Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't trust anything in the store page

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member

Can't trust anything in the store

Primal Fuel
    $5&**!

Just got home with some full-fat cottage cheese (I don't generally eat cheese but was craving some cottage cheese), and it's FULL of crap including modified corn starch.

Should I ditch it?

It's terribly frustrating to not be able to trust anything in the store. I've trained myself to be careful, but things like this still happen occasionally.

Dammit!

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't, but then my budget is pretty tight and I'd hate to throw away so much protein. What I would do is be more careful about how much of it I eat in a day. (I'm assuming you aren't allergic/sensitive to corn, because in that case I'd think the question wouldn't need to be asked.)
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I agree with inquisitiveone.

That kind of thing happens to me from time to time, and I always promise to never let it happen again. So, promise yourself to read labels and not let this happen again, and then be better about keeping that promise than I am.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I'd also eat it. A small amount of corn starch isn't too terrible. If it had wheat, I would consider chucking it.

I agree that it's lame that there is so much unnecessary crap in foods. Oh well. At least we don't have to worry about that with fresh produce and fresh meat.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    I wanted to buy some cottage cheese today at the store too...until I saw the listing of ingredients. It is a shame that so much crap is put into just about everything. Personally I would eat what you've got but look for a 'better' brand next time... Wonder how much trouble it would be to make home made... lol

dado Guest
    what? what is this??

what do you want to trust at the store? get some acreage, work a little first to save up, then plant some tomatoes and foster bovines. milk the heck out of this granny smith; this is really the goal.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I would keep it, just don't eat it in large amounts.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, everything that has a label, you've got to read the whole thing any more. At least the information is available! Better luck next time.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    About the only brand of cottage cheese I ever see that doesn't have additives is Daisy (not easy to find) or maybe organic (ditto, plus expensive, and for some reason the kind I can get tastes kind of funky to me, though probably it's how cottage cheese is supposed to taste). I prefer without additives but I really like cottage cheese and don't sweat it too much.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    If I had the time, I'd return it. Look for another brand that doesn't have starch in it. If not, I'd probably eat it. Unless, as others said, you know that corn gives you problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast