Page 141 of 766 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241641 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 7654

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 141

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, now that I've watched videos on the different strikes, I've come to realize that what I considered to be a heel strike was a midfoot strike. I've always run on the balls of my feet, and trying to run midfoot (what I always considered "flatfooted") just felt wrong. Even just walking, it's either forefoot strike or, if it's a slow stroll, a midfoot. The heel strike always felt like my foot was slapping the ground and felt wrong.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm focusing on a modified fox step (I think that's what it's called). First the outer ball of your foot hits the ground, roll in to the ball behind your big toe, then back on the outside of your sole to your heel. I can feel my weight is distributed differently on each leg though. My right leg has always had issues. Perhaps it's just a lifetime of crooked hips, but there's no easy way to tell since they don't stay adjusted properly for long. I think more exercise will help enforce the proper alignment, post-adjustment at the chiropractor.

I'm taking a sick day today. I was so groggy this morning, I was stumbling and stuttering and I did not feel like I would wake up enough to drive anywhere. I may do some errands later, but mostly I just want to lounge.

I took my updated photos yesterday. I was a bit bloated from just eating and some non-Primal eating over the past few days, but it's still a vast improvement from last August. I'll post them later with some thoughts.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Why do minimalist shoes have a maximalist price?
    I go to Kohl's and combine their sale on water shoes and coupons and wind up with minimalist running shoes for ~$10 a pop. Got a couple of pair last year and only had to toss one when I took a spill on asphalt last week and ripped the crap out of the one shoe. And my knee.

They have inserts that come loose and slip around, so I tear 'em out now. It's like wearing a ballet slipper, so it's good I'm one of those guys who's comfortable with his masculinity and all.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I asked about whether or not going barefoot would cause my arches to "fall" and I think it was MamaGrok who said that our arches are muscles and naturally built to be worked. She equated them to bridge arches and how they're strong structurally and don't fall and don't need anything to hold them up. I wonder if it's a situation where you wear shoes with arch supports so your arches don't get the "workout" they need to remain strong and when you go without arch supports they "fall". What she said made sense to me and I'm not going to question it. I have a medium arch and was told in the Army to make sure my arch doesn't "fall" (what the hell does that mean anyway??) and so far after 2 months in my fast flats I haven't had any issues in my arches. everything feels great.
    Yeah, over my couple of years running I've really felt the workout in the muscles and ligaments in the arch, definitely some strengthening going on there. My only issue came back in Feb. when the weather was nice and I overdid it, hadn't been on any longer runs in months and suddenly decided to just go with it and wound up doing 9 miles. Cool and all until I had plantar fasciitis that took me down a few months.

If you're transitioning from regular shoes to minimalist shoes, it might be worth considering not going full bore gonzo until you kind of get a feel for them.

From August 2011 and June 2012. Fat loss = 10-15 lbs. I am not where I thought I'd want to be, at this point, but I am happy with my body. I still want to look more muscular. I can see more muscle on my shoulders than I have ever had before (when I was stick-thin in high school and college) and I like how it looks.

And for the record, those bikini bottoms are rather huge on me!

If I really want to see change, I'm going to have to start exercising more and with heavier weights. I guess that's the plan for the rest of the year!

IMAGE SHACK IS A POS and keeps deleting my photos. I'll fix it later with photo bucket I guess!
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 06-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Last edited by namelesswonder; 06-19-2012 at 08:50 AM.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Wow, now that I've watched videos on the different strikes, I've come to realize that what I considered to be a heel strike was a midfoot strike. I've always run on the balls of my feet, and trying to run midfoot (what I always considered "flatfooted") just felt wrong. Even just walking, it's either forefoot strike or, if it's a slow stroll, a midfoot. The heel strike always felt like my foot was slapping the ground and felt wrong.
    Show me these vids... Makes me wonder if I actually midfoot strike as my foot doesn't "slap".
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    It's like wearing a ballet slipper, so it's good I'm one of those guys who's comfortable with his masculinity and all.
    This is what fast flats feel like. Ballet slippers.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Looking good Wonder! Very badass
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula