? I don't want to go out and buy booze just for this. I started to feel like my evening was really dull without wine this week, even though it was just 3 nights, so that's why I threw it out this morning. I tend to act like an addict about sugar and booze pretty easily.

I think I'll do my slow cooker meal on Mondays so I have one day a week where I don't have to worry about dinner at all when I get home.
    Water would work, but chicken broth would be better. If you can brown the meat first and deglaze the pan with the broth to get the browned bits, and put it all in the crock, better still.

I know slow cookers are beloved by folks here but I rarely use mine.

Note to self: bring candy and wine if I ever meet Tasha...

That's an instant migraine, but I'd be pretty chipper and chatty!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification