Not-so-brief Sunday check-in:
- Reading gutsense.org, what an amazing resource. The book is definitely on my (huge) wishlist. Lots of helpful information about why the common constipation remedies didn't work for me. Vitamin C (and time) may be the answer. Check it out if you want to know more than you ever thought you did about intestinal health/flora. I'm finding it really interesting. Fuck you, fiber!
- Trying not to overhydrate, as per gutsense's suggestions. No exercise today, as my abdominal/pelvic floor muscles are fairly worn out. Definitely affecting my urgency, which is no fun.
- Putting together a wishlist for Vitacost.com for next month. So far, Vitamin C is the only thing on there. Was surprised to realize that the reason Quercetin works for allergies is that it's a bioflavonoid, coming from citrus fruits...sources of Vitamin C. Maybe it'll help me out this Fall, as ragweed season has started and I'm pretty allergic. The allergy doc recommended trying high doses of Vitamin C for allergies earlier in the year, but I never did.
- I've been cutting up whole garlic cloves and eating them before food for the past couple of days. Not sure if it's helping, but I figure it can't hurt! Garlic has pre-biotics and anti-fungal properties. I'll only continue that until I run out, which will probably be a week or longer. I'm not smelling garlic-y as far as I can tell, and Boyfriend hasn't mentioned anything. I'm also taking an Acidophilus capsule mid-meal, hoping that's a good combo, but frankly, I'm winging it!
- I tried seasoning my larger cast iron yesterday. Epic fail. I've read tons of guides and tried a few methods, but I don't think I stripped it enough (washed it long enough) initially, so it just has shiny black specks all over it. The color is better overall, but stuff it still sticking a lot. The pan is also warped, so I'm wondering how much effort it is worth. My grandma has a cast iron dutch oven that I can have, and I definitely will take it, but I want to refine my seasoning skills first. I also don't think I'd use it much right now. I suppose I could make any kind of food in it, it would help with splatter, that's for sure!
- The budgeting is basically a bust this month. Doctors and supplements ate up my extra income, which is frustrating. I'm kind of saying "fuck it" to the last $50 I would have saved to get good quality eggs, milk for yogurt, and anything I need to get me healthy. Really grateful my mom didn't ask me to pay for my portion of the phone bill this month (I've researched, and it would be more expensive to go on my own plan, or one with Boyfriend, unless I gave up the smartphone).
Yeast infection is still slowly clearing up. Everyday, I wake up and it feels a little better, but feels itchy on and off during the day. The garlic does not seem to have as much of an effect is it did initially, but I'm going to wait a full week before I try something else. I caved and bought Grapefruit seed extract pills at Whole Foods, so that and Magnesium Citrate have been added to my regimen. I finally had a bowel movement this morning, after starting to feel like I might have one last night. It was rough, quite the strain. Had another recently, actually feel pretty cleared out now, and much better overall. Doesn't seem like enough mass for 5 days, but I'll take it!
</end TMI update>
Wondering if I should just go ahead and buy some Vitamin C at the store so I can start on that immediately. It's hard to "wait and see" when things have been so unpleasant lately. The first doses should apparently be taken at home, as it may cause diarrhea, and it can take a few doses (1/2 hr at a time) to find the right dose to start at I'm feeling pretty run down today, probably dehydration and such from the straining, so no biking, though I kind of want to. I had some honey and blackstrap molasses in my tea to get some minerals in me, but all I really want to eat is yogurt. I have been eating normally, but I'm kind of nervous about eating any fiber right now, and am considering a 24-hr liquid diet (something gutsense suggested, but the book probably has more information) sometime soon. Coconut milk/yogurt smoothies with eggs and whey protein powder sound pretty awesome to me, though I'm not sure how filling I'd find them.
Full yogurt update tomorrow, when I see how a full 24 hours of refrigeration affects my first batch. Maybe some pictures in a blog post, too! I'm hoping this batch will last me the full week so I can make more next week, but I realized that if I start as soon as I get home during the week, I can have it incubate overnight. Wondering how I'll manage in the winter time... well, I guess the crock pot could be left in any room (kitchen has no heat source).