Page 134 of 678 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234634 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 6772

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 134

  1. #1331
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,371
    Shop Now
    Huh, guess I'm going to have to log in after work.

    Jimmies are only jimmies in New England. Everywhere else they're chocolate sprinkles. As opposed to rainbow sprinkles. Which are sprinkles. Anyway . . . now I'm seeing cattle rustlers riding down jimmies that are on the run.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

    Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

    And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

  2. #1332
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Of course, you know that selenium works in tandem with... iodine. I wish there were a punchline in there, although even just mentioning iodine any more may be its own punchline.

    Selenium isn't something I think I need to supplement, since it seems to come from a variety of plant and animal sources. There is some discussion of selenium being depleted from US soils, but it appears that selenium content is pretty solid in large sections of the country, including food grown around your area.

    You do have to be careful not to overdo it. If you want to boost selenium, sounds like a few brazil nuts every now and again is a fine option.

  3. #1333
    namelesswonder's Avatar
    namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    11,033
    Selenium is very light in my county, apparently, and I don't know how much local food I'm getting anyway. I will pick up some Brazil nuts over the weekend and have a couple a day or every couple of days, instead of supplementing. They also have Vitamin E!

    Oh iodine, I don't think I'm ready to even think about the bandwagon yet. When I finally get around to taking a well-rounded multi-vitamin, I'll make sure it includes iodine.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

  4. #1334
    naiadknight's Avatar
    naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa/ Midland, TX
    Posts
    12,626
    When you get that far, I recommend this one. It's done wonders for me and my mood.
    (By the way, selenium's pretty much nonexistent in my county and the surrounding area.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

  5. #1335
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,462
    I can't find brazil nuts that aren't in a can of mixed nuts, compromised by peanuts! Egads!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  6. #1336
    fpsjosh01's Avatar
    fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Britain, CT
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Of course, you know that selenium works in tandem with... iodine. I wish there were a punchline in there, although even just mentioning iodine any more may be its own punchline.

    Selenium isn't something I think I need to supplement, since it seems to come from a variety of plant and animal sources. There is some discussion of selenium being depleted from US soils, but it appears that selenium content is pretty solid in large sections of the country, including food grown around your area.

    You do have to be careful not to overdo it. If you want to boost selenium, sounds like a few brazil nuts every now and again is a fine option.
    RDA is less than 100mcg, upper intake limit (according to the RDA) is 400, but you can go upwards of 800.

    I eat seaweed and fish often enough to justify taking a bit of selenium. It's only 100mcg, perfectly safe to supplement even once a day.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

  7. #1337
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    RDA is less than 100mcg, upper intake limit (according to the RDA) is 400, but you can go upwards of 800.

    I eat seaweed and fish often enough to justify taking a bit of selenium. It's only 100mcg, perfectly safe to supplement even once a day.
    I'm sure 100 mcg is fine, it's just always good to know there are toxicity levels (if applicable). Looking at the foods that contain selenium, I wonder how many people eating PB are deficient? Now, supplementing with iodine or iodine-rich foods might be best paired with that extra selenium.

  8. #1338
    fpsjosh01's Avatar
    fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Britain, CT
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I'm sure 100 mcg is fine, it's just always good to know there are toxicity levels (if applicable). Looking at the foods that contain selenium, I wonder how many people eating PB are deficient? Now, supplementing with iodine or iodine-rich foods might be best paired with that extra selenium.
    This was my understanding. I eat a LOT of seaweed .
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

  9. #1339
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I can't find brazil nuts that aren't in a can of mixed nuts, compromised by peanuts! Egads!
    What cannot be found with 1) Google or 2) Amazon? Not sassing you, just saying, you can find damned near everything. Back in my day we didn't have your fancy "Brazil nuts" or even peanuts. We ate acorns, and we ate rocks. We didn't have an "Internet," we had Uncle Cletus who lived a day's walk into the mountains. Sometimes Cletus could find the answer to life's questions, and sometimes Cletus was blind drunk. It was a roll of the dice hiking to Cletus's cabin, and that's why you took a bag of acorns. Or a bag of rocks. They both hurt coming out, too.

  10. #1340
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Account closed
    Posts
    1,534
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
    This was my understanding. I eat a LOT of seaweed .
    I love seaweed salad, but it's all made with sugar. Tried making my own, and it's OK, but nothing to jones for. I do add seaweed to broths and stocks when I remember to.

    Costco had some tasty seaweed sheet snacks but I haven't seen them for a while.

    What kinds of seaweed do you chow on?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •