Page 187 of 765 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287687 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 7650

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 187

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trying to find a good rebuttal article/link to someone sending me this in response to me posting about Fiber Menace on Facebook (can't read the whole article). Or I could be mean and say, "Which one of us is fat?" but this isn't about fat, this is about heart health, and I like this person.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I posted this (found it as a reference in Fiber Menace)
    and said this
    "These studies and others illustrate the complexity of measuring the independent impact of fiber on lipids and/or mortality rates within the limitations of available diet assessment methodology, disparate food composition data, and the difficulty of controlling confounding factors.27" In short, you shouldn't trust results from those studies because they aren't reliable. While saying "you should eat these fibers and they are good for you", they are simultaneously saying "we don't really know this for sure."
    I am tired and grumpy. I've snapped at a couple of people at work (had an opportunity to apologize to one, the other didn't seem to notice). It feels better to admit this, like I can then calm down a bit and move on.

http://theprimalparent.com/2011/08/1...ng-endorphins/ This reminded me that I shouldn't get complacent about my mental health. The past couple weeks of not-awesome moods could be a sign of an issue. DLPA is a supplement I haven't tried, but am thinking might be good to add to the list.

I posted this (found it as a reference in Fiber Menace)
    and said this
    "These studies and others illustrate the complexity of measuring the independent impact of fiber on lipids and/or mortality rates within the limitations of available diet assessment methodology, disparate food composition data, and the difficulty of controlling confounding factors.27" In short, you shouldn't trust results from those studies because they aren't reliable. While saying "you should eat these fibers and they are good for you", they are simultaneously saying "we don't really know this for sure."
    I am tired and grumpy. I've snapped at a couple of people at work (had an opportunity to apologize to one, the other didn't seem to notice). It feels better to admit this, like I can then calm down a bit and move on.

http://theprimalparent.com/2011/08/1...ng-endorphins/ This reminded me that I shouldn't get complacent about my mental health. The past couple weeks of not-awesome moods could be a sign of an issue. DLPA is a supplement I haven't tried, but am thinking might be good to add to the list.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    After yesterday's disabling mood swing, I almost picked up some 5-HTP... I decided to wait because the supplements I'd taken earlier in the day as part of my daily ritual were starting to kick in and do their thing and worked very well to elevate my mood. Do you recommend it for acute anxiety/depressive episodes over say Ativan/lorazepam? Yesterday I would have taken a 1 mg lorazepam in a heartbeat had I possessed any at the time...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I've never used Ativan or lorazepam so I can't say. GABA Calm works for me for acute anxiety episodes. If it's anything less than that (not THAT bad), I end up feeling numb, but either way, I end up exhausted, but functional.

Staying home today. Feeling defeated. Took a Tryptophan, which took the depressive edge off. May try another. Feels like a nap kind of day. Wish I had more tea!

I'm not sure what I'm doing with this month food-wise anymore. Two nights ago, I cheated a bit and had some nachos at dinner. I had cheese on my salad, and bought some cheese (Applegate) to go with some lunch meat (turkey-provolone roll-ups ftw) for this week and next. Part of me feels that allowing for one cheat day might be easier for my brain right now, but I know I would want my cheats to be either not very primal (which is NOT AN OPTION), or too much sugar (which is a worrying option). For example, grain-free chocolate chip cookies would be da bomb, but requires extra expenses to get decent chocolate chips (I'm trying to be more of a purist about soy-free chocolate, don't know if it'll ultimately make a difference for me) and almond flour (I would just use the sugar we have in the house, but then I feel guilty for using the sugar when I ask Boyfriend to buy his cookie-making stuff on his own...). So that would also mean buying separate sugar (but does it REALLY matter if it's Domino sugar or coconut/organic cane?). Basically, I'm afraid that allowing a cheat day will be detrimental to my rather delicate (at the moment) gut health, but I think it would be easier for my stress levels.

This is the recipe I want to try. I know, I know, baked nut flours are bad and all, but it's just...COOKIES. The other option is to buy gluten-free cookies/mixes, but making my own means I can be more particular about flours (coconut/almond instead of rice flour/tapiocha blends), which I think is a better idea, even if it ends up being more expensive (haven't done the calculations though).

I'm waiting till I get further into Fiber Menace before I purposely start reintroducing fruit. I'm thinking my issue at this point is dysbacteriosis. I think my digestion was actually just fine prior to the antibiotics, maybe could've used some improvements, but not nearly as bad as it has been for the past couple of weeks. I have been highlighting the crap out of the book (digital version), lots of stuff that I want to remember for reference or have ready to share with others. I just found a site that has some ideas on the fruit end of things: "The best fruits to eat are berries-all kinds. Grapefruit, lemons, kiwis, and Granny Smith Apples should also be included." I don't like grapefruit plain, but I haven't had any in a long time... guess I should learn to like kiwis (haven't had them much). So glad it's apple season! I'm wondering if I should have stool sampling done to see how my gut health really is, but I don't want to spend more money on doctors this year. Yes, I'm being stubborn.

I think I effectively staved off a cold yesterday. I continued my usual regimen, which includes Vitamin C and grapefruit seed extract in the morning and evening, before food, and also took a few teaspoons of raw local honey with cinnamon mixed in (really tasty). It alleviated some of the pressure in my head. Could just be allergies though. My throat has been hurting on and off. If it's allergies, I need to find another way to deal with it. Guzzling honey is nice and all, but I'm worried how it will impact my gut recovery.

Overall mood/brain status has been okay. I just learned yesterday that I was taking a much reduced dose of L-Tryptophan before, since 3 capsules = 500mg. I took two capsules yesterday, a few hours apart, and that seemed to recover me pretty well. I still feel kind of "fragile", but I was able to talk myself down from freaking out about returning to work this morning, so I must be doing much better.

In other news, I'm out of tea.

Leg cramp: I had a cramp in my leg last week that continued into this week. Stretching and everything didn't seem to help. I cut back on how much water I was drinking after reading in Fiber Menace that people tend to drink too much water and flush the potassium out. Cramp improved significantly. BTW, did you know it's ~8 cups of water intake, not glasses of water? Account for your food and cut back on the drinking! Then I did a little bit of a kettlebell workout video (had to stop because my right leg was not happy with it, not sure if I'm aggravating a misalignment or helping it, but I see the chrio tomorrow) this morning because I got up early, and now the cramp is back. I will mention the cramp to the chiro (maybe the constipation too...). I want to do the rest of the kettlebell workout, but I'm afraid of aggravating whatever is going on with my right side.

Knee pain: probably an inflammatory response to sugar. I had a honey-binge last night to get rid of some stuffiness in my head (but then kept eating it). It's almost gone, then I won't be buying more. Le sigh. NEED BETTER ALLERGY MANAGEMENT. My knee doesn't bother me when I do kettlebell swings or anything, only on stairs.

Diet: I was rather disappointed at the end of Fiber Menace because he actually doesn't tell you what to eat or what not to eat. I was hoping for a list, to be honest. That was one of the things that made me feel really lost when I first went Primal. He basically says, "Pick your favorite low-fiber/low-carb diet and make it work for you!" Urgh. He eats a very Japanese-style diet, lots of white rice (it's very low fiber), so I can't really use him as a guide. He also says to keep your macro-nutrients separate in meals to ease digestion. I can totally do all-protein meals, but that would mean basically eating one huge meal a day, since eating just veggies later on would not work for me. So screw that. The SCD might work for me, as I believe it is very low in fiber. I should probably buy the book to see how the diet progresses, since the site only has the intro diet, which like two meal options.

I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online about low-fiber diets too. Some say canned/cooked squash is okay for low-fiber. That means I can probably eat pumpkin..but not just yet. First, I need to get my digestive system working decently. Apparently, raw fruit is iffy. I'm interesting in making applesauce, but I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be. I should visit my grandmother and have her show me. I should probably be eating less broccoli since it's very fibrous.

BTW, I finished my yogurt this morning. MMMPH SO GOOD. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll trek out for some more milk tonight and start another batch. I wonder if Whole Foods carries kefir grains (probably not, but it doesn't appear to take long to make, so that would be pretty convenient).

Supplements: I'm not taking Magnesium Citrate anymore. It's not doing anything for my digestion, and I think it may be one of the reasons I've been waking up in the middle of the night. I didn't take any last night and slept fine (aside from going to bed late, reading Gay Panda's Toys), and woke up pretty easily too. I'm still trying to figure out when are the best times to take everything (probiotics, mainly). I think I'm going to have to suck it up and use Epsom salts (they taste so bad, yo) to get things moving, for a couple of days. Maybe that will help.

Therapy today. Not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not.

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    I don't suffer from allergies but Ive a friend who takes bee pollen (bought at the farmers market from local raised bees) for allergies, he says it works really well for him (he just swollows a dry teaspoon full with a drink of water). I drink apple cider vinegar (2 teaspoons in 8 oz of water 2X day) and have heard that it is supposed to help with allergies as well, as I said I dont suffer from allergies but have not had so much as a sniffle of a cold or any such illness sense starting with the vinegar. Anyway, hope you feel better!
    I treat my body like a temple.....to nourish the Goddess who lives inside

Raw local honey helps with my allergies, but the effects only last a few hours. Taking in that much sugar really messes with my head/stomach! Pollen would probably be best, but I'm not sure if I can find any locally. I'll look around.

I want to make applesauce. Thought it would be fun to pick my own, but admission to orchards is apparently pretty pricey, then you have to pay for what you pick! Maybe I'll just visit the local farm and see if they have some bags from local orchards. My mom said she'd be interesting in picking with me, but I wonder if she might help with the sauce too.

I've found some easy recipes for no-sugar-added applesauce, looks like you just need sweeter apples. I'm not sure if I want to can it, or just make some batches for eating immediately/within a few days. Canning requires lots of boiling and to sterilize. I don't know if I want to invest in the special tools so I can sterilize everything and handle the jars properly, but it would be really cool to give people applesauce as a gift! My grandmother might still have a bunch of her old canning stuff, I should call and ask.