Page 149 of 798 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249649 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 7971

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 149

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... the doc didn't write up anything.
    It's a canned form letter that is standard to send out to every person who has any numbers that don't jive with the standard set of "normal" that is used as comparison... which is based almost exclusively on research on MEN btw.

You'd think they's at least have a different set of numbers for men and women since there are some pretty significant differences in how cholesterol etc affects each gender available in research at this point. But no... "One size fits all".
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Loose weight??? I mean seriously, if you lost more than 5-10lbs, you'd have them after you for being anorexic or something! I would add in my reply that if that's the kind of advice she gives someone at your weight/body comp that you would take any other advice with the same filter on. Keep workin it cause what you are doing is working!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    It probably is just generic information they give everyone regardless of their results. Probably everyone, even someone with a cholesterol of 100 (if that's possible) is given that info about losing weight.

Doctors tick me off in that regard.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    The funny thing is, first she had some specific comments about my results (hence my # responses), THEN she had her canned cholesterol primer (she even introduced it, "here's some nighttime reading for you!"). Aw well, silly CW doctors.

Ramblings, Ravings and Rants.: Quick weekend away: Maine
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Sleepy. Didn't sleep well. Meant to take Tryptophan, felt like I needed it, but forgot. To coffee, or not to coffee? Wish there was a Starbucks close by, I'd use my gift card for something delicious and caffeinated, but I really should not have the sugar.

No sugar yesterday. Grocery shopping tonight. Need meat (incl. bacon, I know, how could we run out?), sweet potatoes, reg. potatoes, and want yogurt & milk.

Boyfriend dropped off some applications at Bertuccis for a cook job. Talked to a supervisor at one, they said they'd call when they have openings in 2-3 weeks. More waiting. He's going to apply at Starbucks, I just hope they are hiring nearby. I know they do periodic scheduled training sessions with multiple applicants so even if they are hiring, he'd probably still have to wait for an available session. I spoke with him about Nightmare-fight, feel more comfortable about it now. I told him that I might need to talk it out a bit more with him, he asked if I could do it in sessions so he does not feel overwhelmed by guilt over the way he acted/what he said. I feel confident that he understands how I am feeling now, which is what I wanted. I feel like I understand better his choice to just stop drinking for now (he said at least 4-5 months, I'm happy not to think about it again for that long!). He at least recognizes that his head is not in the right space to try and tackle any repressed feelings/experiences.

Some photos for y'all from Maine

Farm fresh eggs from 6 miles down the road. I really need a mini-whisk like that, so perfect for mixing up eggs.

scrambled! And some organic local strawberries in the background (which I consumed last night)

40+ yr old seasoned skillet. So beautiful. My small skillet is getting there, big one needs another seasoning session as it's struggling to keep that lovely black glaze. First time I've used cast iron on electric in many years (used to at my parents' house in high school, for grilled cheese sandwiches, but I don't remember my technique then) and I actually found it somewhat easier than gas.

I read an article recently about washing dishes and how it's pretty useless. Soap works well to separate particles from the dishes, but it really doesn't kill bacteria the way people think it does. We are constantly eating off of dirty surfaces and utensils, whether we try to clean them or not. Baba doesn't use much soap that I've ever noticed. I just wiped everything with sponge and cleaned out the drain-trap after. I'm sure the soft water makes this a better option, since it won't leave residue on glasses, than it would be if I did that at the apartment.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 06-26-2012 at 08:03 AM.

I'm gonna gripe freely here for a little. Might not be 100% accurate on how I feel about certain issues, probably going to end up leaving sides of the argument out, just feeling kind of fed up about some of the shit I'm seeing on the forums and wanted to exhale.

-Middle-age women and body image issues: I know I am sometimes overly sensitive to my age and how I am represented here as a result, but I'm pretty fed up with middle-age women dominating threads with their self-image issues. I am not trying to invalidate their experiences, but I feel that they are trying to invalidate others'! I really dislike the She-Grok thread for a number of reasons, and this is largely one of them (especially lately, ugh). If you are male, tread lightly in that thread, because they will rip you up. I dislike feeling ignored and unwelcome because I'm not a post-menopausal woman when I post there. A couple of users made petty comments to me when I made some comparisons about pre and post menopausal behavior/effects on the body. It was not worth messaging them about because it simply made me angry, but I have seen them make similar comments around the forum, completely unwarranted, and it irks me. They enjoy being shit-stirrers, it would appear, and I honestly just wish they would leave and take their "it's hormonal! I'm such a special flower!" comments elsewhere. There are a number of journals that I don't read anymore for these same reasons. they seem like nice enough people, but comments made here and there come across to me as very accusatory and like these women don't have a good awareness of how they really affect the people around them. Very self-centered, I suppose.

-Eating disorders: We all have our own biases. Mine is that I chose to tackle body issues (losing some fat) and mental health at the same time...but I do not think many others should. I am reading the journal of one particular user and they come across as (exaggeration/generalization I suppose) someone who is fresh out of the crazy-house (been there myself) and is NOT in a good place to start tackling diet issues via the Primal Blueprint. There's a lot of talk about obsessive thoughts on food and anxiety over food and eating, along with exercising for punishment, and of course Prince Herbert is chiming in too. This is not a healthy place for that frame of mind to be, even if she is getting outside help. I don't have the cure for anorexia, but I don't seem Primal alone helping this woman and I have seen people attempt to help her and be rebuffed. I think that she is going to have to wade through this battle on her own, like most everyone else does, but she just has not realized this yet. I also think supplements/SSRIs could potentially be very helpful for her, but I suggested this once and she said she wanted to handle the food issues before the mental issues (?).

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Prince Herbert. *snicker*

Aghm.

Um, from your description (not sure which journal it is, I only follow a few) but food issues are often symptems of mental issues, not issues themselves. I don't get it. But maybe it's easier for us to realize that because we're a little further along on our mental-fix-it journeys.

Well you might be young and relatively slender, but I doubt I'm the only one around here that thinks you're pretty cool anyway
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

I don't think it was the coffee, as I was clearly irritated before I started drinking it (see post above!), but I am finding I have little patience for some people today! I shall name names: I am coming to understand why Darth dislikes PaleoBird. I think she is a lovely woman, but perhaps a bit forgetful about the fact that not everyone is doing as well as she is (and I'm so glad she is, with beating cancer and all). I don't think she intends to be purposely rude, but she often makes belittling comments about age and not needing supplements. As you may have guessed, as someone who has needed and continues to need supplements in order to function well (mentally and physically), I take this personally!

I do think you are right about being a little further along in our self-fix-it projects. It is all too easy for me to say "This is how you fix yourself!" or "you need to have this frame of mind!" I get very frustrated knowing that it doesn't matter how many times I tell someone (Boyfriend!!!!) this stuff, the person has to learn it for themselves. It's a shitty, hard journey. I never try to deceive anyone about that, but it IS possible to recover. I guess I just hate being stuck in the position of "stand back and wait", even if they are a total stranger, struggling to get healthy and support their children.

URGH This IT guy (basically our network administrator among a billion other things, he did most of the things I now do before my position was created in the office) comes across as quite dense, but it's really a) he has a million other things he has to work on and b) we have a very different processing style. So when I have to restate everything and then only deliver one thought or idea per email back and forth, it's not because he's stupid, though it is VERY annoying, it's just that he needs the information delivered in a particular way in order for us to mesh. It's a LOT easier to just sit him in front of the problem and ask questions as he does stuff, but he doesn't have the time for that, usually Switching domains in the office is becoming very difficult to coordinate as a result, since I am learning as I go.

The word domain makes me think of dominatrices, is that just strange or more Freudian than I would care to admit?
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think you're just a nerd =P