Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My Leptin Reset - With Photos page 7

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Can't remember the Doctor's name, but he said (and I quote loosely) "Your body isn't going to utilize stored body fat for energy if your daily intake matches your body's needs."

So, maybe 'calories' don't count, but the amount of food we eat certainly does IMHO.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    What, you mean that you are losing weight by reducing the amount you eat? It can't be true! Do you believe the earth is flat too, that the human body is a bomb calorimeter, that hormones are irrelevant!!
    Why, I actually DO believe all those things! Maybe that is why reducing my food is working, 'cuz I don't know any better!

JK obviously, it makes me laugh when all these silly people get up in arms at the very idea that what you weigh might be related to how much you eat. It seems kinda obvious to me.
    I know that there are people who seem to fall outside of this. If they eat more, they don't gain and if they eat less, they don't lose. I'm just not one of them. drat

It took me 7 months to get healthy on the PB, but it wasn't until I started eating less of that healthy Primal food that I actually started dropping weight. The leptin reset has really helped with that too.

I'm glad to see it's working for you.
    I am cautiously optimistic about the weight loss. Truth be told, whenever I try something new (within low carb eating), I usually start losing weight and inches, but it always seems to be a magic spell that gets broken in a few weeks, even though I keep up whatever change I have made.

One time, I lost around 7 pounds by increasing my food about 30%. Figure that one out! But, it did not last...

I'm hoping that this will work because it is finally the thing I should have been doing all along.

Thanks for the visit and the comments, Em!
    Last edited by RSL; 07-30-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    Can't remember the Doctor's name, but he said (and I quote loosely) "Your body isn't going to utilize stored body fat for energy if your daily intake matches your body's needs."

So, maybe 'calories' don't count, but the amount of food we eat certainly does IMHO.
    I agree with that, but I think it is incomplete. I would add - "And sometimes your body isn't going to utilize stored body fat for energy even if your daily intake is less than what your body needs, if you have Fat Storage Disregulation."

Thanks for your comment! Someday we'll get this all figured out. Or maybe never.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

RSL
    Day 20 of the Leptin Reset

Click here to see my actual menu for yesterday.

1835 calories
    145.9g fat (71.6%)
    105.4g protein (44.4g at breakfast)
    25g total carbs
    6.2g fiber
    18.8g net carbs

Yesterday, I got up around 6:00 am, ate breakfast around 6:15 am, fasted for around 5 hours, ate lunch around 11:30 am, fasted for around 5 hours, ate dinner around 5:30 pm, stayed up too late on the computer (bad) and did not get into bed until 10:40 pm and it took over an hour to fall asleep. I slept through the night and woke up without an alarm around 6:45 am this morning.

I will take my full measurements on Sunday morning. I weighed this morning and took my neck, waist and hip measurements. Since yesterday morning, I lost 0.4 pounds on the scale and 1/8" around my hips.

In the past 6 days, since dropping my fat 25g and my protein 14g, I have:

Lost 1/8" around my neck
    Lost 5/8" around my waist
    Lost 1/8" around my hips
    Lost 2.4 pounds of body fat (from 36% body fat to 35.3%)
    Lost 1.4 pound of lean mass (presumably water)
    Lost 3.8 pounds on the scale
    Lost 0.010 points on my waist-to-height ratio
    Lost 0.013 points on my waist-to-hip ratio
    Rebecca

RSL
    Day 21 of the Leptin Reset

Click here to see my actual menu for yesterday.

1604 calories
    128.1g fat (71.8%)
    88g protein (40.2g at breakfast)
    25g total carbs
    7.7g fiber
    17.3g net carbs

Yesterday, I got up around 6:00 am, ate breakfast around 6:15 am, fasted for around 5 hours, ate lunch around 11:30 am, fasted for around 5 hours, ate dinner around 5:30 pm, went to bed to read at 9:00 pm, lights out at 9:20 pm and fell asleep around 9:35 pm. I slept through the night, woke up without an alarm at 5:25 am this morning and got up at 5:45 am.

I took my full measurements this morning, and I'll post about that in a minute. Since yesterday morning, I gained 1.2 pounds on the scale and 1/8" around my waist.
    Last edited by RSL; 07-31-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Rebecca

RSL
    Week 3 Results

I just blogged about my results here after 3 weeks on the leptin reset. My charts are there, too.

In the past week:
    I lost a total of 1/2", which includes:
    I lost 1/8" around my neck
    I lost 0" around my bicep
    I gained 3/8" around my bust
    I gained 1/8" around my midriff
    I lost 1/2" around my waist
    I lost 1/4" around my navel
    I lost 1/8" around my hips
    I lost 0" around my thigh
    I lost 0" around my calf

Since I started the Leptin Reset Diet 3 weeks ago, I have:
    Gained 2-3/4" total, which includes:
    Lost 0" around my neck
    Gained 1/8" around my biceps
    Gained 5/8" around my bust
    Gained 3/8" around my midriff
    Lost 1/8" around my waist
    Gained 3/8" around my navel
    Gained 1/4" around my hips
    Gained 3/8" around my thighs
    Gained 1/8" around my calves

In the past week, I have:
    Lost 0.008 points onto my waist-to-height ratio
    Lost 0.010 points onto my waist-to-hip ratio

Lost 0.002 points onto my waist-to-height ratio
    Lost 0.008 points onto my waist-to-hip ratio

Lost 0.6 points off my body fat percentage
    Gained 0.6 points onto my lean body mass percentage

Gained 0.1 points onto my body fat percentage
    Lost 0.1 points off my lean body mass percentage

Lost 1.8 lbs. of body fat
    Lost 0.8 lbs. of lean mass
    Lost 2.6 lbs. on the scale

Lost 0.4 lbs. of body fat
    Lost 1.2 lbs. of lean mass
    Lost 1.6 lbs. on the scale

I had some losses this week, and I slept through the night twice, so I'm happy!

In this past week, I have seen my appetite virtually disappear. I am hungry for breakfast, but I am not hungry at lunch, at dinner, between meals or after dinner. I just don't think about food, and I eat because it's time to eat and not because I'm hungry. This is a real change for me!

For this past week, I decreased my fat by 25 grams and I decreased my protein by 14 grams. The first week, I had eaten 50 grams of protein for breakfast, and the next two weeks, I have eaten 45 grams of protein with breakfast. This has kept me from ever being hungry, so I am going to continue eating this way for the next week:

Daily Total
    1760 calories
    140g fat (71.6%)
    100g protein
    25g carbs

Breakfast
    681 calories
    54.4g fat (71.9%)
    45g protein
    2.7g carbs

Lunch and Dinner, each
    540 calories
    42.8g fat (71.3%)
    28g protein
    11.2g carbs

This is basically how I ate all last week, and I thought that I would have a problem eating such small lunches and dinners, but it was not a problem, and it felt like enough. I guess my appetite is being regulated. Does this mean I am becoming leptin sensitive? I hope so! Week 4, here I come!
    Rebecca

RSL
    Day 22 of the Leptin Reset

I have no "report" this morning, because I went out to a restaurant last night to eat, so I did not track my food yesterday.

I did not want to go to the restaurant, but it was a family obligation, so I could not get out of it. I did try to stick to my food rules while I was there.

Within a few hours of eating, I was already bloating up. I woke up a few times in the night severely dehydrated, and when I got up this morning, my hands are swollen and I can barely even twist my rings. I was too curious to stay off the scale, but I did not measure.

I gained 3.5 pounds since yesterday morning. I hate restaurants.
    Rebecca

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Hi RSL

I went to the beach for a couple of days and chose not to look at the internet as my brain was fried from all the reading I have been doing.

Good to see it is all going well for you. Don't see the restaurant as a backward step, it just confirms what you know about yourself. Unless you go to a very expensive restaurant, most restaurants will cut corners with the quality of their products like type of fat. Was there anything you ate that you knew was not primal or that you know you react to eg bread, corn. Or was it all 'hidden'. If the second, it is bad news for all of us!

The measuring is going well.
    Life. Be in it.

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    RSL, I just found this thread after reading and following the enormous main leptin reset thread. You and I are similar height, weight and age and both have thyroid issues (and from the photos, looks like we have similar body types), so I am reading about your experiences w/great interest. I had read where a number of people DID have large weight gains when trying the leptin reset, so I started right from the beginning logging all food and calories to hopefully avoid that. I totally agree w/your finding that you DO have to keep a handle on how much you eat and that your appetite and subjective feeling of fullness may not be accurate indicators. Depending on how active my day was, my calories run between 1300 and 1600 (very sedentary job).

Since 7/10, I am down 2 lbs on the scale, but most of that was in the first week or so, have been bumping back and forth between 138.5 and 138 for a couple weeks now. However, on reviewing my records, probably 1/3 of my days had a major overage, carbs or calories or both, so I have not been as meticulous as I like to think. Also, I have been shooting to keep total carbs under 50 grams--from reading your info, looks like maybe I should be going lower?

Thanks for putting this out here in such detail--like you, I do not find lots of data intimidating or irritating; I love it! Now that I know this is here, I will keep an eye out for further developments. Best wishes!
    Last edited by honeypig; 08-02-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Hi RSL

Hope you are well.

Thought I would attach this:

459: Dr. Cate Shanahan Tells Us That Food Rules! | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

She talks about a theory for plateaus.

Cheers
    Life. Be in it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567