Page 199 of 762 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299699 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 7612

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 199

Primal Fuel
    What about hand-holding cottonseed oil?
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    What about hand-holding cottonseed oil?
    Not even "standing in the next county over" cottonseed oil.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    reminders & reverberations | Intent vs Impact
    I never know how to approach situations when the word "retarded" is used. Sometimes, I just drop the bomb: "My brother has Down Syndrome". People get real awkward real fast, and try to back track. I smile, it's okay, really, and move the conversation along. If we chat often enough, it usually never happens again. But online? Usually, I don't say anything, but in some tighter-knit communities, I've brought it up. I was once told, "Really, NLW? I thought you were one of the cool kids." Sorry that giving a shit about people being rude about my brother isn't cool, dude. Around here, things are not so tight-knit except amongst some of the journallers (and ASDF crew, may it rest in peace). Sometimes, I'm just mad or frustrated, otherwise not feeling OK, and I don't want to let it slide, but I don't know what to say. On the one hand: it's the internet, so I could be mean with no sweat off my back. On the other hand: I am not a mean person and being mean on the internet is cowardly.

I mentioned to Boyfriend last night that he seems so much more snuggly lately, but he said I'm the one who has become more snuggly! Oh. I guess he's right. He's always been inviting me in for cuddles, and I just didn't feel like it. But he has still been much more affectionate lately. It's a bit worrying that I wasn't able to see my own moods until he clarified that for me. I'm overall feeling much better when on the Tryptophan, and it makes me wonder if I should have been on it before. Should? Well, I probably would have felt better, but it's only ever up to me. I'm glad to be feeling better. I'm still not really worried about the potential of staying on Tryptophan for a while. My body is stressed and I need to take care of it.

This song has been stuck in my head lately. It's not really new, but I hadn't heard it until recently, on the radio. It's nice to find new-to-me music out of the blue.

I'm at about $250 for groceries for the month, which isn't bad. A bit higher than previous months, but I was making yogurt, bought extra stuff, and didn't always shop at BJ's Wholesale. Unfortunately, I think I need to go again this week (should go tonight) to stock up on meat (more chicken, I think) and frozen veg. I will actually have a little bit of money left over at the end of the money, but only because I asked Boyfriend to wait till after Friday to deposit my check to him (for car insurance/payment). If I spend no more than $58 at the grocery store, I'll have saved nothing for the month, but that's better than going in the red.

I'm thinking a little about how to reconsider my spending and how to treat myself without feeling like I'm too restricted or over-spending. Working on a project would probably help, because it's productive, but fun. I could buy the jars I'm going to decorate for Boyfriend (hardware store has some nice glass jars with rubber seals, should be fairly cheap and I can get a few different sizes). I want to make robot designs on them using a glass etching compound and stencils (I'll need to get contact paper too). I might have to do this project at my parents' house on weekends, so I can hide it from Boyfriend till Christmas. I need to buy myself some warm gloves for riding my scooter, might do that after I get paid on Friday, as my fingers are already pretty cold in the mid-40F weather we've been experiencing in the mornings. Neither of those things are treats for me, though. I guess, if I can't get up to my grandma's, I could buy those canning supplies, but that's still not something "fun" (well, kinda). Candles or a book would be fun. Or we could just go see some movies and I could reserve my money for Halloween.

Boyfriend stayed up late to play MOP (Mists of Pandaria), didn't get to talk to him about it since he stumbled to bed at 6:10AM ("When does your alarm go off?" "6:30" "In 20 minutes, then"). He only said there was some issue with the first quest. It's going to be hard to get myself off to the grocery store tonight when I've got new games to play! Borderlands 2 is MUCH harder than the first, I find I can only tolerate it for up to an hour at a time. It's pretty intense.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 09-25-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Re: "retarded"- That is one of a handful of terms that will instantly piss me off. It's not that I have it in close family; it's just how unthoughtful it makes the asshat seem. I don't give two flying fucks if you meant it like that, that's how you said it. In person, I tend to give them the "not cool, dude" glare and say "at least the mentally challenged don't think it's awesome to be a douche," and move on. Online, I tend to leave it alone, or PM the person with "dude, not cool."
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I think the word needs to be redefined. It's not cool for it to refer to a person with a mental handicap. For those with mental handicap, mental handicap should be the term (or one similar).

I feel it is less offensive to refer to a phone or an act as retarded rather than referring to a person as retarded. People are not retarded - they are mentally or physically disabled. Just my take on it.

That being said, my neighbor falls in the autism spectrum, you have a brother who has Down's, I have a cousin who's daughter has Down's. I am friends with all on Facebook (or here) and have become more congnizant to my use of the word (read: no longer use it) but there are certainly times where "this phone is stupid" just doesn't suffice and I wish to beat hell I could use other terminology to better express my feelings. Sometimes fucking stupid works, but not always. But, out of respect for people who have disabled family members, I restrain myself.

I don't feel the word is bad when referring to inanimate objects b/c they don't have feelings, but definitely it is wrong to use it to refer to people, whether disabled or not. Sadly, just like anything else, though, we have to be aware of our audience. But, if it makes any difference to you, I don't use the word anymore, just to be safe.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Hehe, when people call a "thing" retarded, I usually say, "I didn't think [that thing] was capable of being retarded." I don't find it offensive because it doesn't really make sense

In the late '90s and early 00's especially, I saw the use of "retarded" in place of "stupid" flare up a lot. Hearing it all around me all the time, it became difficult to even stop myself from saying it! Words like this are really loaded with cultural and social connotations, it can be hard to let them go once they're habit or the impact of them is established (calling something retarded feeling like more of a release of something frustrating than any other word). When I feel like only something offensive will do to express myself, I try to find a non-verbal way to release or calm down before expressing myself.

I also have fun coming up with better expressions, especially ones that sound classier. Moronic, foolish, dense, ludicrous, senseless, twit, boob, are all good ones If it makes you laugh, it has the desired effect.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Boob is classy??? huh. learned something new today! lol

What about fucktard? Are you ok with fucktard?? just kidding...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Crap, I've used that one! *calls self hypocrite*
    My usual variety include: fuckwad, shithead, ijit, brainiac, bitchmonkey, impspawn, sweetheart, snowflake, moron, asshat, assclown, twat, farking [any of the above], farking svitschkata [any of the above] (switschkata comes from a language I made up as a kid, it means "king/ queen of the land of the ijits and morons") and other words that get my meaning across.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Haha, well, maybe not classy. But I imagine someone with an upper-class British accent slapping someone with a white dress glove . Somehow that's funnier than just the word.

I remembered again that I still really want to get my eyebrow pierced. That would be a pricier, but really awesome, treat to myself. I think I'd rather try to set a little more money aside so I can worry less about oil this winter. I'm going to arrange to have our tank filled probably by mid-October, since we were definitely using the heat by Halloween last year and it's been chilly. We can live without it, and I will definitely seal the windows before we turn on the heat, but I hate being uncomfortably cold. I am much more inclined to stay in the shower for a while on these kinds of mornings (it's already bask-in-the-hot-water temperatures), so having the heat kick on a bit before I get up would be a good idea. Otherwise, I suppose I could set up the space heater in the bathroom =P

Quercetin should arrive today. Fingers crossed that it helps with allergies. I think they're actually starting to lessen, but a mild winter will require that I take them anyway.

TMI update: I don't know how long it will take for my special Potent C Guard (powder Vitamin C recommended by doctor) to arrive, estimate is up to October 3 now, so I'm stuck with this extended release tablets. I'm taking them 3-4 times a day (roughly every 4 hours) and they are helping me go, but I'm not consistent in ease, texture, or timing. Hopefully, the C Guard will work better than these. I'm also finding that as it cools, I need to hydrate a bit more. My lips have been drying out the past couple of days, which hasn't happened since last Winter, I think. I think the grapefruit seed extract is helping the itch, it was less this morning, and that's the only time I'm noticing it. Hopefully should be able to stop taking it by the end of the week. No sign of shark week, I think it's officially late, but I'm waiting till Sunday for a test, because my usual schedule was on a Saturday (I can't remember when the mid-cycle one started, but it wasn't a Saturday).

Boyfriend has some really good insults that he uses online. He likes to just tell people they're "being mean" because it makes them feel like right jerks. I can't think of his favorites right now, but they're very creative.