Page 218 of 794 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318718 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 7934

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 218

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not that I've worn any of them, but from what you describe, the Wonder would get the most use with the least worry.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Have I mentioned how much I love your hair? Well, I love it!

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Dropping by to say hi and reading just a few posts back makes me sympathetic! Yikes, sounds dramatic on the relationship front. That certainly sounds break-up-y, but it's not? If that's just communication style (as opposed to him skirting and backing off) then yeah, plenty of work to do there. I'm sorry to hear it. Wishing you luck and for things to go smoothly...
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Thanks =P

I'm having trouble with a machine at work, but my gut is KILLING me right now. I am simultaneous ravenous (didn't eat lunch). Does it need food? Is it the eggs? I am super nauseated and probably leaving a little early (soon) so I can get home and try to eat some rice or cry about it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Naiad about boyfriend's snippiness. Brad gets that way occasionally and I chock it up to frustration and ignore it.

Money and getting by are HUGE responsibilities and SHOULD take a huge role in your life. ESPECIALLY when things are tight. But that's my take. We're strapped now too, but it's our own doing by racking up the credit card debt. Brad didn't seem to get it until recently that we can't just whip out the debit card whenever we want something. Now he's thinking about it more and considering his purchases/working overtime.

He also doesn't lift many fingers around the house... despite our discussion and agreement that he would... *sigh*
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ezeflier is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Supplements: I'm trying 2 tsp of Vitamin C every 4 hours today, because 1 3/4 yesterday didn't seem to cut it.
    Hey Wonder,

I had thought that Vit C worked to move things by being an irritant to the gut. Seems like your model of understanding might be different..

The interwebz lore I've read seems to suggest that stress can lead to an electrolyte imbalance by how the adrenals cause the kidneys to selectively flush some salts out of the blood but not others. That can lead to being short on sodium and magnesium (and maybe potassium?), which may cause some types of muscle to not want to relax - even muscles of the gut.

(I'm being deliberately imprecise in my wording because the sources I've read don't seem to be particularly authoritative, but they seem to align with some of my experience).

So, my thinking is that you may eventually get things moving with Vit C because the gut will say "Hey, I've got this stuff in me which I don't like, fine get out. Get out!!" But, it may not be fun because the underlying muscles that have to carry out the order doesn't want to relax enough to do it.

For me, what seems more productive is to try to correct any underlying imbalance. If you have an electrolyte thing going on, get that under control. I've had some luck with this - high quality cal-mag-zinc supplements.

I'm a stress case, and hence, my digestion tends toward being slow. And I drink some coffee/tea (diuretics) which seems to make that worse (Duh.. But I can't quit.. ). Dialing up the electrolytes seems to help normalize things. In the past when I've gone to the docs for digestive issues and they do a CBC blood draw, I'm almost always off the bottom of the scale for sodium. I suspect I'm also deficient in other electrolytes, but the CBC can't detect it for some reason - maybe the body doesn't have a pool of sodium to pull from like it does calcium/magnesium (from bones), so it ends up low in the serum.

Anyway, I haven't tried super-loading vitamin C, and I'm not against it, but it seems like a different approach might be worth trying?

On the other side of the coin, just relax. That would help... Right? Ha. Yeah, I can't do it either. There's always one more thing to analyze, one more thing to try.

Good luck!

Matt-

Interesting theory. The Vitamin C I'm taking has about 1/2 the RDA for magnesium and calcium per teaspoon, so I'm technically getting more of those that I need per day (but no zinc). I'm scared to take this much of anything. Perhaps I should just stop... I'm uncomfortable either way. Cal-mag-zinc is something to try... but I'm doubtful that's the initial issue, maybe just a side effect of the C, at this point.

Just over a week till my appointment. Hopefully I can make it okay till then.

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    It seems like the Merrell Barefoot Pace Glove might be the best compromise for year-round wear. If you're toes feel cramped you can try some Injinji socks along with them (toe socks).

I remember having toe socks as a kid. They weren't very comfortable or warm, but I'm sure there are improved styles and construction now

I had a very embarrassing er....bowel episode this morning, shall we say. It made me lose my appetite and very afraid to go to work. It's so frustrating that I'll feel pretty okay mentally, but then something extraordinary will happen and it feels like all of my reserves are completely sapped. This would probably not be happening if I wasn't having these gut issues. I'm totally exhausted now, mentally and physically.

The only correlation I could figure out with yesterday's gut discomfort is that I took my probiotic in the morning. I'm only supposed to take it three times a week. On those days, I usually have a lot more gas, but not as nausea or pain inducing as yesterday. That definitely makes me feel like this all has to do with poor gut bacteria, but I don't know if it's an overgrowth or if there's not enough. I'm afraid that something like an endoscopy will be in my future. It could also be egg intolerance. Unfortunately, that's all I have to eat today.

I was woken up a few times again last night by restless Boyfriend. Hopefully a few nights of him sleeping poorly and me waking him up at 9AM will get him on a good schedule (the wake-up time is at his request, for the new job starting in just over 2 weeks). I also hope I can impress on him the importance of eating more substantial meals during the day so he doesn't have midnight ramen.

I'm not taking any Vitamin C today. Maybe not tomorrow either. I'm hoping that giving my gut a break for a couple of days (or longer) might let it return to semi-normal functionality, if it's so inclined. I feel really desperate.

After getting jittery from Tyrosine yesterday, I'm trying DLPA today. I don't know how helpful it will be in my current state.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Regarding the cal-mag-zinc supplements... my GI doc suggested magnesium for motility and noted that calcium can actually have the opposite effect.

Probiotics are odd. From what I've been hearing on Chris Kresser's podcast, it sounds like probiotics don't even have to be alive to help some people -- just the presence of the detectable bug remains in your gut is enough to make your gut more mobile. Not sure how to interpret that in terms of probiotics for you, though.

My understanding is that the probiotic capsules, even though they have zillions of bacteria, are not a significant addition compared to what's already living in there. They're just meant to keep you colonized with those strains in case you lose one. So I don't think the probiotic itself could actually encourage an overgrowth... rather, maybe it's something about how you're reacting to the probiotic, or if it is overgrowing, it's overgrowing for some other reason.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."