Page 104 of 767 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 7668

Thread: Anxiety, depression, laziness...Can the nameless wonder change? page 104

namelesswonder is online now Moderator

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Hey, I just wanted to give you and the boyfriend my take on the whole VA thing... I was a new mommy for only 3 months when I got called for a deployment to a demilitarized zone for "safeguarding"... the thought of leaving my son sent me into a terrible post-partum depression accompanied by panic attacks and constant anxiety, the inability to perform my duties (I screwed up ALL the time, got written up constantly for screwing up) and just couldn't keep it together at work. Needless to say, I did not make it through the medical evaluation process for the deployment. They took away my ability to carry a weapon, which took away the ability for me to do another aspect of my job (I was a supply sergeant, therefore I was responsible for the safeguarding of rifles and pistols, as well as ammo). Since I couldn't mentally do my job and wasn't allowed to do my job via the profile they placed on me b/c of my mental status, they decided to kick me outta the Army. As such, I was medically discharged and the Army psychiatrist (who was also a psychiatrist at a real mental health facility) said I'd be on medication for the rest of my life. My current psychiatrist thinks there is some leftover post traumatic stress disorder brought on by that crazy time of my life.

Anyhow... long story short, I went through all the BS with the VA and won 60% disability. Where I live and with my number of dependants, I get $1,000 a month from the government - for life (with increases each year for cost of living, etc). It's worth the hassle. Mental health usually garners a higher disability rating than any physical injury.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 05-14-2012 at 12:59 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Boyfriend was eventually (two years after his 3-yr active duty term ended) discharged, but not medically because he wanted to GTFO already (when his active duty term ended, July of 2009, when it had already been extended by a couple of months), and he couldn't go before the med board two years ago when he was called back (because he wasn't active duty? some bullshit, I forget). So he was just discharged, but from what you've said and considering his permanent profile says he basically cannot do anything (can't sit, lie down, stand, for more than 15 minutes, can't carry a pack, can't run a mile etc.) because of his back injury, he is DEFINITELY due for more from the VA.

I'll mention your story to him and see if he'll try calling them sometime soon. We could definitely use the money and it sounds like it would be worth the hassle from what you've said. Thank you!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

go to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and go to the Compensation and Pension page here. He'll have to fill out the paperwork http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp there that will give them a background of his condition (make sure he mentions the mental health issues) and that's how you get the ball rolling for actual VA benefits.

it IS a headache.. it IS a pain in the ass.. but the extra money each month to compensate for the issues is nice.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 05-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Well he already has benefits & disability, but it's only $100/month. We want to get it re-evaluated. I found some info on another site on what forms to do that with so he'll have to go to the doctor to get an updated examination, but I think he has a good chance at getting an increase.

In order to get an appointment with a VA hospital for a disability claim, he'll have to fill out the VONAPP (the second like i put in my post) and they'll ONLY pay for damages done while he was ON active duty.

Quote Originally Posted by moorewapyunco View Post
    I'm a little new to your journal, but what is the underlying cause of said depression for said boyfriend?
    I've been spamified. I love it.

I thought that post was familiar!! hahaha

For a split second, I thought, "I am NOT going to explain this all again!"

Diablo III is out and I can't play until tonight We also need to catch up on the HIMYM season finale! Hopefully Boyfriend gets up with the "Get the fuck up!" (yes that's the text I entered) alarm I set for him for 12:30 PM because, you guessed it, he stayed up all night playing D3. [[insert jealousy]]

Once again I did not get to bed on time, but I am feeling better today emotionally (my period showed up, yay) and physically. I was going to have coffee, but I was busy enough this morning that I feel like I will be able to make it through the day well enough. I may need to go to the grocery store for some greek yogurt or something because I had no food prepared to make a lunch this morning. Though now that I think about it, a cup of coffee with half and half would be enough. And free! Grrr

Yesterday I was very busy at work, which made me super happy, and I had enough energy to make a tasty dinner. Boyfriend and I need to re-visit the dinner-making schedule because he doesn't have class now so it doesn't have to be the same as it was during the semester. Maybe we should just alternate every other day. Or he takes two days in a row during the week so I can take the weekend, at least until he gets a job. He got an email inviting him to apply for a security gig through a company in Boston and will be following up with that soon.

Despite my super lazy attempts at exercise, I am getting stronger! I can do overhead presses with the 15 lb kettlebell up to 3 times on my left side (and so that's what my right side gets too, I don't want to be uneven), whereas I could barely do 1 the last time I tried. I am starting to do planks more often, usually whenever I think of it, once a day or every other day. I can't hold the position for long right now, maybe 10-12 seconds. Ultimately, I am fine with my sporadic exercise habits because if I did exercise with regularity on a schedule, I probably would slack off once I got to the level I wanted to be at anyway. This way, I slowly build up and it should be easy to stay there once I'm there. I don't have any real tangible goals for fitness, but I would like to be able to run a few blocks without getting winded, and lift up to 50 lbs without too much difficulty (as that's a requirement for many IT jobs). I think those are pretty reasonable goals. I think it's unlikely I'll get to my pull-up goal (1) by June 18th at this point, but a few pull-ups is still an outstanding goal of mine. It's a useful movement to be able to do and I'm all about functional fitness.

I had taken a break from all forms of fitness while attempting to reset my adrenals, but now that I'm going "back to Primal basics" I might start walking and doing functional movements again and see how I feel. Will see. Glad to hear you're getting stronger and I like your approach to fitness. True that if you're sporatic and still reach your goals, sporatic activity from then on out should be like maintenance rather than slacking... good theory. I like it.