Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To: Shop Primally on a Budget page

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

How To: Shop Primally on a Budget

Shop Now
    I've read a lot of critiques of the Paleo/Primal lifestyle. We all know how it ranks in the opinions of the "experts". Apparently, our lifestyle choice ranks low because we can't enjoy such dietary staples as "chips, cookies, crackers and cakes." And since the so-called experts have so little faith in humanity, our lifestyle is too hard to maintain for such mere mortals.

Yea...right. If only they knew!

That being said, even we can agree with the "experts" on one thing - after going Paleo/Primal, the food bill went up! Meat and fresh vegetables are just more expensive than flour. But that doesn't mean we can't live a relatively clean, Primal lifestyle on a budget. I made notes on my last shopping trip, and hopefully that'll help any newcomers make good choices at the grocery store without spending a whole lot of money. I'm a 24yo guy pretty fresh out of college, so I'm not exactly wealthy. If I can do it, I bet you can, too

The most important rule is to do the best you can. I don't buy pastured beef, free range chicken, omega 3 eggs and $7/lb butter. And I won't be anytime soon. Primal is all about doing the best you can with the resources you have available. I buy conventionally raised meats and dairy, and I balance it out with a little fish/flaxseed oil to get the omega 3's my food purchases lack. Even buying conventional meats, refined flours, PUFA-laden vegetable oils and over a hundred pounds of sugar a year in various forms, the average American still lives well into their 70's. Cutting out the grains and sugar while still relying on conventional meats puts us WAYYYY ahead of the game! Here was my shopping list last weekend:

Almost 1 gallon of tomato puree (4X28 oz cans) - 4/$5
    1/2 gal unsweetened almond milk - $3.49
    Whole black peppercorns - $1.49
    Cinnamon sticks - $0.99
    Sea salt - $1.50
    1/2 gal good quality extra virgin olive oil - $8.99
    1 Qt. red wine vinegar - $1.29

6.55 POUNDS of pork loin rib end - $14.34 (yea, you read that quantity right!)
    3.02 pounds of beef short ribs - $15.07

1.00 pounds wild-caught silverbright salmon - $6.99

Total cost of Shop Rite excursion: $59.15

For all those that live in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area, I'm going to say the two most valuable words you'll ever hear: Produce Junction. It's the greatest, cheapest, most awesome produce store you'll ever see. It's similar to the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld, but without the threatening guy behind the counter. You have to experience it to get it!

5 pounds of sweet potatoes
    3 pounds of whole large mushrooms
    3 pounds of plum tomatoes
    3 pounds of green bell peppers
    2 bunches fresh cilantro
    3 dozen local eggs
    3 pounds red delicious apples
    10 large cucumbers
    2 avocados

Cost of produce: $20

My total shopping excursion cost: $79.15.

My freezer is jammed and I will not get to use all that food in a week. Note that this week had higher priced items that I do not normally buy - extra virgin olive oil and short ribs. I've never bought short ribs before, but I just got my 15" cast iron skillet so I spent a little extra money because I want to braise them for a special treat for myself. Either way, I am eating primally for $11.30/day this week assuming I ate all the food - which I will not even come close.

Food for thought. Start clipping coupons and the savings adds up even more.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-12-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the graphic example of what we often talk about here.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Great post, T!
    Do not underestimate the benefits and price discount you can get, if you find a local farmer (now, this isn't an option for everyone) and order in bulks. I particularly have meats in mind.

Loco Moco is offline Member
    i think i would weep with joy if food prices were that low over here.

but i still really appreciate this post. it's an awesome reminder that - hello! - the simpler the better. stick to a few extremely versatile foods and don't overthink things. we don't have to be gourmet chefs to make some really great food!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hey everybody! CT has a bottle opener! (suggesting he frequently drinks beer) and it's pink! (suggesting he's into men)

On topic: the first time I went to the farmer's market around the time I became primal I was shocked and amazed to get a whole bunch of shit for under $20. Later I found out it wasn't the best stuff (my mom laughed at my potatoes "these will be bad TOMORROW") so I switched markets but I don't get anything at supermarkets as far as veg/fruit goes.

/in b4 "I don't have $70 for groceries, not everybody's 24."

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i have noticed i am eating a lot less lately, where before i could eat 1 lb of ground beef in one meal i can now easily stretch that into 4 meals. thats like 400% $ savings or something
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Hey everybody! CT has a bottle opener! (suggesting he frequently drinks beer) and it's pink! (suggesting he's into men)
    First off, it's not pink, it's red. The same color as those glorious short ribs. Second, it was given to me at an Irish pub by a really hot female Yuengling sales representative, and she bought us all rounds of the Yuengling stout. So there! Hot girl, free beer and America's oldest brewery. I know you're from NY, but you should be able to get Yuenling where you're at. After all, it's THE standard lager. Yea, you're jealous.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco Moco View Post
    i think i would weep with joy if food prices were that low over here.
    They're nothing special. Shop Rite prices are pretty standard. There's gotta be one near you somewhere. I buy 90% of the same items day in and day out, so I buy in bulk the stuff I need when it's on sale. Sales rotate every 3 weeks or so, so I buy 1/3 of everything each week pretty much.

The key is finding the farmer's market. That's A LOT of food for $20. I'd clean up if I were a vegetarian and ate just eggs. 3 dozen EXTRA LARGE local eggs for $4 is a dream - they are BIG and the yolks are a nice color - not deep orange but not pale yellow like a supermarket egg. I need to research the farm. Apparently, they come from Lititz, PA, right outside of Lancaster. I'd like to see how they treat their birds.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I can only get 18 commercial white eggs here for $4. I did spy a few farms selling eggs last time I drove up to my mum's place so next time, if I have room in the fridge, I might end up buying some nice brown farm eggs. Hopefully they'll be affordable.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Man, I wish I had something like Produce Junction where I live!

Interestingly, my grocery bill has actually gone down since switching. I was using stuff like quinoa and spelt flour, and going through more olive oil (and a whole hell of a lot of Stevia in the Raw, which apparently has dextrose in it anyway). Plus, I'm eating three times a day instead of six. Organ meats are cheap, and most of the grass-fed stuff I get is ground beef.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast