Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot Surgery and the barefoot runners/shoes page 2

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks very much!
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inquisitiveone View Post
    Can any of you who've had this surgery tell me if the doctors and/or therapists offer any advice on how to avoid having the bunions recur? I have one, but only on one foot right now—my other foot is starting to develop one and if I can stop or reverse that, I'd be ecstatic.
    I asked the doctor about prevention and he said:

If your speed/movement is changing you need to get it taken care of and one way to avoid a prolonged problem is to have your foot evaluated for an insert. (I will tell you that over the counter inserts will not provide adequate support, I don't care where you get it or what anyone says- the best insert, and I have tried many are the ones you get from a pediatrist that actually support. Most cave when pressure is applied and then what's the point?)

Now.. I did some research on my own as I have been going through this and have read success stories about folks who buy and wear daily the yoga sandals and slippers. Because they separate EACH toe AND support, there are a few that have seen positive results and a reversal.

As to my own quest for "barefoot" footwear, I am told not now and maybe not ever- heal first :/

Hope this helps.. let me know if you have more questions
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm. That suggests what I had feared: my karate training may be contributing to the problem. In addition to being barefoot there, I've been going barefoot a lot more at home to strengthen my feet—I'd been having some cramping issues that have resolved since making this change.

I hadn't seen those yoga sandals before; I think I'll give them a try. Thanks very much for your help!
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

Today final stitches were removed and no more boot. The Doc said i should be able to get into Asics today and that was a total FAIL! OMG those hurt! Sooooo.. I had seen the New Balance minnimus shoes and they are so comfortable. Lots of room in the tow box and with the "barefoot" technology. Not sure if/when I will ever be back in Asics but these are doing great. So much that I am shopping for more in different colors. I am SUCH a girl! LOL
    Karin

ErikaE is offline Member
    I haven't had the surgery (yet? I guess we'll see), but I do have bunions. The left one is most noticable, sticks out maybe half an inch, and the right one is smaller, barely noticable. I have found that VFFs reduce my bunion pain *a lot*, something no other shoe has been able to do. It took about a month of slowly wearing them longer and longer distances and times (when I first got them, my foot muscles would ache if I wore them longer than a half hour) but eventually my muscles adjusted and I could not be happier with them.

My mom, who has had the bunion surgery, says she would love to be able to wear VFFs but unfortunately her feet are a little too wide for the soles that they use. Hopefully as VFFs become more popular they will be able to start manufacturing a bigger variety of foot shapes/sizes. I see you are a fan of New Balance, for a long time they were the only athletic shoes I would buy and they are still my mom's favorite (just for estimation, I'm usually a B width, my mom is usually a D), but for me, VFFs beat NB hands down for bunion comfort.

Really, though, the only way you will know is to go try them on yourself. Go to a store (you can use vibram's website to locate one near you) that carries a bunch of the different models. Personally I prefer the Bikila LS but it has nothing to do with bunions, I find the quick lace more comfy than the velcro bands.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

When I purchased the NB.. I tried on a pair of skel-e-toes. They did not have my exact size so the fit was bad. I will try another time though. We have one place in town that sells the five fingers and will check them out as well. So far though, these minimus NB shoes feel wonderful!!! Well, they feel like I am hardly wearing shoes and I guess thats the point.
    Karin

barefootmerle is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Now.. I did some research on my own as I have been going through this and have read success stories about folks who buy and wear daily the yoga sandals and slippers. Because they separate EACH toe AND support, there are a few that have seen positive results and a reversal.
    I had bunion surgery yesterday. Would you please post a link for these yoga sandals and slippers you mentioned?

bayoumel7 is offline Junior Member
    In mid 50's now, I WAS a ballet dancer many years ago. Not long after, I began to have extreme pain in main lower big toe joint (Hallix Rigidus) and I suffered for many many years until I found a sports foot surgeon and felt I was in a stable enough position in my life - to depend I would BE somewhere for months at a time.

I had major hacking off of bone spurs and smoothing out the huge lump of a joint on top and bottom and in a boot three months, at which same afternoon I got into running shoes, tried three types I had and began again. (distance runner, was doing 40-50 mpw previously)

The ONLY one that worked was the absolutely ZERO drop (no change in front to back higher or lower - like barefoot) "Altra"
    and it's like a ballet practice shoe. Like barefoot. I control every place my screwed up and healing foot goes. I have a minimalist shoe also zero drop, but a bit stiffer, tiny bit, and it is excruciatingly painful. Threw out my two newer pair of Asics forever.

I LOVE the "ballet shoes" and I love the way they empower me and allow my foot to relearn how to grab, grip and watch out naturally for things that would hurt it.

Altra is so cool. I have the "Eve" model and won't ever go back to non-barefoot. Getting my other foot fixed two days from now, but will run today and tomorrow. Then it will be the long 3 month stretch again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12