Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot Surgery and the barefoot runners/shoes page

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member

Foot Surgery and the barefoot runners/shoes

Primal Fuel
    This summer I have had foot surgery on both feet (bunionechtmy). Even as we speak I am still recovering from the last one (off feet). The good news is I can start to be mobile tomorrow even if its still in a big black heavy sexy boot until @ the 23rd. The Doc says I can get into a running shoe then.

I have been reading about the barefoot shoes (vivram, skeletoes, merrel etc) and am intrigued. I know I need a wider toe base and personally, nothing is more comfortable than being barefoot. Here is my question:

Has anyone had this type of surgery and found that these shoes help or hinder?

I am not a runner but it will be good to get back to exercising without pain, even if it is walking or using my gazelle, treadmill etc. and would like a good shoe to get me on the right track.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I imagine they would be helpful because they will let you move your toe. Also, be sure to go to all of your physical therapy appointments. Physical therapy is where the success of the surgery is made.

When I first got out of my boot I couldn't move my toe at all. I thought I was going to walk away in my sandals- nope, you use your toe to hold your sandal on for each step. But physical therapy got it all working again.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

I had my left foot done first and am happy to say I have almost full range of motion back. I do the therapy faithfully! I have been pretty impressed considering they have done realignment and secured it with a screw. Hoping the right foot is just as good with the therapy.

Any idea which shoe would be better for this than others?
    Karin

Sorry, I don't know. I have other problems with my feet and there's no way I could ever use a minimal shoe.

I had reconstruction with pins sticking out, but they all came out after it was healed. I was also very happy with my surgery- much less pain after and even thouh my healing took longer than expected, with the pins I could walk, bike, swim, and randomly gross out my friends... It was all good.

perennialpam is offline Senior Member

Questions to both of you about the surgery

Hi all and very interested in your topic of foot surgery.

I have bunions and corns but my feet do not hurt. My current issue is that the toe next to my big toe lays on top of my big toe and is pressing down so much that the nail of the big toe is squishing down and looking odd.

About 10 years ago it was explained to me that they would need to cut the big toe bone and reattach much like one of you mentioned. I surely didn't want to impinge my ability to be mobile, climb sand dues, mountains, etc., so I held off on this surgery. Additionally, most people I know that have gone through this surgery really complain about it and say it didn't work.

You both sound like it was successful. Would you mind explaining the length of the recuperation period and the pain level you have during recuperation, please?

Thank you.
    Pam

Hi Pam!

The main reason I had the surgery was because had I not, I would have had one toe overlapping another. I cringed how I would cope with that as I aged and thought to just take care of it now. Each big toe was cut and repositioned (or straightened) to avoid the overlap. I am recovering fromt he second surgery now but here is the break down for the process. I believe because I followed the docs instructions to the letter that I am recovering fast.

after the surgery for one week I was not allowed to put any weight on it and was put in a boot. 7 days after surgery I could walk on the boot. 7-10 days later I am put into a splint I wear on the foot and still wear the boot. The boot is worn for 3 weeks and then when the stiches come out (3rd week) I am in a shoe. Total recovery 5-6 weeks. The first foot I had done feels great. I am still doing my massages and excersises for it to break up scar tissue and almost have back my full range of motion. P.S. Invest in some booda butter!! oh my- you would NOT know my scar is as fresh as it is.. looks good!

Doc said a tennis shoe but I am interested in the barefoot shoes- dont want to cramp the newly straightened tootsies!!

Hope this helps
    Karin

I had the toe that went over the other toe. Pain was minimal. They cut out a triangle piece of bone so that it then went straight and stick it back together with tiny pins that protruded from the foot. After one week I could walk on the food and shower and bath. My healing was slow, so I was like that for four months. If I walked a lot it felt weird, not painful but weird. So on long trecks to classes (I was in college) I would use crutches and swing the foot along. Biking was totally fine.

After the pins were out, there was a huge space between my big toe and the other toes that had been crowded over. Also I could not move the big toe at all. About two months of PT and I had 90% use of the big toe and now it's just fine. At some point a few months later the other toes moved over in the space of about week. This was uncomfortable, but take an advil uncomfortable, not break out the Vicodin uncomfortable.

Before the surgery I had constant pain in the toe and pain when running, so the surgery was fabulous. Would totally do it again.

Eta: I did end up with some back problems from the gimping around for those four months. If I had to do it again, probably yoga and massages for the back would have been good. But I was 19 and had no idea about that kind of thing.

I also would do it again! I have a small screw in each toe which is probably why my recovery is faster. I guess in the end, talk to a ped dr and see exactly what the diagnosis is and which surgery is recommended. I know I wanted to do the surgery so that I was not in pain as I aged as I see so many. I wanted to remain active!
    Karin

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Can any of you who've had this surgery tell me if the doctors and/or therapists offer any advice on how to avoid having the bunions recur? I have one, but only on one foot right now—my other foot is starting to develop one and if I can stop or reverse that, I'd be ecstatic.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

My doctor has told me that mine probably came from my arches falling and then the progressive move to bunions. I got really good inserts but it was too late. I have an appointment tomorrow and will ask though
    Karin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast