Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supplementation page

robwa1984 is offline Member

supplementation

Shop Now
    hi everyone

i just wondered what supplements you guys take on a daily basis (if any) do u take antioxidants, vitamin D/calcuium,bcaa supplements . And what are people's thoughts on creatine?

cheers

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Fish oil is good. A multi-vitamin may also be good if you have a high activity level, if you don't, I don't think it's important.

Vit-D if you're up in the north or just don't catch enough sunshine. I'm from Portugal, so I don't need to supplement Vit-D.

Zinc if you don't usually eat liver or eggs. Magnesium could be a good one as well (Citrate). Potassium might be a worthy addition if you don't eat bananas, avocados or potatoes (I eat all of that so...).

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Hi robwa, and welcome to the forum.

I take magnesium daily. It supposedly is lacking in almost everyone's diet and is important for many things including glucose metabolism. I tested my blood glucose a few weeks after starting it, but didn't see a marked improvement in glucose levels (then again, they weren't terribly bad to start with).

I take BCAAs pre-workout if I am fasted prior to training (which I almost always am) to prevent muscle catabolism (got the idea from Leangains: Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health).

I take fish oil if I ate nuts, poultry or some other high omega-6 food. Otherwise I just eat oily fish (sardines/mackerel) several times a week.

In the winter I take vitamin D daily, but now that it's summer I only take it if I have severely limited outdoor time for some reason. On days off I "lay out" for ~30 minutes to get my D naturally :-). I really should get my levels tested so I know what dose I need.

I eat a little bit of kimchi and drink a small cup of beef bone broth almost daily. I kinda see these things as supplements.

I just started taking creatine this week. I'm not loading it (just taking 5g/day), but I will report back if or when I see any positive results.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I take a prenatal vitamin from Now Foods and vit D. I stopped the magnesium citrate (Natural Calm) when I got pregnant...not sure if its safe.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

thanks for the great feedback guys.

I found the creatine gives a slight improvement muscle wise when your on it. I think the extra water within the muscle tissue gives that extra bit of strength.although its not much. How do u usually take it as its supposed to be taken with a high sugar content? orange or apple juice,is this true

cheers again

Quote Originally Posted by robwa1984 View Post
    thanks for the great feedback guys.
    How do u usually take it as its supposed to be taken with a high sugar content?
    I've been taking it with my post-workout meal which is lots of lean meat and potatoes. I eat lower carb and within Primal guidlines except for my post-workout meal which is quite high-carb (probably in the 200g range). I do this because I'm following Leangains. Google it for more info if you're interested.

As far as it being true, the theory makes sense (greater uptake of all nutrients when insulin is higher), but who knows.

do u train most days then? I usually go higher carbs on training days but i usually only train every 6/7 days. on a High intense program. Which would leave my rest days low carbs. I don't think a glass of fresh orange juice mixes with water when on creatine would make a huge impact on the primal diet principles would it?

Quote Originally Posted by robwa1984 View Post
    do u train most days then? I usually go higher carbs on training days but i usually only train every 6/7 days. on a High intense program. Which would leave my rest days low carbs. I don't think a glass of fresh orange juice mixes with water when on creatine would make a huge impact on the primal diet principles would it?
    I train 3-4x/week. I don't think a glass of orange juice post-workout once a week would have any negative impact. However, If you're going higher carb, I believe it is better to get most of your carbs from starch (sweet potato/ regular potato/rice) rather than fruit as fructose is used for liver glycogen synthesis (and then to general energy requirements or body fat after liver glycogen is full) and not muscle glycogen like starch/glucose is.

Paleobird Guest
    I know I'm a bit of an oddball around here for saying this but it's my opinion. We eat the healthiest diet in the world. I don't need supplements. I don't take supplements. I feel fine. I would rather eat and drink my vitamins and minerals and get out in the sun for my D than take pills. I think the supplement industry has manufactured these "needs" and "deficiencies" in everyone's minds to sell their products.

p.s. Congrats to Heather on the impending Grokling!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I take a multi and additional B complex, magnesium and iodine. I have migraines and the magnesium and iodine help with that. I also take a probiotic (for now, but not forever) and fish oil.

I stress out my body pretty hard right now, physically and emotionally, and it's nothing I can change for at least the next year, so I supplement. Would it be more primal to make life changes instead? Sure. Is it possible right now? Nope. So there ya go.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast