Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combining Leptin Reset & Calorie Counting page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Combining Leptin Reset & Calorie Counting

Primal Fuel
    After a 4month stall for weight loss (body re-composition) and gaining weight while finding some success with the Leptin Reset, I've come to the conclusion that I need to revisit counting calories - a la - Paleobirds thread : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

Most of my fat reserves sit on my belly and on my bootie! I'm not going select a goal weight, I'm going to focus on measurements. I'd like to bring my BMI down from ~ 30 to 20, get a nice trim waist, with some ab definition, triceps/bicep definition, get rid of my jowl fat and have the ability to bang out pull ups w/o a chair assist.

So Today is day one of my combined Leptin reset and Calorie counting excursion. I invite others to join if they'd like.

Here are my starting stats:
    ht 5'3"
    wt 170
    Bust 41"
    Chest 36"
    Waist 35"
    Hips 39"
    Thighs (R/L) 20"/20"
    Biceps (R/L) 13.5"/13.5"
    Neck 14"

Based off Paleobird's Calorie Counting Revisited Here's what I've figured out for my BMR/RMR
    BMR 1,510 RMR 1,420 (calories)
    Here is the break down of what different exercise levels would look like:
    Factor Category Definition BMR RMR
    1.2 Sedentary Little or no exercise and desk 1,812 1,704
    job

1.375 Lightly Active Light exercise or sports 1-3 2,076 1,953
    days a week

1.55 Moderately Active Moderate exercise or sports 2,341 2,201
    3-5 days a week

1.725 Very Active Hard exercise or sports 6-7 2,605 2,450
    days a week

1.9 Extremely Active Hard daily exercise or sports 2,869 2,698
    and physical job

I'm going w/Moderately active as I LHT 3x/week, and run/walk 3-4x/week with a HITT 1x/week. Include that I'm still Bfing ds, though since he's also eating solids, I should be able to have a deficit of 500 cals/day w/o affecting my supply.

So I'm shooting for 1841 Cals/day.

My HSIS weight should be 130. so I'm going to aim for 130g of protein a day. This is where the Leptin Reset comes in for my plan. at a minimum of 50g of protein w/in 30mins of waking. This will also be my fat heavy meal for the day, to kick everything off. I also plan to eat only 3meals/day and focus on keeping my protein higher, than the fat, and shoot for over 50g of carbs/day, as vlc in the past stalls me out.

I'm using daily plate to track my food. Initially I plan on tracking every day, and we'll see how long I need to keep this up to see results. It may be a lifelong effort...and if its is I'm OK w/that. This is going to make me accountable to myself. I won't be able to claim ignorance regarding what I'm eating. I want to tap into my fat stores and use those as my fuel of choice. As I get an idea of what I'm eating, and my percentages, I will adjust, to ensure I stay in a calorie deficit, to tap those reserves.

I'll post daily to give people an idea of how things are going... and I'll take measurements in 1month to see where I'm at.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure why you put in all those exercise notes. Relax, and worry about that later.

Blood chemistry first, exercise second.

Good luck!

So far today things are going well. my meal break down looks like this so far 783 cals for bkfst, with a total of 55g of protein, which was a 3 egg omelet w/cheese, and 5oz of porkloin and 2 cups of coffee w/coconut "crack" creamer. Lunch is 471 cals w/ 38.8g of protein and consisted of tuna salad (made w/ 1TBs of mayo, onions, celery and dried cranberries over 4cups of mixed greens and 1cup of tomatoes...
    This leaves me w/587 cals for dinner... which can be alot of food.

so far my ratios are 30% protein, 50% Fat, and 20% carbs... and I anticipate the protein will increase. At my initial glance - I'm thinking I'm going to need to cut back on the fat just a bit, and increase the protein more... but I'll make that adjustment as I see what my average daily ratios look like.... Initial gut check is that I need to ditch the cheese in the am... but we'll see...

work out for the day will be P90x Back and Chest - as the heat index is +115 today....

Paleobird Guest
    Shijin13, I had no idea that you were still breast feeding until now. I confess to a complete and total ignorance on this subject never having done it myself. Please be careful. I was not providing sustenance for two when I set out on this plan. YMMV. Consult your doctor. And all those other disclaimers.

That said, I wish you well and if you feel like your body can handle the added strain that is involved in calorie restriction, go for it and see what happens.

Paleobird Guest
    p.s. I agree about ditching the cheese and would also encourage you to learn to appreciate black coffee. You are drinking decaf, right?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I strongly recommend ditching breakfast. The best thing you can do is eat 2 meals a day in an 8 hour window. I strongly recommend making your first meal 40% of your caloric intake at 12pm, then making your second meal 60% of your caloric intake at 8pm. Try and get the majority of your carbs BEFORE bed - yea, you heard me. You're most likely to not store carbs as fat the closer to bed you get. Fast every day from 8:01pm to 11:59am. Breakfast is the most important meal to skip of the day.

Eating 2 meals a day and lumping my carbs post-workout has been a revelation for me. I've lost a lot of body fat and I'm far less hungry than eating 3 meals a day.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    p.s. I agree about ditching the cheese and would also encourage you to learn to appreciate black coffee. You are drinking decaf, right?
    um - no on the decaf... I don't like the way it tastes. and whats funny is I've gotten to the point where I don't need the caffeine - its the ritual thing of tasting the coffee, and enjoy the cup or 2 I have a day. I could give it up... I just don't want to - its my 1 vice - as I rarely drink any m ore maybe 1-2 drinks/month. Considering it took me 3 months of this woe to give up sugar in my coffee I could easily learn to like it black...now to wrap my head around that...

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Shijin13, I had no idea that you were still breast feeding until now. I confess to a complete and total ignorance on this subject never having done it myself. Please be careful. I was not providing sustenance for two when I set out on this plan. YMMV. Consult your doctor. And all those other disclaimers.

That said, I wish you well and if you feel like your body can handle the added strain that is involved in calorie restriction, go for it and see what happens.
    I've been eating btwn 2200-2500 cals/day since I transitioned to this wol, back in Nov 2010. Initially I lost, but I stalled out in March and I've tried a whole 30, tried monitoring my blood gluclose w/o any body composition changes. The cals/move slowly, lht, sprint, and bfing have remained the same... so its time to try something else... hence the cal counting...One things for sure I don't plan on going below my 1841 cals. If I find I'm loosing more than 2lbs/week - then Ill up the cals by 50/week until I loose no more than 1lb/week. Initially when I started this wol - I was hopefull I'd never have to count cals again...but if this keeps me honest and mindful of what I'm consuming... its probably a good thing... thanks so much for your feedback!

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I strongly recommend ditching breakfast. The best thing you can do is eat 2 meals a day in an 8 hour window. I strongly recommend making your first meal 40% of your caloric intake at 12pm, then making your second meal 60% of your caloric intake at 8pm. Try and get the majority of your carbs BEFORE bed - yea, you heard me. You're most likely to not store carbs as fat the closer to bed you get. Fast every day from 8:01pm to 11:59am. Breakfast is the most important meal to skip of the day.

Eating 2 meals a day and lumping my carbs post-workout has been a revelation for me. I've lost a lot of body fat and I'm far less hungry than eating 3 meals a day.
    Tony, with the leptin reset, it's a requirement to eat a high protein breakfast. I've been doing the leptin reset and am on my 6th week, have lost 10 lbs in 5 weeks, losing inches everywhere in my body and it seems to be correcting other issues that I've had for years.

@Shijin, heed what Paleobird says, if you're still breastfeeding you don't want too much of a drop in calories as you are essentially eating for 2.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

I think part of the problem I've been having - up until I began the leptin reset...was the fact I was eating 2meals/day but uncontrolled snacking became a problem for me... Eventually I'll bring Ifing and 2 meals/day back to my routine... but I think it might have set my weightloss back. I've read your carb re-feed thread - and I'm not quite to the point where I would fall into the category of those last 10lbs or being just shy of 20%bf.... I will keep it as an option....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post

@Shijin, heed what Paleobird says, if you're still breastfeeding you don't want too much of a drop in calories as you are essentially eating for 2.
    Thanks Georgette! That's why I'm taking this slowly...If I find I'm not loosing at this level - I may just have to suck it up and wait till the boy weans... which will be no time soon... granted it took me several years to gain all this weight, to include the baby weight...so it will take me a while to loose it.. I also think focusing on the Leptin Reset but being mindful of calories might help me ensure I'm not over-eating... and help me identify what true hunger is, while eating well and resetting my metabolism...

now I just need to get into see my doc and get all my blood work done... maybe I should step away from the keyboard and pick up the phone and call the VA!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast