Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new....are there any kind of calorie goals? page

Lereas is offline Junior Member

Brand new....are there any kind of calorie goals?

Primal Fuel
    I've been a competitive swimmer all my life, but even though I was very strong and competed well at college D1 levels, I was never visibly strong. I've always had a layer of fat that refuses to go away.

As a result of my swimming, I've always been a huge pasta/bread/carb person. I loathe to give it up entirely, but after reading a bunch of stuff here, I'm going to give a try to cutting back dramatically. Instead of a bread sandwich at lunch, I have small wheat wraps, for example.

My main question, though, is "are there any kind of calorie goals" I should be looking to fulfill? I've been tracking my calories because I'm bad about either eating way too much because I "bored-eat" or sometimes eating way too little because I often don't eat breakfast, then have a small lunch, then don't want to eat too much at dinner.

Is the basic premise to just eat when you're hungry, eat the things that you're supposed to eat, and not worry whatsoever about the actual calorie content?

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    If 100 people respond to your post, you will probably get 150 different answers. First of all, whether you count calories depends on your goals. If you want to lose weight, you probably want to. Otherwise, I think it's unnecessary. Eating primal keeps you full, so overeating shouldn't be a problem. More important is keeping the omega-3 and omega-6 balance as close to 1-1 as you can, getting about 1 gram of protein a day for each pound of lean body mass, limiting carbs, and avoiding non-primal foods.

My basic rule has been to eat when hungry, but not to eat enough to feel stuffed. At the point of satisfaction, I store any remains of the meal. Really, eating high-fat and high-protein foods will keep you from wanting to eat too much.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lereas View Post
    I loathe to give it up entirely, but after reading a bunch of stuff here, I'm going to give a try to cutting back dramatically. Instead of a bread sandwich at lunch, I have small wheat wraps, for example.
    I know it sounds like that's a good idea, but honestly it's not.

The biggest point to Primal and Paleo is that grains, especially wheat, cause a reaction in your body. It doesn't matter whether it's a large amount or a small amount. You really can't get the benefits of eating Primal/Paleo unless you give up wheat all together.

It's not that hard after a couple of weeks. Right now you feel like you have to have it because you have it in your system.

As far as calories, some count and some don't. You're supposed to eat until you're not hungry anymore, which is a lot easier to do when you're not eating grains.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    What Rita said.

Also, click on "start here" above and somewhere in there is a very nice carb chart where you can find your goals and find a range to start working with for a carb goal.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lereas View Post
    I loathe to give it up entirely, but after reading a bunch of stuff here, I'm going to give a try to cutting back dramatically. Instead of a bread sandwich at lunch, I have small wheat wraps, for example.
    I know it's hard to give up wheat. I understand that. And if you really don't feel that you have any sort of reaction to it, then it shouldn't be a problem for you to do Robb Wolf's experiment. He suggests that you give up wheat entirely for 30 days, that's all. At the end of that time, evaluate how you felt before you gave up wheat versus how you feel after 30 days without it. If you think you want to go back to wheat, go for it, but listen to what your body tells you when you re-introduce it and judge from there whether you really want to use it to fuel yourself.

As for the calories, it's a total YMMV kind of thing. I do a lot of intermittent fasting, so it's never been a concern of mine. You don't need to count calories when you're only eating one meal and a snack per day, lol, but I also know I'm special in that regard! Some people need to focus on calories at some point in their effort to get in the shape they want to be in, others don't. That's a question you'll have to answer for yourself.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Is it wheat specifically? Or is it any and all grains?

For example, could I make brown rice sushi?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    White rice is relatively innocuous in terms of the grain issues (brown rice is not). Nutritionally it is questionable, but that's another ball of wax and as a fat diabetic my mileage there is probably way different from yours.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

belinda is offline Senior Member
    As an athlete, if you're looking to keep carbs in your diet, you could use the following: white rice, white potato, sweet potato, other starchy veg and some fruit. Ixnay on anything wheat, whole grain, or multi grain.

You need to do a bit of reading here otherwise the more hardcore primals will be all over your ass about wheat and other grains. Check out the link in my signature
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Anything you can wrap in wheat, you can wrap in a lettuce leaf. Give it a try.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So far today:

I went to the gym and did circuits of jogging short distances followed by lifting in opposing directions (bench press followed by low row, for example)
    When I got to work, I had the cafe guy make me two "fried eggs"..over-easy, but with the yolk cooked so it didn't run. I ate those sandwiched between two slices of turkey.

For lunch, I just ate a huge salad of romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, kalamata olives, 2 hard boiled eggs, and a tin of sardines with just a little raspberry vinegarette.

I've snacked a little on just a handful of dried fruit and roasted almonds.

Not sure what is for dinner yet...that's my next step I'm taking whether or not I go paleo: weekly meal planning. We have leftover meatloaf, though it does have a single slice of bread in the whole thing, so that would be my only wheat for the day.

I also walk the dog every day about a mile and a half, taking probably 25 minutes to do it.

Based on all of your experiences, if I did this every day, am I on the right track?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast