Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Glen) page

Glen Guest

First day. Guess I should have come up with a better handle, but I'd probably forget it by tomorrow. My own name I can still remember most of the time.

What I ate today:

8 a.m. - A banana and a handfull of walnuts.

9 a.m. - A very big black coffee with 2 shots of espresso.

11 a.m. - 10 almonds

12:30 p.m. - salad with egg, tuna, and sunflower seeds in it.

1 p.m. - cup of black coffee

4 p.m. - 10 almonds

6 p.m. - Muscle Milk (left over, drank after weight workout)

7:30 pm - Chicken, 2 Italian Sausages, Salad (spinach, celery, radishes, walnuts, lemon juice), small glass of red wine.

What I did today:

10 a.m. - top to bottom stair walk/ 250 plus stairs.

2 p.m. - 10 burpies

5 p.m. - Strong Lifts 5 X 5 workout.

5x5 Squats w/ just the bar

5x5 Bench Press w/ just the bar

3xF Inverted Rows

3xF Pushups

3x12 Reverse Crunches

6:30 p.m. - Ran a 3 Mile Race. (13 miles to go to reach my goal of 500 miles raced this year).

I weighed in at the gym. The scale was one of those medical type of scales with the balance thingamajig. It was damaged. I weighed in at 216, which I think is too heavy, but it might be right. I'll try to find a better scale tomorrow at work. It's 10 pm, Ifeel pretty good, but my belly is rumbling a bit. I can ignore it for now. Feels like a good start today, but as per my M.O., I jumped in without planning and probably didn't get enough food today.

klcarbaugh Guest

Welcome Glen! I actually like your name a lot. The fact that it was not taken means you are unique.

If I may chime in, it seems like you are missing out on the good quality fats in your diet. The Primal Blueprint diet is really a high fat, moderate to low carb, moderate protein diet. Fats will give you the most energy for your workouts. They will also keep you full and give you the best body composition. Animal fats and saturated plant fats are the best (tallow, lard, coconut oil, red palm oil), followed by macadamia nut oil, olive oil, and oil from nuts.

Glen Guest

Day 2

What I ate:

7am - Scrambled eggs with spinach, 2 clementines, 1 banana.

8:30 - giant coffee w/2 shots of espresso

10:00 - 10 almonds

12:00 - Chicken masalla, mixed vegetables, water.

Afternoon- All I had was almonds. Ate a couple of handfulls.

6:30 pm - 2 pieces of cube steak, several beef meatballs, guacamole, spinach with garlic cloves, scoop of almond butter, handfull of walnuts, glass of green tea, a few grapes and blueberries, a clementine.

What I did :

2 sets of 25 bodyweight squats spread in the morning during breaks at work.

My upper body is pretty sore from yesterday's workout and I was famished with low energy this evening. After work, instead of going to the gym, I went to Trader Joe's and bought some chicken sausage, salmon, almond butter, blueberries, blackberries, green tea, almond milk and grape tomatoes. I've got to start putting some time into food prep at night.

Thanks, kl, for the good fats advice from above. I've got to find ways to work them in. Felt starved and exhausted all afternoon.

S72 Guest

Nice start. Keep it going, don't worry about soreness (unless it's REALLY bad) and just make sure to stay active!

That 630PM meal looks very good!

Glen Guest

Day 3

What I ate:

7:30 am - 4 slices of bacon, 2 eggs fried in the grease, smoothie with Almond Dream, banana, blueberries and blackberries - had to add water.

-Stayed satisfied until lunch.

1:00 pm - flank steak, cauliflower, water

2:00 pm - 20 almonds

7:00 pm - 4 beef meatballs and 1 chicken sausage in tomato sauce, salad with spinach, celery, walnuts, radishes, olive oil and lemon juice; Guacamole, grapes and a clementine.

What I did:

At work : 2 steps at a time for 75 steps in the stairwell x 1.

Gym : 6 pm - Strong Lifts 5x5

Squats 5x5 - 50 lbs

Overhead Press 5x5 - Bar

Deadlift 1x5 - 115 lbs

Pullups (jumping) - 3xF

Planks 3x30 secs.

Treadmill: Sprint intervals 30 sprint/30 jog x 4.

I felt more satisfied through the morning. Not sure if this has to do with the bacon fat or not. This was my first smoothie using Almond Dream and fruit. I left it on the counter for about 5 minutes while cooking and found it had set into a sort of gel. Back in the blender with some water and it was all better.

Thanks for the comments S72 and kl.

Glen Guest

If any one reads this, what are your thoughts on supplementing with whey protein after working with weights on Paleo? Any problems with that. I'm just starting out in strenght training and will be training for a marathon at the same time. so I'm trying to lose fat, build muscle and increase endurance all at once. Always been told you can't do it all at once. Want to try anyway.

Clark G. Guest

Seems like smoothies with whey protein are quite popular among the PB crowd. Since protein is one of your primary sources of nutrient, I'd say go for it!

Have you heard this interview with Mark?

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/10/05...h-mark-sisson/

There is a point where the need to consume protein after a workout is addressed. It's a small piece of the interview - so if you aren't interested in hearing Mark discuss the system, you probably won't want to listen to the whole interview. If memory serves, he agrees with the interviewer (Brett McKay) that it's not necessary to consume protein after every workout. I would think that following PB would get you the protein you need.

Glen Guest

Thanks Clark, I'll check it out.

Day 4

What I ate:

7am - chicken sausage, blueberries, black berries, a banana, Almond Delight.

12:00 - salad with ham, tuna, eggs, sunflower seeds, lettuce, spinach, olive oil, vinegar.

6:30 pm - two scrambled eggs, with pacific salmon, one chicken sausage, grapes, a clementine, green tea

Rest Day

Very sleepy tonight. Active at work today, feel like I'm breaking out of a rut I needed to break out of. I highly recommend Trader Joe,s chicken Smoked Andouille Sausage. I've eaten it for three days and still like it very much

Glen Guest

Day 5

What I ate:

7am - blackberries, blueberries, banana

12:30pm- salad with eggs, sunflower seeds, tuna, olive oil and vinegar

2:00pm - almonds

6:30pm - a few spoons of almond butter, grapes, clementines, chicke, Almond Dream, guacamole

What I did:

Strong Lifts 5x5

Squats 5x5 55lbs

Bench 5x5 50lbs

Inverted Rows 3xf - felt very weak

Pushup 3xf

Reverse Crunches 3x12

Definitely did not get enough food today. 9:30pm and I'm hungry, tired, headache, low energy. Tempted by bagels and cream cheese and milk today. I didn't cave. I did eat two pieces of hard salami and some green olives though. I felt very spindly in the gym today.

Glen Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Day 6 (yesterday)

What I did: Ran a 5k race first thing in the morning

What I ate :

11:00am - Bacon, eggs and salmon, fruit smoothie

3:00pm - shrimp

7:00 pm eggs, steak tips, onions, peppers, linguica,

some hash brown potatoes and 1/2 slice of white toast.

Went out with my family. Ended up going out to dinner. Felt bad. Headache, miserable, short temper, low energy - Christmas or carbs? I ended up eating a few carbs in the form of potatoes and minimal bread. Went to bed as soon as I got home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast