Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crock Pot page

aussie1girl is offline Member

Crock Pot

Shop Now
    Hi

I'm going to buy a crock pot and as I've never bought one before, is there anything I should particularly look for?

Also is a cheaper one just as good as a more expensive one?

Thanks

JVib is offline Senior Member
    I love cooking with a crockpot. It's so easy.

If you are like me you are going to look for the largest size you can find (I love to cook whole chickens and large roasts).

I've found that the cheaper ones work well , but some of the plastic parts tend to break off after about a year..which then makes them pretty useless. So I look for ones with metal hinges (or better yet a lift off top with no hinges) and handles. I also recommend ones that will go to "keep warm" when the meal is done. I've had some times in the past where I've been a few hours late getting home and my meal was over cooked (not that I didn't eat it anyway, but it wasn't as good).
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The more expensive ones have timers and stuff to change the heat levels while you are gone. I find that my simple one works very well- there are three heat settings and that's it. Crockpots are made to be left alone for hours on end, and most things will be fine. Don't ever cook chicken on high or for more than six hours, though.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Size - you want to make certain it's large enough to fit the standard size roast you will want to cook or a whole chicken. I'd recommend a 5 quart.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I use an inexpensive Rival crockpot--must be ten years old at least, and attach a timer if I want to time cook. They all operate the same, so size is more important than brand. I agree a 4-5 qt pot will hold a whole chicken or a sizable(4-6lb) roast. I think all of them now have the removable crock, which is important for cleaning.

Oh, do get a lid that just lifts off with no hinges; makes easier to clean and store.
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 07-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

aussie1girl is offline Member
    Thanks for your responses, I do appreciate them This forum rocks

I will look for a 5 quart one and one with metal hinges.

Now I just have to find some good recipes.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie1girl View Post
    Thanks for your responses, I do appreciate them This forum rocks

I will look for a 5 quart one and one with metal hinges.

Now I just have to find some good recipes.
    Search this site or google and you will get tons of recipes.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Paleobird Guest
    Try this site for inspiration : A Year of Slow Cooking

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Removable crock. Maybe they all come that way now, I don't know, but I know my first crock pot was one piece and it was a PITA to clean. I was glad when I dropped and broke it so I could buy a new one. Otherwise, they all work pretty much the same. You'll just pay more for electronic controls and timers and stuff, but for slow cooking, I don't think that's so important.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I used a 5qt crock for years, but feeding a family of 5, I switched to an 8qt this year and I'll never go back. It's perfect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast