Page 113 of 767 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 7665

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 113

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I can see what you mean about your dad's response - it almost has the sound of a company form letter to it. It also occurs to me that much of what you seem to be experiencing may have some generational bias combined in it. While I'm not into tatoos, I'm not really against them, but must admit that I really don't want my kids to get one either. I hope that open, honest communication with your dad will only strengthen your relationship, even if the outcome is not all that you hope for (or you may find that it is more than your though possible). Either way, be proud that you are learning to stand up for yourself.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    My grandma was against my tattoos. Asked me why I would want to desacrate (sp??) my body like that...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    My grandma was against my tattoos. Asked me why I would want to desacrate (sp??) my body like that...
    Desecration reminds me of temples and I was once told, "If your body is a temple, wouldn't it be nice to decorate the walls?"
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Desecration reminds me of temples and I was once told, "If your body is a temple, wouldn't it be nice to decorate the walls?"
    All the temples I've ever been in were replete with decoration.
    Thus, decoration must be good in the sight of 'god'... or why would they bother with all the beautiful design and adornment.
    YMMV of course.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    But if your friend insulted your child, I doubt y'all would stand there and AGREE regardless of your personal feelings.

Or at least, that's what I wish hadn't happened.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    All the temples I've ever been in were replete with decoration.
    Thus, decoration must be good in the sight of 'god'... or why would they bother with all the beautiful design and adornment.
    YMMV of course.
    I grew up going to an Orthodox Christian church and remember learning about how the Catholics and Orthodox split at some point and there was essentially a disagreement on decor. Catholics will do statues, but no icons. Orthodox will do icons, but no statues!

OM NOM NOM

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    This is the way I see it (from a dad's perspective). My daughter is the most beautiful person in the world, and if she came home with your tattoo, I would be upset too. It would be like defacing a work of art that I helped create. I imagine that your dad feels the same way, and he doesn't see the defacing comment as an insult. I think you need to understand his side. I guess a long talk is in order, but as you know, guys aren't the best at communicating their feelings. We make jokes to avoid getting emotional, or send generic email replies because we're not sure what else to say. I just wanted to provide you a different view, so you wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much.

And by the way, I absolutely love your tattoo, it is amazing. But you're also not my daughter

I think I understand his perspective, but again, it bothers me more that he didn't stand up for me when his friend said that (and after that, yes, mad that he agreed). It's also frustrating because this is not my first tattoo (though it is significantly larger and more visible than my first), my sister also has tattoos (that are visible), so it's not really out of the blue. My dad is a grade A non-communicator in all aspects of life, so this was probably an opportunity for him to vent a little and he did not really handle it appropriately. The only part of this that I beat myself up for is trusting that he would have my back no matter what, but being reminded once again that he doesn't. This isn't the first time I have felt like my family wasn't there for me, but I cannot think of specifics when that might have happened before.

Anyway, don't want to talk about that anymore. Now I am frustrated because I feel like I am not communicating my feelings effectively. I'm going to talk to my therapist about it again on Friday and figure out what I'm going to do. Why is it so much harder to open up to family than it is to friends or even strangers on the internet?

My awesome steak last night (see above) tasted like "taco meat" according to Boyfriend. I was pretty proud at how it came out, in terms of cooking, though the marinade definitely needs work. I think I used too much balsamic vinegar and not enough salt and pepper. I might try making it again on Thursday, since that's my next night for making dinner and I have two more bags of steak in the freezer.

I ate something yesterday that did not agree with my stomach, but fortunately didn't vomit. I think it may have been the coconut milk kefir I got, as it made my stomach a bit rumbly this morning too. Then again, I didn't eat anything else this morning. Who knows, I'm not in the mood to figure it out. Or anything else.

Did not sleep well again last night. Probably fell asleep around 1 AM, wrote the blog post because I couldn't fall asleep. My head wasn't keeping me up this time, I was just physically uncomfortable.