Page 213 of 762 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313713 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 7617

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 213

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Sprouts and walnuts sound awesome, but I know I'll eat the hell out of those walnuts and I guess I shouldn't be eating nuts right now. Phooey. Anyway, I'll keep it simple, since I'm lazy, and that's usually the cheaper route, and let you all know how it comes out. Whenever I get around to this.

I have $5 in my wallet. Wonder if I could get them for less than that at the farmer's market (my town's is on Wednesdays).

Ah yes, broiling. My oven has the broiler below the main oven, in a separate compartment. It has its own drip pan thingy and you can't adjust heights or anything. You also can barely open the door all the way because of the handle, and the floor being right there. The whole thing should really be up on blocks or something. All in all, I avoid broiling because it's really easy to burn stuff in there and it's a huge hassle to clean the pan yada yada yada
    august_0064%255B3%255D.jpg (image)
    From when I made yogurt.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yeah, walnuts are a nice addition, but sprouts solo are dandy. They should be cheaper at a FM, when I bought them last fall they were just a couple of bucks for the whole shebang, compared to $5 for a whole plant at the store. They're amazingly resilient to a wide range of temps, so I will go with anywhere from 350-400 depending on how long the rest of dinner will take.

Also, try just separating the sprouts into individual leaves, toss with olive oil, S&P, and roast until crunchy - variation on kale chips. The loose leaves that flake off when I roast halves, can't keep Mrs. F.'s greedy mitts off them, as soon as they come out of the oven she's hovering.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I love this cat. It's really soothing to be feeling crappy and have her come over to bump heads with me or curl up next to me.
    Kitties are great for lightnening moods.

I asked Boyfriend to ask his dad about his Mustang again (dad's looking to get rid of it). Need to understand what work and $ is needed to get it working, but it could be the answer to my Winter transportation stress. I don't know what I'd do with it in the Spring though, if I rode my scooter (getting 70-80mpg is really awesome, yo). Anyway, I'll post more when I find out more. It could probably be ready pretty quickly, if not much money is needed up front. And with Boyfriend's temp job, I could afford insurance since I wouldn't have to pay him for his car. Only concern is sales tax.
    This is what we did when we bought a camper from family. We said we paid $75 for it b/c it's in disrepair. Our taxes were like $8 for the year.

A mustang will not be a very good car for your climate and road conditions in the winter. They are rear-wheel drive cars and don't handle well. And insurance is rather high on them b/c of the 'sport' category.

I'm glad you're feeling better. Sorry for being absent the last week or so and missing all of this. I hope you continue to feel better soon.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

It's from 1985, so insurance would be fairly low. You're probably right about the handling, but it would still be safer than the scooter. Boyfriend hasn't asked about the work & $ yet. It wasn't clear from last time we talked bout it if would do everything for us and give it to us, or if we'd need to pay for parts, or if we'd need to pitch in on work, or whatever combination of the above.

We may be getting oil tomorrow. Prices suck right now, but they keep going up, I guess, so what can ya do.

Damn, Vitacost is having awesome sales right now on a tea I wanted to try (and my favorite chai). I need to stock up on canned fish again, too. I can attribute those expenses to groceries and supplements, but I'm trying to make sure I don't need anything else before I place the order. I'll wait till I'm at home so I can see how much 5-HTP I have. Oh right, and I need my multi.

Ramblings, Ravings and Rants.: General mood update

Getting oil today! Excited/nervous. I still haven't gone to get the window wrap tape from my parents so I can seal the windows. Gotta do it tonight! I should also go stock up on ramen for Boyfriend, but that and bacon are the only things I'd be getting at BJ's so I kind of really don't want to. I am also not sure what the budget will allow until I get paid tomorrow (I'm not sure if I'm being charged for oil today or being left a bill).

I showed Boyfriend this video a couple of days ago and he said, "Now I really want to watch the Harry Potter movies. ALL of them." So, they were obtained, and we watched the first one last night. It was nice to cuddle and comment over it. It's been several years since I watched the earlier films (before college? my brother used to watch them, but I don't remember how old he was). I had forgotten how adorable the early films are (and really well suited to 3D, funnily enough, despite having been filmed before that was a thing). I ended up not having any cocoa or rice pudding last night because of the movie (didn't want to eat after 8:30), but I did nibble on some honey straight from the jar. Tsk tsk. I started re-reading The Mood Cure and it also reminded me that I might be trying to make up for nutritional deficiencies by snacking on carbs/sweets at night. But I'm probably also just not eating enough during the day.

I think my skin is still adjusting to the weather changes. My face has been pretty oily lately, acne is coming and going. It could be the nighttime sweets, making the flare-ups occur. If I can increase food during the day and avoid the sweets at night (or reduce them, but I don't think I can manage reduction right now; if it's there, I want to eat it all, and I hate making tiny portions), I can keep on eye on whether that has an impact. My hair has also been really strange lately, but I let the hairdresser wash and condition it last weekend when I got it trimmed, with sulfate-free product. There was a lot of grime on my scalp earlier this week, but I think I managed to brush or scrub it all out. Now I'm just focusing on brushing it every night and before I shower in the morning, and wondering how long I can get away with no shampoo at all. It's feeling very well conditioned, at least. The oiliness is what stops me from considering getting bangs again, but I did like how they looked (when they behaved and I didn't have helmet hair).

I'm at a loss with what to do about my stupid turned leg. My right leg/hip has been out of alignment for most of my life. I've taken to sleeping on my back, not crossing my legs when seated, and even trying to consciously hold my leg/foot straight when I walk (REALLY difficult, I trip a lot and feel like I'm walking crooked). Sometimes my leg gets sore in various places as a result, but it never seems to straighten out, or stay straightened out after a chiropractic appointment. It's also difficult to purposely walk with my leg aligned "properly" because my foot isn't used to that kind of distribution, so it feels really different on that side. Walking toe-first is very slow in this manner (and without decent minimalist shoes, I can't feel the ground and my foot placement well enough), so I'm starting to use a heel-strike while I'm walking around the office, because I feel like I can control the orientation a bit better. Doing kettlebell swings with my foot held straight is kind of difficult, but I think it helps reinforce the position because I felt some extra soreness on that side this morning.

I took 200mg of 5-HTP last night, half at dinner and half before bed. I didn't get to bed until 10:40ish last night. I was pretty tired when I woke up this morning, though I felt like I slept well. Either I need to get to bed by 10, like I did the other night (which means 8.5 hrs in bed), or the dose is too high. I'll shoot for a 10PM bedtime tonight. I noticed a distinct lack of anxiety this morning when I was riding to work and the scooter was slower than usual (it stalled while I let it warm up so it didn't really warm up). I usually have a lot of anxiety on a few particular spots on my route, when the scooter goes fairly slowly up an incline after a stop, but I didn't really feel it today. I felt kind of confused without it, like maybe it's not totally gone, but the memory of it is really strong. I also took Tyrosine this morning, so I don't know if it was the 5-HTP last night or the Tyrosine that helped, but I've got plenty of Tyrosine so I'm just going to keep taking both for now.

I haven't placed any orders for supplements or tea (specifically Pau D'Arco) yet, waiting for pay day, then I'll reassess. I should probably snag some more 5-HTP since I can' tell how much is left in this bottle. Technically, at 4 capsules everyday, it's only a 30 day supply (120 capsules), so I should probably get another. I could get a higher dose per capsule, but I like having more control over the dose with each capsule at 50mg.

My Vitamin C powder did not arrive yesterday (sat in a local post office all day, WTH!), but I should have it today. I'm still taking the Ester-C, 2,000mg every 4 hrs today. TMI: I feel a lot of pressure, have had a little gas, but no movement. I'm trying not to force anything, as that has been notoriously bad for my overall pelvic-area muscles in the past.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    No anxiety is good. Even if running with it is out of the question, at least keep walking.
    I got nothing on the leg. 'Net research?
    Acquired movies are good, especially on a budget. You can always buy them later if they're good enough. (Iron Skies wasn't.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I think I saw that, yeah, definitely not good. I hope to buy the whole set of HP films on Blu-ray eventually. My parents have the DVDs, but we wanted them ASAP and I obviously haven't been good about going up there this week. My mom picked up some canning stuff from Baba for me last weekend and I still haven't gone to see what she got. It's probably too late for apple picking now (I really wanted McIntosh), but I guess I can always get stuff at the store. If I make my own sauce, it's still awesome, even if they don't end up being local apples.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Re: the leg
    A really great chiropractor would be teaching you exercises to help straighten that out. Not knocking your chiro, he/she may just not have the therapy training. Often a turn out has a lot to do with your feet and the strength of your foot structure. I've had bad turnout and major hip problems most of my life. Regular adjustments, barefooting for 6+ years, and a myriad of other things, have helped but have not fixed. Then my dad attended a therapeutic rehab symposium and taught me some exercises that are really helping. Thing is, they are for the arches and tibialus antigus (runs along the front of the shin to the inside of the foot and holds the arch up), and they are helping my hip issues. Just some thoughts. If you want I can send you a PM with details on the exercises- they are pretty simple.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

My chiro was a sports therapist I think. He's given me some stretches to do for the leg, but I will ask about exercises the next time I go in (probably in a couple of weeks). My right side is always pretty tight from this turnout.

I'd be interested in the exercises! I realized that the feeling in my foot when I try to keep it straight when walking is kind of like it's cramped, like I can't completely feel it. Minimalist shoes would really help, I think, as it's much better when I can feel my foot stretch out when I'm walking. Making moccasins would probably be the easiest/cheapest way to accomplish this right now. Any of Merrell's barefoot shoes are collecting dust on my wishlist though. Someday, someday... They even have boots now! maaannnn

ezeflier is offline Member

Ah yes, broiling. My oven has the broiler below the main oven, in a separate compartment. It has its own drip pan thingy and you can't adjust heights or anything. You also can barely open the door all the way because of the handle, and the floor being right there. The whole thing should really be up on blocks or something. All in all, I avoid broiling because it's really easy to burn stuff in there and it's a huge hassle to clean the pan yada yada yada
    august_0064%255B3%255D.jpg (image)
    From when I made yogurt.
    Many/most/all ovens/ranges come with leveling pads on the bottom. They're threaded feet which can be used to make the unit level or conform to an uneven floor, or to raise/lower the whole unit. If they aren't tight in the retracted direction you can probably adjust them without any tools - just lift a corner of the oven and spin the foot out... I wouldn't adjust them so high that the top of the range sits dramatically above the adjacent counter tops, but you might be able to make the broiler a bit more accessible. You'll want to adjust all four - otherwise your souffles won't be level..

Use a timer while broiling.

Soak the broiler pan after cooking in it. Scrape with a spatula after a little while. Soak again.

Or cover the broiler pan with a layer of aluminum foil.

Cheers,

Matt-