Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish struggle page

Rosemary 231 is online now Senior Member

Fish struggle

I don't like to eat fish! Having said that I continue to try to eat fish so I don't have to take fish oil capsules. I've convinced myself that I can manage canned tuna, as in tuna salad, and some sauteed shrimp on occasion. Shrimp I love but its expensive. How many 12 oz. cans of Albacore do I need to eat a week to qualify for "eating enough fish"? I know this would be a vague estimate because who knows what else I might be eating that has Omega 3 in it? I'm trying not to make the mechanics of Primal eating a major issue in my life. I tend to obsess. As intense as I want to get is to get on the bathroom scale every Sunday morning. Other than that I just want it to be my lifestyle. Thanks.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Hi Rosemary! I cant eat fish due to an allergy (only came about in my mid 20's I grew up on fish!), but I can eat shellfish, so I try to include clams, mussels, scallops, lobster, crab and shrimp whenever I can. I live in Southern New England, so it's pretty easy to get. I use walnut oil, as well, but I do not take fish oil capsules. Locally, mussels are probably the cheapest, but have a stronger flavor.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure what flavors turn you off with fish, BUT, you might consider giving sushi a try. I am not a fish lover either. Something about the...well...fishiness of it all. I have managed to eat some super fresh say grilled mahi mahi while on vacation in the Caribbean...but since I live landlocked finding super fresh fish like that here is not possible. I am also like you, I can eat canned tuna in tuna salad, and recently I started making salmon cakes with canned salmon and those are good (especially with the ginger mayo from Everyday Paleo).

Funny thing is, when uncooked, fish tastes totally different. They say the oils change when it is cooked so the flavors change. If you haven't tried it, give sushi a swing. Good options are salmon, yellowtail, maguro, and super white tuna. To me none of them have a 'fishy' flavor, with the white tuna actually being a little sweet. You can try them first in a roll, or as sushi (with the rice underneath), and if you like it maybe graduate to sashami (no rice, just fish). By the way, if you have tried rolls and did not like the 'seaweed', then stick to sushi or try a cucumber roll instead.

dado Guest
    what? just don't eat fish, lady, it's not a deal breaker.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I live landlocked finding super fresh fish like that here is not possible.
    what part of CO are in you? i thought there was a lot of trout in CO? I have always seen people fishing in Durango/Breck/CB.

Juliemama and Meadow - thanks for the suggestions. My limits are canned tuna, shrimp and I'll add lobster and crab. I think my problem goes way back to my childhood. My dad loved trout and it was always served "in body" so there it was laying on the plate staring at us. Big turnoff! Its mental and I have plenty to deal with already (doesn't everyone?) so I'd rather just ignore my aversion. I have tried Sushi and it was a "no-go". I'm willing to open a can or saute some shrimp and get my fish duty done for the week. Its just how much? I want to stop taking fish oil supplements and this seems a small problem to get around. I actually ate tuna salad for breakfast this morning. I couldn't face one more hard boiled egg. I usually eat after I get to the library around 8:30 not being a breakfast person to begin with. The morning protein helps me keep going. I'm losing weight and I feel good I want Primal eating to be natural/normal and not be overthought or a big event. I tend to get intense about stuff.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    we used to get fresh flounder, so you'd have TWO eyes staring up at you! But i don't remember it bothering me for a millisecond b/c it tastes so good!

For me it is, Dado! I was diagnosed with a heart problem, arrhythmia, inherited for generations. Fish oil can make a difference. I feel good with no occutrrnces in a long time.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 07-12-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    How many 12 oz. cans of Albacore do I need to eat a week to qualify for "eating enough fish"?
    The figure I heard for oily fish was 6 oz. about three times a week. So 1 cans I guess.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    For me it is, Dado! I was diagnosed with a heart problem, arrhythmia, inherited for generations. Fish oil can make a difference. I feel good with no occutrrnces in a long time.
    what's the problem here, rosemary? is it that you simply don't enjoy eating fish or that you break out and risk death if you eat fish?

if it's the former, i suggest you "man up" and eat the fish. stop being so weak and prissy!

we're talking about your well being here, if you can't get over a mild dislike of fish to save your life, then you are not worth saving.

i didn't "like" drinking beer for a while, but look at me now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast