Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Orthodox Fast page 4

itsrainingcake is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    "I am going to confession. I see you soon")
    Lets hope I don't have to confess what I gorge on this fast! lol. Thanks for your posts.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsrainingcake View Post
    Hello Primal Orthodox Family! I am just now reviving my primal lifestyle I started a year ago. The fast is what killed it for me last time. But this year is a new leaf and I am going to try and do both the complete orthodox fast AND the primal lifestyle.

Any suggestions on breakfast items?
    I tend to skip breakfast and just go with a cup of coffee with coconut milk.

Long Chancey is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your site! Iíve just shared it.

Your resource is actually unique. Thank you for that.

David Garner is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I came here looking for exactly this information, and there's a whole thread full of fellow Orthodox/primal advocates!

My wife and I just started eating primal. I am highly concerned about how to deal with the longer two ascetical fasts (the Apostles' fast and the Dormition fast should be less problematic due to their length). I am happy to see so much advice here, and would only offer this advice of my own -- in matters such as this, always consult your priest. Beyond that, I look forward to seeing everyone's suggestions, and thanks Jim for starting this thread.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I agree! It's wonderful to meet other Orthodox Christians here! I've just begun to eat primal myself. I have a few recipes/suggestions for Orthodox Fast days which, while not anti-primal, may be at least primal-friendly: for example, a *cereal* made of fresh berries or other fruit, topped with walnuts, various seeds, dried coconut, and eaten with a coconut milk/nut milk mixture; green smoothies; soup made from sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and nut butter; a quick soup made from canned oysters and coconut milk; etc... If this thread is still active, and anyone wants specific information, please reply! Also, my thanks to Jim as well for starting this thread!

~Ruth

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone. I'm an Orthodox Christian as well. I do not observe the fasting periods though.

Whether or not one observes the fasting periods (which is a personal matter, depending on one's health, age, circumstances, relationship to one's father confessor, etc...) the primal way of eating gives one an interesting perspective on Holy Communion. We believe that the descent of the Holy Spirit during the Liturgy causes the bread to also become the body of Christ (while still remaining bread). Since this, and the antidoran (the small cube of bread we eat after communion to make sure the communion is totally consumed - it is cut from the same loaf that the communion bread is taken from) are the only forms of bread I eat now, it makes me think of Jesus' words in John 6:51 where He calls Himself the Living Bread. Since I am eating Living Bread in Communion, why would I have any need for any other bread?

I don't know if anyone is reading this thread, but I had to post this new recipe I tried! (One of these days I'll have to start an "Almost-primal Orthodox Christian Lenten cooking thread!) We are in Advent now, which means Lenten cooking. I think the most difficult meal is breakfast. No eggs or dairy is a challenge. Here is the recipe I found and I think it turned out pretty darn good:

Basic Raw Soaked Granola

It's a granola where the oatmeal is soaked overnight with an acid or fermented product (I used a little Kombucha, which was one of the suggestions). I used regular old fashioned oats, and then just drained them in a colander - I did not rinse them first as the recipe said. The nut/seed combination is soaked overnight - I added a teaspoon of sea salt to the soaking water. I chopped the nuts before soaking so that I didn't have to chop up wet nuts, and when making the date paste, I added 1/4 cup of maple syrup - I used a blender to make the date paste, but it needed a little more liquid and I figured a little extra maple syrup would be good. (All the soaking is a good thing - it deactivates many of the anti-nutrients and makes it more digestible.)

I have an Excalibur dehydrator and used 5 trays with the teflex to dry it as suggested. If you aren't concerned with keeping this recipe raw and you don't have a dehydrator, I would suggest drying in the oven on 4 large cookie sheets covered with parchment. I would probably dry two sheets at a time at 200 F (or lower if your oven goes lower). I don't know how long that would take, though. If using the oven I would do half at a time and keep the other half of the granola mix in the fridge until the first half was done.

For cereal "milk" I mix equal amounts of plain unsweetened almond milk and canned full-fat coconut milk. Then I add a little maple syrup and vanilla to taste.

Blessed Advent to you!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 12-13-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

While I'm at it, here are a couple more breakfast suggestions:

Quick *Cereal*
    Mostly fill a bowl with berries or other fruit. Then put about a quarter cup or so of walnuts on top. After that I top it with a spoonful of hemp hearts, some sunflower seeds, a tablespoon or so of ground flax seed, and some shredded unsweetened coconut. I'm sure there may be other things one could add too, like pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds. Then I pour on my cereal "milk" (recipe in the post above) and eat with a spoon

Another thing I do for breakfast is a green smoothie--
    Add to a blender:
    1 chopped apple
    1/4 avocado (or more if you like)
    Pulp of 1/2 lemon (I scoop it out with a grapefruit spoon)
    1 cup of cold green tea (Note: I put a couple of green tea bags in a quart jar of water and let it sit for a few hours, then put it in the fridge so it is ready -- an easy way to make green "sun tea")

I blend all of the above together until it is nice and smooth, then I add a few handfuls of greens -- like spinach, collards, kale, or Romaine and blend well. I keep adding greens until I know there is a good amount in there, but I don't measure.

I find as long as I add the avocado, I don't need to add any sweetener.

Blessed Advent!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Here is a vegan buckwheat pancake recipe (buckwheat is not a grain, however it is pretty high in carbs). Under the circumstances, I don't think these are too far off the primal beaten path -- this is a pretty good choice for a Saturday breakfast:

Buckwheat Pancakes

1 cup buckwheat flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup coconut milk (not “lite”)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 tablespoon honey
    Up to 1/2 cup applesauce
    Additional coconut oil for frying

In a large bowl, mix together the buckwheat flour, salt, and soda. Measure out the coconut milk in a glass measuring cup and add the lemon juice and stir well. Melt some coconut oil. (I just scoop some out into a custard cup and melt in the microwave.) Pour the coconut milk/lemon juice into the dry ingredients. Measure out 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil and add to the bowl. Measure out 1 tablespoon of honey with the oiled tablespoon and add to the bowl and stir. Add in applesauce - start with 1/4 cup and see if that is enough for pancake consistency – if not add in the rest.

Fry up the pancakes using coconut oil to grease the pan. Makes about 7 – 8 pancakes (about 4 to 5 inch diameter).

Blessed Advent!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast