Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orthodox Fast page 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Define your religion, don't let your religion define you.

AncientFaith is offline Junior Member
    Hi, Bosnic, I am not really here to debate but like most people (whether atheist or theist) I define myself by my beliefs.

I am just curious as to how others who share my philosophical worldview (Eastern Orthodoxy) practice the Primal way of eating while keeping the spiritual discipline of our fasting seasons.

yoder is offline Member
    Michael Miles, the Eastern Orthodox editor of "Nutrition and Physical Regeneration" has written on this subject: Nutrition and Physical Regeneration The Great Fast: Orthodoxy, Lent And Real Food

AncientFaith is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoder View Post
    Michael Miles, the Eastern Orthodox editor of "Nutrition and Physical Regeneration" has written on this subject: Nutrition and Physical Regeneration The Great Fast: Orthodoxy, Lent And Real Food
    Thanks Yoder, that looks great! I have also been doing the IF on Wednesdays and Fridays as he has. Lts of good info in that article for me. I appreciate it.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoder View Post
    Yes, thank you.

dado Guest
    i like the orthodox christians. they keep it real

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Define your religion, don't let your religion define you.
    I'm not sure why you wrote that as this post is not specifically about religion but about how to do a religious fast optimally.
    Are you orthodox with that surname or you're Croatian and they aren't orthodox?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Oh, yes, how to live primal during the fasting periods. How dreadful! LOL! First, and foremost, you should really talked to your spiritual father. As you should know, the fasting rules are relaxed for the elderly and those with health issues. Even then, many priests would relaxed to a somewhat large extent the fasting rules to some who do not fall into these categories (like those who are new to Orthodoxy, etc). It all depends on the Priest, the parish, and the jurisdiction. Remember, while the fasting rules are the "letter of the law", one must keep in mind the "spirit of the law". Connect with your spiritual advisor and do what he says. Although for unity, Orthodoxy have "basic rules" on all fasting periods, variation in local customs do exist.

For example, I belong to a Russian Orthodox parish, and the strictness of the fast are relaxed to the extent that non-olive oils are permitted during Lent. On this note, Wine and Oil (Olive Oil) are allowed on Saturday and Sunday from the second to the sixth week of Lent. Sometimes my spiritual father allow "fish" on Saturday and Sundays.

So my "fat" sources during Lent are Olive Oil (on the days above), Coconut Oil, etc, Avocados, nuts and Coconut milk. Since shellfish are allowed on all days, I can get by with 1 gram of protein a day (but boy are they expensive, so I try to hunt down places that sell them in bunk and cheap)

It is certainty hard following the Orthodox Lent while letting go of eggs, dairy, fish and meat, but one can be "primal" even on such severe restrictions.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Zed; 10-30-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Jimcbrooklyn is offline Junior Member
    Adherents.com: Largest Religious Bodies
    There are many different estimates on how many of us there are, but this is a fairly good one, IMO. There are a lot of us.

Jimcbrooklyn is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcbrooklyn View Post
    Adherents.com: Largest Religious Bodies
    There are many different estimates on how many of us there are, but this is a fairly good one, IMO. There are a lot of us.
    Sorry, I loaded this page and the most recent post I saw at first was the guy saying he'd never met an Orthodox Christian! Probably seems non sequitur...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast