Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Orthodox Fast page 3

Jimcbrooklyn is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Define your religion, don't let your religion define you.
    Another discussion entirely; suffice it to say, as the OP, I'm quite happy letting my faith define me

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    I found fasting incredibly easy during Lent simply by being primal - so easy it was almost like cheating as it was quite bearable. High fat is your friend.

I guess my big issue is really re:Great Lent/Nativity Fast, etc. Wed Fri=No big deal, especially with IF, something I've practice on and off for a while. Basically, I just eat shellfish on wed or fri, and one of the least of all evil grains or potatoes on the other one, and fast the rest of the day. I'm totally OK with going coconut/avocado crazy during lent, and I did last year (even in Russia, where coconut products can be hard to come by, and avocados are....weird.), but I get concerned about the protein, especially because I play, basically, 3 sports (I'm a college baseball coach, I play in a men's amateur hockey league, and I own a small Crossfit gym that I train at) and am incredibly active. Add this to 3 little kids, and sleep gets hard to come by, which, combined with such low protein, starts turning into cortisol nightmare zone.

The big questions for me are, do any of you guys make significant concessions on things like Brown Rice, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils and potatoes? When I'm not fasting, I'll eat, in a given day, upwards of 4 eggs, 4+pints of raw milk/kefir, and 2+lbs of meat, so the dropoff is fairly extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    I found fasting incredibly easy during Lent simply by being primal - so easy it was almost like cheating as it was quite bearable. High fat is your friend.
    Care to elaborate?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    People eating things and calling it "fasting" ITT.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

fast 2 (fst)
    intr.v. fast·ed, fast·ing, fasts
    1. To abstain from food.
    2. To eat very little or abstain from certain foods, especially as a religious discipline.
    n.

1. The act or practice of abstaining from or eating very little food.
    2. A period of such abstention or self-denial.

[Middle English fasten, from Old English fæstan; see past- in Indo-European roots.]

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, yeah. It would be a heck of a lot easier to just eat nothing. Then you wouldn't have to worry about being "primal." Plus you'd be all hardcore.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

AncientFaith is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Yeah, yeah. It would be a heck of a lot easier to just eat nothing. Then you wouldn't have to worry about being "primal." Plus you'd be all hardcore.
    That's true, 47 days of being that hardcore would be a great way to lose weight as well. Decomposition sheds a lot of pounds :-)

I am thinking of doing the Nativity Fast Kitavan style as the article linked earlier suggested but I can't seem to find any recipe collection, anyone have a link to something like that?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcbrooklyn View Post
    The big questions for me are, do any of you guys make significant concessions on things like Brown Rice, Quinoa, Buckwheat, Beans, Chickpeas, Lentils and potatoes? When I'm not fasting, I'll eat, in a given day, upwards of 4 eggs, 4+pints of raw milk/kefir, and 2+lbs of meat, so the dropoff is fairly extreme.
    I only eat potatoes regularly, because I am lean and active (it's also a good source of complete protein), but I don't over do it. I also buy a protein powder (rice) and add it to my daily smoothie during Great Lent/Nativity Fast. I usually do it with 3/4 cup of coconut milk, 2 small bananas (or a combination of fruits), and cinnamon; so that really up my fat, protein and calories.

I am happy with my eating plans for Great Lent/Nativity Fast. Sure, I missed the eggs, dairy, and meat, but it is not the end of the world. Now when these fasting periods end, I commit the sin of gluttony (only to call my spiritual father and tell him "I am going to confession. I see you soon")

itsrainingcake is offline Junior Member
    Hello Primal Orthodox Family! I am just now reviving my primal lifestyle I started a year ago. The fast is what killed it for me last time. But this year is a new leaf and I am going to try and do both the complete orthodox fast AND the primal lifestyle.

Any suggestions on breakfast items?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast