Thread: Bruised Heel, or Gout?? page

wilberfan is offline Senior Member

Question Bruised Heel, or Gout??

Primal Fuel
    The bottom of my left heel became tender late last week--imagine coming down hard on a pebble while walking barefoot, for example (although I have no memory of doing anything like that).

This is probably day 5, and it's still tender (although slightly improved from last week).

I assumed bruise--but I thought about two things today that made me wonder about the possibility of gout: A family friend said he had gout in his heel the last time I was over there (I didn't know that was a place gout struck), and I had a first-ever kidney stone attack last week. (Aren't gout and kidney stones both connected to uric acid imbalance, or something??)

Would gout in your heel feel anything like a bruise?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    (Aren't gout and kidney stones both connected to uric acid imbalance, or something??)
    Uric acid is a byproduct of fructose metabolism.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Just out of curiosity, is it more sore in the morning when you first wake up, or after you've been walking around on it for a while?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Could potentially be plantar fasciitis as well.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is it more sore in the morning when you first wake up, or after you've been walking around on it for a while?
    I'd say after walking around on it for awhile... (I just got up, for example, and it's not too bad at all at the moment.)

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member
    Never heard of gout in the heel, it is in the joints. Also a sign of gout would be redness and swelling
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

From Dr. Weil's page:

Gout is a painful, arthritic condition of the joints. It usually strikes the big toes, but it can also affect the ankles, heels, knees, wrists, fingers and elbows.
    And, like I said, my elderly friend was complaining of gout in his heel (although I didn't clarify with him exactly what that meant...)...

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    Gout is one of those things that if you have it, you know it. I ended up going to urgent care on several occasions because any pressure at all on my foot was excruciating. If it comes and goes and you can still put pressure on it, it's probably either just a bruise or something else. If it tends to get worse, or the soreness moves to the other foot, etc, you may want to have your uric acid level tested.

I take a daily medication now to control my uric acid levels and luckily havent had any issues in about two years.

Good luck

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    One leg might be shorter than the other causing one heel to hit harder when you walk. That may be something to consider.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvalhion View Post
    Gout is one of those things that if you have it, you know it. I ended up going to urgent care on several occasions because any pressure at all on my foot was excruciating.
    Very true. I had gout once about 10 years ago, back when I was doing Atkins. It seriously felt like I had a shard of glass shoved in between the ball of my foot and my big toe. I actually looked to see if maybe I had stepped on some broken glass and not realized it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com