Thread: Kettle-Bell Catch! page

Andrew.r.w is offline Junior Member

Kettle-Bell Catch!

My son and I came up with a cool workout. We start by passing a kettle bell back and forth. Sometimes we swing it back and pass forward again with the same hand, sometimes passing it around your back, and trading hands, stuff like that. The idea is to keep it in the pendulum motion which makes it more a matter of steering it and controlling it more than outright lifting it. Communication and cooperation are key.

Once you get so you can hand it off easily and you get the hang of swinging it, you start letting it fly a few inches. Easy stuff. Again, go slow and feel you way into it. before long we're standing 10 feet apart and heaving the thing back and forth, scaring the women folk, and having a great time. It was so much fun, and the next day we really felt it.

I have introduced several friends to playing kettle-bell catch, and it has always been a surprisingly good time. Don't try it indoors. It really messes up the hardwood flooring when you miss.

jcampas is offline Junior Member
    And don't let the kettlebell land on your foot when you miss! ;-)

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.r.w View Post
    My son and I came up with a cool workout. We start by passing a kettle bell back and forth. Sometimes we swing it back and pass forward again with the same hand, sometimes passing it around your back, and trading hands, stuff like that. The idea is to keep it in the pendulum motion which makes it more a matter of steering it and controlling it more than outright lifting it. Communication and cooperation are key.

Once you get so you can hand it off easily and you get the hang of swinging it, you start letting it fly a few inches. Easy stuff. Again, go slow and feel you way into it. before long we're standing 10 feet apart and heaving the thing back and forth, scaring the women folk, and having a great time. It was so much fun, and the next day we really felt it.

I have introduced several friends to playing kettle-bell catch, and it has always been a surprisingly good time. Don't try it indoors. It really messes up the hardwood flooring when you miss.
    Holy crap, if I tried that, I'd end up knocked out with my teeth on the floor LOLOL... I don't trust my coordination that much LOL!! Sounds like fun, though!

pizzmor is offline Member
    Yes I think I would end up in jail if I did this. My son is 3, so most of my bells are heavier than he is. I don't think he would make it past one catch! lol....
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

szorn is offline Member
    Wouldn't a medicine ball be easier and safer? Not to mention that these can actually be used safely indoors, if used properly.

Steve

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    No you can't swing a medicine ball, and you lose all momentum catching it. What you're doing sounds like kettlebell juggling, very fun stuff (and easy to learn if you know how to swing a kettlebell imo) tried it at my old crossfit gym once aswell. Do a youtube search and you can find some pretty amazing stuff.

Andrew.r.w is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's neither difficult nor dangerous. You start slowly, just passing it, then progress. Remember to keep it swinging. You can't just stop it the way you catch a softball. You get good at tossing so the handle is easy to reach, and when you catch it you don't stand in front of it. Rather you allow it to keep moving and take the weight slowly.

It sounds worse than it is. You do drop it from time to time, but I've never had a close call or been injured. Take one outside and give it a go. You end up getting a workout, that is for sure.