Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What triggers YOUR IBS? page

Betho is offline Senior Member

What triggers YOUR IBS?

Primal Fuel
    I've had IBS as long as I could remember and was never able to identify anything specifically that triggers it. Actually now that I think about it I think it was caused by a Giardia parasite I acquired in Mexico at age 14 - after I had gotten over it my stomach was sensitive to lots of things, though it did get better and I bet that's when it started.

Anyway about 4 weeks ago I started PB and my IBS went away... yay! I'd been doing really well with it before then for a few months but I couldn't put my finger on what I was doing differently, but when I started PB it definitely got better. But then on the weekend of the 4th I had some planned indulgences of wheat and sugar stuff... totally worth it for a once or twice yearly indulgence (I do 99% the rest of the time) but my IBS came back and it's still there over a week later.

I was thinking it was residual but when I started PB it only took about 3 days for it to initially go away, so why is it now more than a week and still not getting even a little bit better?

SO - my question for you is, what triggers YOUR IBS? I need to try elimination (heh, no pun intended) and since I have no idea where to start I was hoping you guys could share and then that would give me a place to start.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    For me it's gluten, fiber, fructose and possibly lactose. Those culprits are quite common I think.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    If you really want to indulge in something sweet there are plenty of gluten free substitutes that also taste nice. It's amazing what you can create with ground almonds and coconut! If I were you I would rather cheat with something that wouldn't make the IBS come back.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    IBS is a catch-all for "Don't know."

There is no answer. All you can do is your own experimenting. Grains, dairy, and sugars are top suspects. A flareup can last quite a while. Just don't do things that cause a flareup. Some people report good results with aleo vera juice after the cause is eliminated. You may also be low on minerals and vitamin B too.

Mine was kicked into high gear when I went down south and got antibiotics that I was allergic too (sulpha drugs). It turned into full-blown colitis and never let up until I had a surgery.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    My mom sufferes from pretty severe IBS so I'm always on the lookout for credible material on the subject. Due to the success of fecal transplants and antibiotics + probiotics + elimination diet - there's plenty of speculation in the medical community that one of the most common (but certainly not the only one) causes of IBS may be an imbalance of the good and bad bacteria in your gut. This would seem to mesh with your experience thus far.

Bad forms of bacteria tend to thrive on sugar. When you went on PB and dramatically reduced the sugars in your diet - you caused a mass die-off of the bad bacteria and are likely eating things (fermeted food, food containing live cultures) that encourage the good bacteria population. However the bad population may be reduced, but it's not gone. And the ones that are able to stick it out are stronger (evolution of the fittest). When you indulged they exploded due to the avilable fuel, and now you have a larger population of bad bacteria that can survive a more hostile (to them) environment and they're going to take longer to kill.

The above is theory based on what you've written. For more info on the whole process read Microcosm: E. coli and the New Science of Life - it explains a lot about how bacteria rule our lives and how they live and die. I found it to be very interesting reading, and it explains what I'm talking about in greater detail (although it does not address IBS directly - it does make a lot of sense if you buy into the theory of an imbalance of bacteria populations).

I have the luxury of being detached and have an interest in the subject, but only you know what works for you, so best wishes and good luck! I hope things subside soon.

Violette is offline Senior Member
    I get IBS symptoms very infrequently. Once while studying for state boards in 1984, once on vacation two years ago, and once a week ago.

I do know the cause of my episode a week ago. It was the date, coconut, and almond cookies. I'd convinced myself they were paleo and bought em... They had a big buddha on the package. I am a CO and ate the whole package in one evening. Then, I was up from 8pm to 3:30 am with the spasms, pain and 4 episodes of vomiting. By morning it subsided. All 3 episodes were one day events.

Dates are a common trigger for IBS, but there are many others. Some lists include nuts and grain products... Of course sugar.. Hope ur better soon.

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member
    Most of my adult life has been rule by IBS - when and where I could travel, where the bathroom facilities are, gas stations, etc etc - the pain and the embarrassment at times were awful. I started low-carb back in January of 2010 and the change was almost immediate - I now don't have to think think think and plan when I want to go somewhere. So I guess I'm saying whole foods, no grains, no sugar - I'm ok with dairy but as part of low carb I do limit milk. Cheese features about twice a week and doesn't bother me.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Mine is really odd. My flare-ups are caused by avocados, bananas, excess melon, pea pods, virgin coconut oil (the refined stuff is okay), coconut milk in excess, and cabbage. I don't quite know what it is, but I will say that avocados, bananas, and pea pods are the absolute worst and I am in terrible pain for a hours with a "sore gut" for days. Ironically, anything refined like rice crackers or even saltines or pretzels helps it go away after a bit. (Of course I reach for the rice crackers first but if I'm out in public and it happens for what seems like no good reason, I will eat pretzels or saltines because the bloating pain is horrendous). Mine occurs 30-90 minutes after eating and it seriously feels like it's in the small intestines, not the large. But I'm probably wrong about that. But the pain is epigastric. And that's why eating something sort of pushes it through. I don't know. I know that since primal, I have to be careful of the raw fruits/veg because that's a trigger for me.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    There's a particular protein in some plants that seems to be a culprit. Initially I thought mine was related to my hayfever when I read about Oral Allergy Syndrome and the list of birch-pollen-related allergens which included a few things that I react to. Some of them you can get away with cooked (in my case banana) while some aren't changed by cooking. I'm terribly allergic to avocado.

I'm suspicious about other starches - if I have gluten-free sweet treats I have problems, but it might be the fructose in the sugars. I can have a teaspoon of sugar in my tea and coffee though. Also I'm suspicious about the modified starches they use in these products.

One day I'll get around to having a proper allergy panel done.

Oral allergy syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Low FODMAP Diet | Shepherd Works
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

davem is offline Senior Member
    For me I have it down to wheats. Oats cause heartburn, corn arthritis, rice IBS and asthma. Fun!

I can't really think of times I get it except after grain heavy meals, although minimizing intake if I indulge helps. I have a ton of allergies though, and my allergies panels came back with me allergic to most vegetables and grains.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast